Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Challenger ii

I picked up a 1982 browning challenger ii at traders day those are made very good! And what a nice trigger and accurate first older browning I have owned
Old 10-20-2019, 09:37 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Turtle
You've posted in the rifle section. Browning pistol section if you look at the top of the page it gives you a link to the pistol/BuckMark forum.

Anyway I have a 1982 Challenger II also. These are very nicely quality made pistols. Last year they were all steel. Excellent and accurate as you said. Love mine also. Surprising how cheap they are available. One of the best kept secrets.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:50 PM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Challenger ll misfires

1977 Challenger ll, great gun and in great shape but cannot fire complete mag wihtout 1/2 not firing. Firing pin indent very good and can then take misfire cartridge , load in chamber manually and it will then fire. Driving me and my gunsmith crazy. New firing pin new firing pin spring, mags adjusted, rails, feed ramp polished, chamber in spec. etc. 2 Have 2 original mags and 2 repros but problem exits with all 4 . Had feeding issue but that seems to have gone away. No ejection problems.

CCI mini mags and Winchester HV tried but same problem. Any one else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 01:08 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gganaway,
I had the same problem on my 1982 Challenger II. Miss fires with a decent indent. I ordered a new inner and out hammer spring and have not had one miss fire since. They are $6 a piece plus shipping. Puts both springs around $20.

Only way to go I would imagine. A new firing pin spring would not help at all for your problem unless it was binding and I doubt that it is.

Two springs on bottom right of this page.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...-pistol?page=1

They will be very tight going in.

The only other thing that I could think of is a pinged chamber from the firing pin. (dry firing cause) but probably not.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 11-05-2019 at 01:12 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
gganaway,

have you dropped cartridges into the chamber and checked if they seat completely? I had just received some Aguila standard velocity ammo that worked well in all of my guns but in a Hammerli 208. Several cartridges in each magazine did not go off at the first strike and did not eject either but fired on the second strike.

I took the slide off at home and checked my Hammerli 212 versus the 208, the cartridges fell nicely into the chamber of the 212 but every third cartridge, or so, did not fall into the chamber of the 208 all the way. In live firing, the slide is not all the way closed until the hammer falls and pushes the cartridge all the way in.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 AM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Challenger ll misfires

thanks for the info I will try the new mainsprings,,any info on installing them procedures?

This gun is just too nice to abandon so really want to get it going.

Appreciate the replies
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you want to private message me with your email address I have a YouTube video that was made by a guy speaking Japanese I believe. He has a really good teardown and reassembly of the pistol. Looked on YouTube and could not find it to post on here. I will try and send it over email. But it is 23.4 MG long, so it may not send, not sure.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube for the BuckMark which is close to the same that will help, and a couple on the Challenger and Challenger II. All these will help if you watch them while waiting for the springs.

Those new springs go in a lot stronger than the old springs, you think that they won't go in but they will.

I have Ruger Mark series pistols, S&W Model 41, 22 revolvers and have had BuckMarks in the past. But this Challenger II is just a very sweet shooter and probably my favorite out of all my 22 handguns. The only thing it is missing is a way to mount a red dot for my aging eye's. Still can hit a 2" plate pretty good at 25 yards free hand with it though.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sent hope it goes through

Nope to large. Sorry
Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 PM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Challenger ll misfires

thanks I will do search on Buckmark and take a look , appreciate it
Old 11-12-2019, 10:16 AM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
challenger ll

1977 Challenger ll. replaced mainspring and everything seems to work ok but haven't taken to range yet. Big question is orientation of sear spring legs. Only way to get tension was to put long leg into round cutout disk on frame and other One leg to sear. This is not adjustable trigger model. One reassembly I saw shows that the long leg of sear should go up not down onto sear but his is contradictory to any info I can find but most are about buckmarks

Any one able to take pic of their sear spring orientation for Challenger ll?

thanks

PS did fire blank shells loads manually and trigger et all work
Old 11-14-2019, 03:44 PM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77 challenger ll

Still fighting issues ,,new mainspring installed .and now gun fires first round but slide will not cycle. Hand cycle it feed next round and again fires thus no trigger reset. One question is sear spring orientation on Challenger ll.

Wish someone with a ll could send pic of their sear spring in the gun. Challengers ll orientation is not same as Buckmark assembly pics I have studied. Not adjustable trigger and long leg of sear spring is up and wedges in round cutout on frame, no hole to put

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here you go, not the best camera, but all I have.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 11-15-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 AM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Challenger ll

Thank you very much. It looks like the long leg bends down on the right and shorter leg on left ? Does left leg hook into something ?

Any way really appreciate the pic, gives me idea on getting in correct.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:50 AM
gganaway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Challenger ll

Got spring in thanks to your pic,,will take to range and keep fingers crossed..thanks again
Old 11-15-2019, 09:55 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Luck, your welcome.