Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 PM
roklok
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3 inch Shopkeeper Bearcat ejector rod FIX !!

I bought a 3 inch shopkeeper Bearcat a few months back, and immediately discovered what a PITA getting the empties out of the cylinder was. I figured that I would have to fix the issue or get rid of the revolver. I liked every other aspect of the revolver, so I decided to try to fix it.

I ordered an ejector rod for a 4 inch Bearcat. I then lengthened the slot in the ejector rod housing towards the muzzle. There is a lot of wasted space here, lengthening the slot utilizes this. The ejector rod screw is fairly large, and limited the forward travel of ejector rod. To fix this, I tightened screw, and marked rear face. I then notched the screw to nearly half the diameter, to allow more forward travel of the ejector rod.

I then removed material from the front of the ejector rod. this allowed more forward travel, but it necessitated crosspinning the rod to the ejector rod fingerpiece, as the rod is mushroomed to keep rod secure. I epoxied and pinned the fingerpiece to the rod. I then cut off the rod to be even with frame at cylinder window.

This still did provide enough length to fully extract cases, so I drilled and tapped the rear of ejector rod for a 3-56 screw. This utilizes the gap between the front face of cylinder and rear of frame. A solid rod can not be used here because the cylinder would not be able to be removed. To remove cylinder, the 3-56 screw is removed from the rear of the ejector rod, thus allowing the cylinder to be removed.

The finished result is a 3" Bearcat with enough ejector rod stroke to completely extract fired cases. Makes this gun truly enjoyable to shoot. As a side note, when I filed the half moon in the fingerpiece of ejector rod to clear the base pin, I left a lot more material on. The factory had removed a lot more material here than necessary. The larger fingerpiece is a lot more comfortable to use than original rod. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKziBRLjvU
Old 09-16-2019, 11:59 PM
copfish
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Excellent fix for a great little gun! I hate the funky ejector, gashed myself pretty good.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool! Great job on the fix. Thanks for posting the video, now I just need to get one of those Bearcats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 AM
Uncle Howie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Interesting project... thanks for posting!

I, too, love the Shopkeeper, but dislike the ejector rod button. I have a spare SS ejector rod from a New Bearcat that I plan to trim to fit. Or... maybe I’ll try to custom fit one with either a bullseye or crescent style button (different style “crescent” than stock Shopkeeper rod).

In the meantime, here is what works well for me: when preparing to eject an empty, just rotate cylinder slightly, so that the rod is against the chamber wall. When you go to eject the cartridge, the ejector rod pushes on the case mouth, ejecting the empty quite nicely.

I can’t help wonder if that’s what Ruger intended for us. All of my “regular” Bearcats, as well as my spare ejector rods, have a tapered tip. My Shopkeeper ejector rod is trimmed at 90 degrees, with just the very slightest chamfer on it. Seems tailor-made for pushing cases out by the edge of their mouth...
Old 09-24-2019, 08:06 AM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tks for the info folks... new Shopkeeper owner here...

one thing i've noticed is that in most on-line reviews, pictures of the ejector rod's half-moon finger piece show the finger piece moving all the way to the rear...

this can't happen on my Shopkeeper, as the ejector rod spring won't compress enough:

the result is that the business end of the ejector rod barely protrudes out of the cylinder chamber for ejecting empties:

my ejector rod's end is slightly beveled all around, not sharp-edged...

i was a bit worried, but went to the range for an initial fit and function check and ran 120 rounds of various ammo: CCI HV .22Shorts, Winchester M-22, CCI SV, Aguila Super Extra, Aguila HV, and CCI minimags...

my Shopkeeper really liked the minimags for accuracy and ease of extraction... and the tip from the kind gentleman Uncle Howie worked great... rotating the cylinder to have the rod catch the edge of an empty works fine... by the end of the range session i was zipping the empties onto the bench top...

this little revolver is a keeper for sure!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Last edited by linux_author; 09-24-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:25 PM
roklok
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Linux,

I suspect that an ejector rod spring for the 4 inch Bearcat found its way into your gun. That would explain the lack of travel.

I worried about the long term effects on the chambers by dragging the ejector rod along the chamber wall to catch the mouth of the fired cases. Probably overthinking it a bit, not likely to cause issues.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:15 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tks, mr roklok...

so i wonder if i can clip some of the spring off for a bit more ejection?

anyhow, it's working as is... if i get a hankering i guess i could call Ruger unless someone here has a source for 3rd party springs?

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 09-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Uncle Howie

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roklok View Post
I worried about the long term effects on the chambers by dragging the ejector rod along the chamber wall to catch the mouth of the fired cases. Probably overthinking it a bit, not likely to cause issues.
Valid concern... I wondered about the same. I think we’re overthinking it.

I plan to keep an eye on the cylinder walls. If anything beyond surface scratching shows up, I’ll reconsider my actions.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:35 AM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Linux,

I suspect that an ejector rod spring for the 4 inch Bearcat found its way into your gun. That would explain the lack of travel.

UPDATE: ordered a factory replacement bearcat ejector rod spring - it is 4" long - one inch *longer* than the one installed in my Shopkeeper... here is the original Shopkeeper ejector rod factory spring:

so i clipped the replacement spring to the length of rod's housing, and put the original away for safekeeping:

the result is that the rod has an extra one-eighth inch of protrusion from each cylinder chamber, which is more than adequate to clear any shells, still keeps the rod in the housing, and doesn't require housing modification or a replacement modified rod:

this works great for me!

hope this helps folks out there...

btw, the more i shoot my Shopkeeper the more i like it!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Last edited by linux_author; 10-04-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Just now saw this! Nice fix.

Very tempting to do this with my Shopkeeper. I've pretty much resorted to shooting only .22 shorts in it when I care about ejecting empty casings effectively.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:30 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Linux,

Same here. If the rod was brass, I'd worry much less.