Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:23 PM
dogcaller

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seeking advice on a painted 22A front sight

I picked up a S&W 22-A from a local pawnshop for a song yesterday. I wasnít looking for one, but it was too good to pass up. Anyway, previous owner attempted to pain front sight white (and made a real mess of it). Appears to have a painted on type of finish which is why Iím askingÖ If I use acetone or something like that, will it take off all of the finish, or just the white? Ideas. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be a little hesitant to try to remove the paint. I might try covering it up instead using a bluing pen. Uncle Larry sells one for a decent price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006361137?pid=178848

It might be a something to try before risking permanently damaging the blueing on your 22-A.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:32 AM
6PtStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have cleaned front Sights of paint using acetone on a Q tip. Have did any harm to the blueing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 PM
lscocoa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve used finger nail polish remover and a tooth brush on my k22ís sights without damaging the finish . A little remover on an old toothbrush, hold gun upside down and lightly brush till paint is gone . Clean up with a little gun oil . Got this from an old gunsmith friend.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
A lot of answers miss the point here, since the finish of the 22A is not blued. I think that S&W uses a bake on enamel on the upper parts of the 22A pistols. I have used all kind of gun cleaners on my early 22A without ill effect but if I were presented with the problem of paint being sloshed over the front sight, I would first try to scrape it off with a very sharp blade, like an X-acto knife.

If the black finish should get damaged in the process, I would refinish it with a spray on enamel.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...e-help.368163/

A couple of tips for shooting the S&W22A: keep the screw underneath the barrel tight or the claw at the end of the rib will break. Make sure, that you do not dry fire the gun; my firing pins broke every 20,000 rounds and I think that S&W no longer supports this model.

You can see how the finish has come off on this old gun:

Last edited by Andyd; 11-12-2019 at 07:04 AM.