Will a Factory Anschutz shoot better than a Vudoo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:24 PM
lesley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will a Factory Anschutz shoot better than a Vudoo

I have been looking at the cost of a new Anschutz. Looks like around 3 grand. For a target grade 54. I talking new not used. The Vudoo looks to be at 2350 ready to shoot. Is the Anschutz worth the extra money

Last edited by lesley; 08-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Will a Factory Anschutz shoot better than a Vudoo

You ask a question to which there is no definitive answer. You may get several answers but all would be best guess, they are both excellent choices. Buy what looks and feels the best to you.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only owned a couple of Anschutz rifles, and both were prone target rifles - a 1611 & 2011. The 1611 was acquired in a trade from Mac Tilton back when he still had MT Guns, was probably imported from Europe, and had been shot quite a bit. It still shot good enough to clean the NRA 100yd smallbore target; I don't recall shooting it much at 50yds, only at 100. It was sold to a friend so I could afford to buy a like NIB 2011 found on GB, which I've shot only occasionally at 50 & 100yds. So far as I'm concerned, all three of my V-22s - including one with a lighter #4 sporter bbl - will shoot at least as good as - if not better than - either of these prone target rifles. Bear in mind though, that I shoot the V-22s with great regularity, far more often than I ever shot with either of the Anschutz rifles, and that familiarity with the V-22s could be a large part of the difference.

I'd like to have a chance to shoot one or two of the custom rifles out of the Anschutz North America Custom Shop, but then, they'd likely be at least as expensive as a tricked-out V-22, and a considerable chunk of that price probably comes from the nicely figured stocks the custom shop uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No Vudoo has won the Olympics has it?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Depends on what you want to do with it. They are very different rifles with a different focus.

For a bench target gun, the anschutz is dedicated to that discipline and hard to beat. For field work the vudoo is built like a tank and will shrug off punishment that would really abuse the anschutz stock, and it's magazine system is rugged and easy to change during a match. Both can be very accurate out of the box.

Really need to know what you want to to do with the rifle.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley View Post
I have been looking at the cost of a new Anschutz. Looks like around 3 grand. For a target grade 54. I talking new not used. The Vudoo looks to be at 2350 ready to shoot. Is the Anschutz worth the extra money

You are assuming they all shoot the same, Anschutz or Dudoo. Big mistake.

Like everything else in the world, most are average with more and less accurate examples at each end of the bell curve. Do you feel lucky?...Tom
Old 08-14-2019, 05:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From my experience with several V-22s - my own, friends', & customer's - I'd have to disagree with the statement that Vudoos have much variation in accuracy. My three (two of which were purchased as barreled actions direct from VGW) are very uniformly accurate, as are the other two I've personally seen shot. One of those is owned by a friend who shot it in the NRL22 Nationals, and placed 6th overall with it. Within the next week, another friend who I sold a bbl'd action to will have it in the Manners PRS1 stock w/mini chassis, and since it won't be bedded, and he's already got the NF 7-35x56 F1 scope & rings for it, it won't take him long to get it put together and out to the range. Then we'll know about how it compares to the others I've personally shot or seen shot. This uniformly excellent accuracy is due mostly to the use of custom cut-rifled barrels, uniformly chambered & headspaced to the V-22 custom action. And if there is a problem with accuracy, VGW will make it right. These rifles are quite unique in several aspects, and excellent accuracy is one of them.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM
DavoM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
You ask a question to which there is no definitive answer. You may get several answers but all would be best guess, they are both excellent choices. Buy what looks and feels the best to you.
Agree and by buying the best we can we attempt to take out many of the variables that could plague us with .22 rifles. I am extremely happy with my 1710 and a mate with his Vudoo. Last prone Precision shoot we were cleaned up by a Tikka T1x. The main variable - the drivers!
You will be happy with either, both are great rifles. Just determine what you want to do with it as that will be a deciding factor.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KREEPY View Post
No Vudoo has won the Olympics has it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
From my experience with several V-22s - my own, friends', & customer's - I'd have to disagree with the statement that Vudoos have much variation in accuracy. My three (two of which were purchased as barreled actions direct from VGW) are very uniformly accurate, as are the other two I've personally seen shot. One of those is owned by a friend who shot it in the NRL22 Nationals, and placed 6th overall with it. Within the next week, another friend who I sold a bbl'd action to will have it in the Manners PRS1 stock w/mini chassis, and since it won't be bedded, and he's already got the NF 7-35x56 F1 scope & rings for it, it won't take him long to get it put together and out to the range. Then we'll know about how it compares to the others I've personally shot or seen shot. This uniformly excellent accuracy is due mostly to the use of custom cut-rifled barrels, uniformly chambered & headspaced to the V-22 custom action. And if there is a problem with accuracy, VGW will make it right. These rifles are quite unique in several aspects, and excellent accuracy is one of them.

