Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What's The Difference Between These 2

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Topstrap44 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I always buy the swivel version, but can do with or without the notches. The swivel is great for uneven surfaces or if you're in an odd position. My work rifle had a non-swivel version on it and I got sick of messing with the legs trying to get the rifle level (but I replaced it with an Atlas). If you're mainly shooting off of a bench, the swivel may not be a big deal.

#8 ·
I hear stories about the Harris models being superior to other brands. I own Harris models and a few "off brands" and have for many years. All of mine see a lot of use. To avoid buying a separate bipod for each of my guns I typically switch my bipods around fairly often. I big game hunt and shoot gophers and varmints quite a bit and always use a bipod when I shoot. I also share my rifles with my kids who also shoot using a bipod. I do almost no benchrest shooting except to sight in my guns so the bipods see actual hard field use with constant tugging, pushing and moving around in the dirt, mud, and snow on guns ranging from lightweight .22's to heavier AR-15's. None of my bipods swivel.

I have never had any of the Harris or off brand bipods break. When I switch bipods on my guns I never check to see which brand I am moving around because to me they are all the same. Harris bipods are certainly much more expensive than some of the off brand models and often more than twice as expensive for a similar model.

I think bipods are like any other piece of outdoor equipment--we all have our preferences and think we have a logical explanation for why we choose the products we choose. I like Leupold scopes and have quite a few of them but I think the Mueller APV scopes are almost just as good for a fraction of the price. So, I own both Leupold and Mueller scopes as well as many others and avoid the ones I think are not as nice. And, just like scopes, my experience with "off brand" bipods has taught me they are as good as the Harris bipods costing 2 or more times as much. In more than 30 years of hunting and shooting experience the off brand bipods have performed just as well for me as the Harris bipods. YMMV.

#9 · (Edited)
Each brand usually has something good and bad. Harris 6-9 S-BRM is the one most of us run on our longrange rifles and pistols. The swivel feature allows for slight changes since the ratty old benches we shoot off of aren't level. They are also tight front to rear for an easy feel for forward pressure. They are really tough but I have a broken one now but haven't called Harris yet. I may just try welding it back together. This was after 8 years of use on our longrange pistols and rifles and a lot of prone shooting at the local 1000 yard matches. Chris doesn't exert much forward pressure but I can't complain because it's been a great bipod and is still the best buy for the buck.

Caldwell's are pretty decent but noticeably loose front to back but can work if you can get your shoulder pressure the same each time. Usually you'll see or feel the gun move slightly at the shot with a cheaper bipod, especially when shooting really small distant targets and you're watching the bullet fly and seeing the hits/misses.

I've got a couple Sinclair tactical bi-pods which are very stable side to side, have a very easy to adjust legs but also suffer from being loose front to rear which is mainly in the top attachment of each leg.

Joe Updike from Accurate Rifle Systems chassis makes a really nice F Class style center section that uses the Sinclair legs which is by far the best bipod for long-range I've tried.

Kinda pricey having to have a Sinclair then take it apart for the legs but does make a very stable support. I think Joe eventually wants to make the complete unit in house.

Some guns depending on weight, stock design and for some the shooters skill in getting behind the gun properly the same each time the gun will bounce or move slightly at each shot with a bipod. The rear rest is as important as the front and will cause a lot of verticle stringing if not set up the exact same each time. Some of our guns like rubber feet, some prefer round feet that let it slide slightly and others prefer spiked feet. Mixing them around on different guns you'll notice they perform differently, most like to have a mat of some type under them such as a bath mat. Experiment and find what suits you and your equipments needs and gets you better groups.

Topstrap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.