Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:16 PM
publius
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shorts or subsonics?

I have always used shorts for squirrels because they dont scare them off. accuracy is not really what i would like though. I have tried Rem subsonic and Aguila SSS. Both should have about the same report as a short theoretically... right? Is there a quieter long rifle subsonic that I should try or is it my imagination that the ones i mentioned are louder?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Forester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to try the SKJag subsonic hollow points. They are really quiet and are very accurate. I got mine from J&G sales.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:34 PM
sub10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Consider using Winchester Subsonic with a sound suppressor - very quiet, but the impact report is still loud. Most shorts don't have much of a hollow point which lowers terminal performance. Watch the Rem. subs as they occasionally break the sound barrier going transonic which defeats the purpose and affects accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 11:30 PM
eo12

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the cb longs shoot really quielty out of the 10/22. but you have to cycle them manually. they shoot at 727 fps. you can add a hollow point with the nastinose if you wanted to.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Jaeger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
go for cb longs, but i cant use the mag with em, can yall?
Old 01-28-2003, 02:01 AM
georgiaboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
publius,

What kind of rifle are you using and what is the barrel length? Some things to be aware of..... the longer the barrel, the better. Autos are going to be louder than bolts, levers, or pumps. And not all Shorts are subsonic.

I have some Rem. Subsonics and CCI CB Longs that are much quieter out of my long barreled bolt- and lever-action rifles than my 10/22 with factory 18.5" barrel, and I've never had a Rem. SS go "supersonic" thru a rifle with a 22" or longer barrel. And they are also quieter thru my 10/22 with 20" Green Mountain barrel than the factory barrel, probably due to tighter chamber of the GM. Sometimes I hear a "pop" from the ejection port using the Rem. SS thru the fac. barreled 10/22, and when you look at the ejected case, there is powder all over the sides of it. I speculate this is from at least two things..... the "looser" chamber of the fac. barrel, and the case of the Rem. Subsonics not expanding enough to seal the chamber upon firing, probably because of less (or slower?) powder, and possibly because of thicker case walls than some other "sub" ammo.

Also, many of the Shorts I see today on shelves are labeled as high velocity (and some that are not labeled as such, but are) and sound like it when shot, so I don't always assume that Shorts are subsonic. Plus they usually have 30g bullets, so it takes less powder to push 'em on up to trans-sonic velocities. Temperature also has an effect, speed of sound is lower in cold weather. I have some Win. and CCI shorts that have a louder report out of a long barreled rifle than the Rem. Subsonics, or CCI CB Longs, or Match grade LR ammo.

BTW...... The best thing I like about Shorts is that you can stuff 28! of those boogers into a Marlin 39A. Talk about your "high-cap" mags!!

(Whew!, sorry this got so long, bored I guess......)
Old 01-28-2003, 02:03 AM
Jaeger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow 28 lol
Old 01-29-2003, 06:00 PM
publius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a 541T. I am shooting squirrels so CB caps do not have enough power. In the past I have used CCI short hollowpoints and sometimes rem shorts. they work OK but i would like something more accurate. I have tried Rem subsonic and Aguila SSS but both seem to be louder than shorts. i want a round that is quiet, accurate, and has good killing power. Am I asking for too much? Publius
Old 01-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Happy Gardener

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Shortmaster is Here!

The best low velocity ammo is the CCI Target Short. It has a velocity of around 800 fps. All Short ammo gives groups about three times the size of a Long Rifle group. The quietest Long Rifle ammo I know of is the Aguila Subsonic. It is louder than the Shorts. You can improve accuracy with Shorts if you get a barrel designed for Shorts. My Short gun has a special Short chamber and a rifling twist of 1 in 20", most .22 guns have a 1 in 16" twist which overstabilizes the 29 grain Short bullet. If you can find a junk barrel for your gun it can be altered for the Short cartridge by your gunsmith.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Dan877

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agulia

I used the Agulia Extra subsonic hollow point's for squirrel hunting this year and found them to be both quiet and sufficently accurate in both my A-Bolt and 10/22 and the large hollow point made them quite terminally effective.

The Agulia SSS (Sniper SubSonic) has the heavy 60 gr. bullet which requires a barrel with a high twist rate. If you try them in a standard twist barrel the accuracy is usually going to be pretty poor.

Dan