Just like Dudoo does not compete in the Olympics, I'll venture Anschutz does not have a serious presence in the tactical Army/SWAT poser arena.

When it comes to benchrest acccuracy, the acid test of rifles' accuracy and what usually get's discussed here, neither will compete with a competitive benchrest rifle. To get a top competitive benchrest rifle one usually goes through several very specialized barrels to find one that can compete or win.

It is also not fair to compare winning rifles with the rifles you will get. Just like Anschutz pulls their best barrels for their teams, I venture that winning barrels in any venue are special...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 08-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 PM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vudoo looks like a very accurate rifle to me. I have wanted an Anschutz for many years and thanks to Social Sec I will be able to own one. Somewhere after accuracy and dependability comes beauty for me. Looks count and, if you feel similarly, then you have to decide what looks good to you.

Jim
Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 PM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I disagree completely with the suggestion that because Anschutz sends their best barrels etc to their team and are not off the shelf rifles I should not take into consideration that Anschutz takes many world championships and Olympic gold medals when deciding on a purchase. I understand what you are saying. I just respectfully disagree. Other brands can change their barrels etc and can and do send their best guns to their team as well. Bottom line? Anschutz wins.
That means something to me.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The biggest variable is the nut behind the trigger.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
One should definitely buy what suits their purpose.

Here is why one cannot count on it having "benchrest accuracy" or saying one is more accurate than the other...that is, assuming or comparing accuracy since no two are alike...Tom

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...27&postcount=8
Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Will a Factory Anschutz shoot better than a Vudoo?" No one can know the answer.

The key reason has to do with barrels, the foundation of accuracy for every rifle. The important thing is that of all the barrels produced by any manufacturer, some are better than others and conversely some are worse. That is true for Anschutz just as it is true for the barrels on Vudoo rifles.

To be sure, there are other factors that contribute to accuracy -- chambers, actions, stocks, ignition, and triggers among them. Anschutz has these pretty well figured out, what with the many different models and improvements over the years. Perhaps Vudoo has them equally mastered.

Still, in the end, no one can answer the question with certainty. Some Anschutz rifles shoot better than others. The same will be true for Vudoo -- and every other make of rifle.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM
gmuk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re Anschutz barrels

Hi
just a quick note on Anschutz barrels:
I shoot a 54 Super Match (1410) dated 1965 with original barrel
and 5039 'set trigger'
changed to a BR50 stock - bedded and a FOX 8-32x50 scope

Here in the UK we can only use a front rest! - rear end rests on hand - a glove is allowed.

I attach a pic of a recent 50m practice target - pretty happy with the left group.
the right group is down to me, did something wrong when moving from left to right.
Ammo: SK Flat Nose Match

Anyhow, not too bad for a 54 year old barrel, I thought.
Think of the number of bullets that must have gone through it in that time!

I would call that a quality barrel!

Regards
Gunter
NRA Life 1974
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (202.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg BR54-1410.JPG (386.7 KB, 122 views)