Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Nick B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Wind drift of Stingers?

Since I just found out my rifle shoots these quite well (0.5" at 25 yds from an unstable rest) I'm wondering what kind of wind drift they have as compared to a conventional 36-40 gr bullet? I know they shed velocity fast with such a light bullet, but they still deliver quite a punch on water-filled pop cans at 50 yds compared to high-speed HP's or solids. If they don't blow off target at 50-75 yds in 10-15 mph winds, they may be just right for varmint hunting. Anyone know how much they'd drift at these ranges in those windspeeds?

As a sidenote, I noticed that Stingers in my rifle chambered with a bit of resistance. When I removed an unfired round, I noticed slight rifling marks engraved on it, indicating a very short throat on my CZ 452. The only other time I've seen that is with a custom 10/22 barrel I had made up by CPC. Possibly this is the reason for my rifle shooting these accurately when most others have reported poor accuracy? Peace.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Vibe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by DWARREN123
It is not your CZ that has a short throat but that the Stinger is slightly longer. Some arms manuals tell you not to use them (especially semi-auto's). The bullet pressing into the lands can cause elevated chamber pressures, check the cases after firing to make sure there is no signs of excessive pressure.
Not quite correct. The Stinger is the same length as any other long rifle, but the case is 0.100" longer. Engraving the bullet into the lands is a good thing for accuracy, attempting to push the case mouth into them is not. Load a regular LR round into the the chamber and extract the unfired round, compare this to your engraved Stinger. So long as the engraving is short of the case mouth you should be OK.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:23 PM
JohnBT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although both have the same overall length...

Stinger case is .694" long.

LR case is .595" long.

Check to make sure your guns don't engrave the Stinger case. Not good for the rifling.

To repeat what many have said over the years, the Stinger gets the blame for causing manufacturers to use long 'fits everything' chambers instead of shorter match chambers.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Nick B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could you elaborate on how the bullets engaging the rifling could cause damage to it? I could understand possible bad consequences if the bullet engaging caused increased pressure and possible damage to the action, but how can soft lead contacting hard steel rifling cause damage? Thanks for all the info, everyone.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Vibe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The short simple reason is that IF the case is pushed into the rifling, then the crimp is not allowed to expand enough to properly release the bullet. It is THIS "obstruction" that causes the problem. This is not a problem if the case itself does not reach the throat.