Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:18 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any Jennings J22 LR owners ?

Does anyone else have an old Jennings J22 LR???
I had bought mine back in 1986 or 1987 and was my first gun I bought by myself. I had used my fathers shotguns, and rifles before that. I picked this one over the chromed, because this one had the wood grips and the chromed had the black grips. I think the grips were switched on the two that the pawn shop had in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j22 left.jpg (156.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg j22 right.jpg (123.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 02:26 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking gun!

I just have the latest version of that pistol. Jimenez JA22. Had cycle issues, sent it in, works perfect now. Have 1K rounds through it now.

Your old classic would be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050902.JPG (165.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg P1050903.JPG (159.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg P1050906.JPG (164.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 10-29-2019, 10:42 AM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
had a Davis 38 which was a bulkier .380 version by another family member that I carried in a belt mounted zippered cigarette case for a while. Former owner did not like black plastic grips and made his own pine would scales that looked a lot like those.

Biggest issue I had with it was folks asking me for a smoke or a light. I carried a book of paper matches (remember when every sit down café had a bowl of them at the register?) in a small unzippered external pocket on the case for folks wanting a light and gave they "sorry, fresh out" excuse to folks bumming a fag.

Likely the most productive thing my pistol did was help The Boy (my son) get an "A+" on an assignment in a high school crime scene class report on "Crime Guns". Every other kid in the class brought in a picture cut from a magazine or down loaded of a Glock. The Boy actually did research and found a survey from the Philly PD that indicated the Davis 38 was THE MOST common gun used in crime in that city a few decades back and so did a photo study of my pistol. Teacher was impressed that he did the research instead of going with the "common Knowledge" and that he took pictures of an actual model of the gun rather than using "clip art"

the Davis or Jennings any of their cousins, if they can be made reliable, beat the heck out of not having a gun when you need one! They were the only thing many folks could afford in a time when violent crimes were actually more common than today.

-kBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 01:57 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't own a Jennings 22 but it's basically a 22 copy of the Raven 25. Jennings made both. I bought a new Raven in 1980 and the only failures to function were from gripping too high and letting the slide hit my hand. It's been loaded 99% of the time and I shoot it once or twice a yr just to make sure it works. It goes bang every time and hasn't blown up but has been only used to carry in a jacket pocket for mcy riding. They are ok but just one step above the Saturday Night group.

Last edited by Plinkhead; 10-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Pot metal junk. When, not if they break, deposit in nearest waste receptacle. They and the rest of their family "Circle of Fire" gun businesses went under after the Feds found out they were moving non-serialized guns out the back door sold to gangs. I live in the area and remember it well.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Pot metal junk. When, not if they break, deposit in nearest waste receptacle. They and the rest of their family "Circle of Fire" gun businesses went under after the Feds found out they were moving non-serialized guns out the back door sold to gangs. I live in the area and remember it well.
I would sure like to hear more history about that, please?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I agree. Not designed to be a low cost defensive gun, but rather a low cost offensive gun.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Jennings J-22. Bought mine in 1985 and shoot it very rarely since it isn't something I'd want to have to rely on. Still, fun to plink with.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey you could have one of these RG10 in 22 short.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6aITmhDmV8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD31AC52-3682-4583-AAEA-DD61EE24E1A8.jpg (507.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-29-2019, 07:16 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Had two 22LR's way back, the 'blue' and the chrome; mixed and matched frame and slides to get a pair of two-tones, wha-hoo! A 'custom' pocket-gun for each of us
Discovered one day the extractor was missing on one (seemed to be a common issue, iirc) but it worked fine so I didnt try to get another. They were point and pull (or is that 'pull, point and pull'?) guns but a high grip made for nasty slide bite.
Came across a lot nicer Iver Johnson TP22 at a decent price so both Jennings went away to offset the cost. That was my tiny edc for a good while, but it had the nasty slide bite too.
Then came the Ruger LCP, 380, same tiny size with real caliber and beans, and no slide bite! it was a no-brainer. The Jennings and IJ TP22 have not been missed.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
I would sure like to hear more history about that, please?
Click on link, it's a good read. RG was German junk.

https://lonelymachines.org/2006/11/1...fire-lives-on/
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Here's another good link from the article above, to an interview with a former supervisor.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ws/bryant.html
Old 10-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

I bought a new Jennings, back in the day (under $50), and put about a brick of LR through it w/o a bobble before I gave it to my Mother to carry in her purse.

She was a night-shift nurse in an urban hospital, located in a bad area; and had difficulty handling the larger/stronger & more powerful handguns I had her try first.

She wanted to give it back to me when she retired, but I asked her to give it to one of my nieces who worked in much the same conditions instead.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

I bought a new Jennings, back in the day (under $50), and put about a brick of LR through it w/o a bobble before I gave it to my Mother to carry in her purse.

She was a night-shift nurse in an urban hospital, located in a bad area; and had difficulty handling the larger/stronger & more powerful handguns I had her try first.

She wanted to give it back to me when she retired, but I asked her to give it to one of my nieces who worked in much the same conditions instead.

So you're their Life Insurance Beneficiary?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 AM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting Frontline article.