New MKIII and some questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:38 PM
smithrjd
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New MKIII and some questions

Finally found a good one, I think. PH1 front sight, PH25B rear. Correct? Also came with a flat plate that I can't identify 1"X 2 1/4" With two holes on the bottom that look to hold screws. (mount to action?) 4 tapped holes on the top. (mount something else?) A sight mount? UF12* so I think it is an early one. Are there scope rings available? Have to wait the 10 day period before I can get it home.. Three scope blocks, one on the receiver and two on the barrel. Not counting the front sight block.
TIA
Ron
Old 10-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ron.

BSA are great rifles. Cannot answer all your questions, as far as I'm aware, scope blocks are spaced far apart to cater for the older longer scope tubes.

Plenty of info at link here-under. Any photos available?..

https://rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Martini_...al_Mk.III.html

Enjoy.

Giz

Last edited by Gizmo60; 10-18-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:38 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do agree, they are great rifles. My other Martini was a Model 12. Also had a couple of CF2's. Always wanted a MKIII just trying to get up to speed. I have seen modern scopes mounted, as well as the vintage ones. Just curious about what options are available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 08:19 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Totally agree Ron, great rifles and some can shoot the %%% of a fly at 50yds.

Don't have one myself at moment, the search continues, but have shot several, super rifles and lots of fun.

Good that you got the front and rear PH sight set, pretty expensive to get these days even on ebay.

Longer older type scopes will mount on the blocks on barrel, check the links here-under for various other mounting options.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=821905
See post 14.

https://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2017/0...cope-brackets/

I believe a member here on RFC makes scope mounts for the MKIII.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...t=scope+mounts

Giz

Last edited by Gizmo60; 10-18-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sights

A Ph-25B is more likely to be found on a mark II. A PH-25C is normally found on Mark III. The sight base on the receiver of a Mark III and first base on the barrel are used with a Freeland tube sight. It is pictured below. The bases on the barrel are used with a Lyman or Unertl scope. The 3rd rifle from the top is a Mark III

Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
One of the members here on RFC is Stu from Australia and he makes scope mounts. Here is a completed eBay auction that shows one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Mount...p2047675.l2557

Here is another source: http://shootingshed.co.uk/oscom/prod...087e40f753eb07

Many forward-thinking individuals have already been thinking about this and have made a solution.

Last edited by rapidfire10ring; 10-19-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Sandy22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrjd View Post
Also came with a flat plate that I can't identify 1"X 2 1/4" With two holes on the bottom that look to hold screws. (mount to action?) 4 tapped holes on the top. (mount something else?) A sight mount?

Sounds a bit like a base for a Redfield or compatible rearsight. Is the upper part partially trapezoid in section?

Like the "Martini" base about halfway down this page http://www.steveearleproducts.com/redfield.htm perhaps?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This may offend someone, but I can report, for sure and certain, that a modern longish bodied scope in rings to fit a typical 22 grooved receiver will clamp onto those target scope bases on the action and the next one forward on the barrel.
But the scope may not be perfectly centered, it may hang a little bit left of center but that makes it a smidge easier to get your eye behind. If you are dialed in for a given distance it wont matter, you adjust the cross-hairs to where you like the poi to be.
And you may not be able to reach out to 200yd without running out of scope elevation, it will depend upon the scope.
My Int. MkIII set up just so with an old Japanese Tasco 20X would shoot deer flies at 50yd and 200yd. properly scaled rams just fine. For the rams I had to use the thicker 6:00 part of the duplex cross-hairs as the poa.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:59 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you sandy22, that is indeed what that plate is, a Redfield mount. No need of it however. I guess the difference between the PH25B and PH25C is the 1/4 MOA, 1/8 MOA. Will keep my eyes open for a C, the B should be worth something as well. When I get the rifle home will see what I can do for a scope mount. I have some stuff laying around.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iron sights

This style of base is more common for a Redfield Olympic or International sight.

A rear sight base for a BSA international looks like this one.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:51 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is what I have, the Redfield plate loose and the BSA style mount on the rifle. With a serial number of UF12* Wondering if BSA used up what PH25B's they had on the shelve prior to going with the PH25C. Although I don't now how many MKIII's they made in the first year of production.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sight

Here is a Martini that was auctioned some time back. It apparently belonged to Marine Corps smallbore shooter. It has a Redfield International rear sight mounted on a Redfield base. The base was probably made for the rifle special. The holes match those of the Action.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Redfield did make a fitted plate for the BSA Martini action that is fitted for the original mounting holes. Otherwise, why offer one? I have at least one of them. On a rare occasion, they can be found.