Lyman model 66mc discontinued for model 39A - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:55 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by construe24 View Post
I called and they aren't making it anymore.
Well that's the Pits!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:19 AM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The golden era of the receiver sight was from 1910 to 1950. 1910 was when sporterized Springfields and Mausers became common and quality receiver sights like the Lyman 48 were the way to go if you were a knowledgeable rifleman. After 1950 scope sights became very affordable and of much better quality than they were before World War II.

Receiver sights have been in decline ever since. Marlin stopped drilling and tapping for receiver sights about twenty years ago. The Lyman 48 was discontinued in 1974. The popularity of big bore lever action rifles like the Marlin 336, 1894 and 1895 has caused a bit of a revival in the use of these fine sights. We will have to see what kinds of offerings Ruger offers now that they have bought the Marlin line.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:04 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I would have preferred a Lyman but couldn't find a 57MC.
(I do have a 57MD for sale, fits the Levermatic Marlins and a few other models).

I've used the Wiliams sights for decades, never had an issue with repeatability or consistency.
To the guy that had issues with the Williams in competition, why would you go to a shoot with the "backlash" screw as you called it screwed in if you anticipate having to make repeated sight changes ?
And having those locking screws engaged only keeps the elevation or windage from moving once set. I have a hard time seeing how things are going to be "wobbly" if the locking screws aren't cranked down. That's not the function of the locking screws.

The locking screws are meant for the guy that gets his rifle zeroed for a given load, then turns in the locking screws as he isn't going to be fiddling with the sights again for a while. Like a small game hunter.
If I was going to use an FP in competition, I would never use the locking screws. No need to.

And you can still get target knobs from Williams for your FP sight. I ordered some last month, cost was $13 for the pair.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
To the guy that had issues with the Williams in competition, why would you go to a shoot with the "backlash" screw as you called it screwed in if you anticipate having to make repeated sight changes ?
And having those locking screws engaged only keeps the elevation or windage from moving once set. I have a hard time seeing how things are going to be "wobbly" if the locking screws aren't cranked down. That's not the function of the locking screws.

The locking screws are meant for the guy that gets his rifle zeroed for a given load, then turns in the locking screws as he isn't going to be fiddling with the sights again for a while. Like a small game hunter.
If I was going to use an FP in competition, I would never use the locking screws. No need to.
Bingo! Those locking screws shouldn't be tightened down on a silhouette gun. They should be run loose enough for elevation and windage adjustments, but tight enough to retain the elevation and windage knobs. I run them in until they bottom out, then back them out 1 turn. Once in that position, I place a small drop of blue loctite on top to keep them from falling out.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:34 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old 39 View Post
The golden era of the receiver sight was from 1910 to 1950. 1910 was when sporterized Springfields and Mausers became common and quality receiver sights like the Lyman 48 were the way to go if you were a knowledgeable rifleman. After 1950 scope sights became very affordable and of much better quality than they were before World War II.

Receiver sights have been in decline ever since. Marlin stopped drilling and tapping for receiver sights about twenty years ago. The Lyman 48 was discontinued in 1974. The popularity of big bore lever action rifles like the Marlin 336, 1894 and 1895 has caused a bit of a revival in the use of these fine sights. We will have to see what kinds of offerings Ruger offers now that they have bought the Marlin line.
Mauser, that was the first Firearm I bought for myself when I was 12 years old. Bought it with some Birthday I got..And yes I seen the Gun Magazines and Sporterized it It was a pre 1899 example so all I had to do was sign a little form from the back of a Field and Stream magazine saying I was of age and they sent it right to my Moms house..The old man at the local Gun Store never even batted an eye that I was a mere kid and sold me ammo for it..The good old days indeed.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:51 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Mauser, that was the first Firearm I bought for myself when I was 12 years old. Bought it with some Birthday I got..And yes I seen the Gun Magazines and Sporterized it It was a pre 1899 example so all I had to do was sign a little form from the back of a Field and Stream magazine saying I was of age and they sent it right to my Moms house..The old man at the local Gun Store never even batted an eye that I was a mere kid and sold me ammo for it..The good old days indeed.
Yeah now a days the FBI would tag you as a white supremist terrorists!
Old 11-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I currently use the Lyman on both SBLA's, marlin 39's, and my CLA, win 94 in 30-30. My PCLA's, marlin CB in 357 and a Henry in 22mag, both sport William's sights. Ive experienced no issues with any of these sights, nor found the need to use a longer elevation adjuster. I use the factory bead post front sight on all rifles, the lack of a hood allows more light to reach my eye. If you are shooting silhouette and have need of elevation adjustment beyond the factory sights range, I'd say you are using a front sight that is too tall.
Marbles.... Williams... Lyman... none are made as well as they were a few decades back, welcome to the era of disposable everything, however, despite their lower build quality, they do perform adequately.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The longer williams elevation screw only comes into play when using a Lyman 17A globe sight with the Williams 39A. Even when using the lowest 17A, you'll run out of elevation because the marlins front sight ramp is pretty tall.

I have Williams FP's w/ Lyman globes on 8 different guns and the Marlin 39A is the only gun that needed a longer elevation screw.

Last edited by CamP; 11-25-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:31 PM
NVStorm41
US Marines Disabled American Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyman model 66msc discontinued for model 39a

Have you looked at Skinner Sights? I have put them on my 94 22's both 22LR and 22Mag and am quite pleased
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Skinner sights on a Marlin 1893cl , 32-20 that was not drilled and tapped for one of the Lyman/Williams type sights. They are cleaner looking, but not as easy to zero, or if the situations change as easy to make sight adjustments. I prefer the Lyman sights.