Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:43 AM
jjodell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolf Match Extra

I may have too much time on my hands but, Just for the record I weighed a 200 rd. sample of Wolf match extra ( lot no. 21936/23544 )this morning before heading to the range, here are the results. 116 rds. 58% weighed 52 gr.+/- .1 75rds. 37.5% weighed 52.3 +/-.1 8rds. 4% at 51.8 and 1rd. .5% at 51.7 (extreme spread including 9 culls was .7 gr.) Going to the range now to see if I can tell any difference.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:57 AM
hapnin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
WME

Curious to see results.Be sure to let us know.Ihave some on order.Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 01:22 PM
jjodell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back From Range

Just got back from shooting a few groups, stupid me left all but a handfull of the sorted ammo at home.But anyway here are the results from the preliminary, but very limited test.
Rifle: Ruger 77/22 all weather CPC enhanced
Front rest: Uncle Bud's Bulls Bag
Rear rest: Very shaky (read cold shivering shoulder)
Temp: 33deg. F
Humid.:60%
Wind: light and steady
Distance to target: 50Yd.
Started with 10 shots from two days ago thru a clean bore. Fired 5 more to warm up the barrel- .822 then 5 groups of 5 shots ea. of not sorted ammo- .320, .746, .370, .370, .475 for an avg. of.517
Only had enough weight sorted ammo .52gr.+/- .10 for three groups- .433, .310, .488 for an avg. of .410
Shot a couple of groups with PMC Match Rifle for comparison- .599, .889 for an avg. of .744 I know that this is not enough shooting to really mean any thing, but the temp. was not agreeable to the Ruger or Me so we quit and came home, I'll continue the test on a warmer day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2003, 06:35 PM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
I applaud your efforts, JJ. I had a question - in your 5 groups of unsorted ammo, 4 of the groups were pretty decent; 3 in the .3's& the other > .5". The .746 group was the one that blew the avg. Was it just a single flyer that opened that group up?

My experiences with the Wolf have been that the MT actually groups a little tighter than the ME, but that it seems to contain a few more flyers. I never tried weighing as a means of sorting but did play a while at rim-thickness sorting. I was never able to find any significant difference in sorted vs. unsorted groups. In fact, I saw more box-to-box variation even in POI than I did in sorted-to-unsorted.

Good luck in your testing. I hope you come up with something we can all benefit from.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 PM
jjodell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't really know

Actually I don't really know what happened with the third group, It had three shots in a cluster .294 and of the other two one was low and the other quite a bit left. The only thing I can think of was that the barrel got really cold because the next group dropped back down to .370.this makes me think I might have a serious bedding problem.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:14 PM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
It is gonna take a lot more than a half-dozen groups to know but from what you describe I doubt that you have a bedding problem. You had too many really nice groups. The several nice groups also indicate that your bench technique is evidently pretty consistent. I'd be most suspicious that they are just ammo flyers. With the Wolf you can expect 1 or 2 per box in the ME, about half again that in the MT.