Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Walther P38 in 22 LR

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  1911nut 
#1 ·
Was at Cabelas yesterday and took a stroll into their Gun Library. Most of the guns they would normally have were already sold due to our current times with unrest etc.

I took a look at one of the other cases which only had 3 handguns in .22 lr. I noticed one was in a Walther Box a P38 which I believed it to be a 9mm for $549.99 not a bad price but I already have a 9mm P38. I just took another look and I noticed the box lid said 5.6mm.

To my surprise it was a Walther P38 in .22lr. I looked at the pistol it appeared to be in mint condition and fired very little. There was no factory paper work or and extra magazine but a factory magazine in the handgun which appeared to have been used very little if at all. The sales agent gave it to me for $529.99. Also being Fathers Day gift cards could be purchased for 10% off face value, a real savings of 10% when you buy and use the gift card which I did. I believe I lucked out on this one not many Walther factory P38's in 22 lr are around. This is Interarms stamped and made in 1969.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice find Alf, I would have jumped on it too. My uncle bought one in 1980 that out of the box liked to crank out intermittent 3 round bursts. A quick trip back to Interarms fixed it. Neat little pistols!

Frank

#5 ·
Good score indeed. I sold mine about two years ago for $1,100. As far as the P38 in multiple calibers, I believe it was available to a greater or lesser degree in five calibers including .45 acp and .38 super. It always attracted attention at the range and was accurate and fun to shoot.

Enjoy yours and watch for extra magazines on eBay.

#10 ·
Thanks for your photos, doubs43 - I appreciate it! I've learned something new to me today and thank you.

What is the bullet weight of those you reload and the velocity, if you don't mind me asking?

Once again, you have a fine looking P38 there! I always liked the looks of them. I'm amazed at the knowledge of the many people here that are willing to share their experiences with others. Thank you!

Brittman

#11 ·
My apologies to the OP for stepping on your thread.

The 7.65x21mm first used in the Luger was the original "Parabellum" cartridge, Latin meaning "prepare for war".

The bullet weights I use to reload my .30 Luger cartridges are 85, 90 and 93 grain. The 93 grain is a cast bullet. I've reloaded the cartridge for more than 50 years using numerous powders, some no longer available. At present I've settled on Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder and 5.0 grains for all three bullet weights. It's a reliable load in my Lugers without being "hot".

Hornady makes a 90 grain HP bullet that is .309" in diameter. The 85 grain and other 90 grain bullets are .312". Those I run through an old Lyman Lubrisizer die to reduce to .309".

Neck tension is critical because the necks are so short. I use a Lee factory crimp die to firmly hold the bullet and prevent setback during function of the action.

In one of my 4" barrel Lugers, my load gives me 1075 fps with the 90 grain bullet and 1125 with the 85 grain bullet.

The same loads in a 6" barrel Luger is 1200 fps for the 90 grain bullet and 1250 for the 85 grain bullet.

My Browning High Power gives 1165 fps for the 85 grain bullet and 1150 with the 90 grain bullet.

The Benelli B-80 will give 1225 fps with the 85 grain bullet and 1175 with the 90 grain bullet.

The Lugers have rather generous chambers while the Browning and Benelli do not. I load the cartridges to a different OAL for each one. I also check each cartridge to make certain that they drop fully into the chambers and drop out freely. Newer guns are chambered differently than older ones.

Accuracy with all of my pistols in .30 Luger is excellent.

Note that I do not mention the P-38. It is NIB and will remain unfired as long as I own it.

#16 ·
Dang I'm glad that I never saw one a few years back,,,

Dang I'm glad that I never saw one a few years back,,,
Or I would have had to take it home with me,,,
Then find a matching 9mm to boot.

For several years my "collecting" bug was for centerfire/rimfire pairs,,,
To date I have 13 of those pairs.

That P-38 would have put a bug in my ear,,,
That I would have had to satisfy.

Fortunately for me,,,
I'm past that. :rolleyes:

Nice score my friend,,,
Nice score indeed.

Aarond

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.