Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM
biggrizzly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hammer Bushing for drop free mags?

I just bought a BAM hammer bushing for all the great reasons I have read about on this forum. My MKiii Hunter is brand new and never been fired. I have owned three other MKi &iis over the years and know them pretty well but I'm a bit confused on the MKiii and what I should expect for the magazine improvements.

My new Hunter will drop the magazines free when I press the Mag release already. Is that unusual. So I ask myself, why replace the bushing if the factory configuration is dropping the magazines just fine now? (Other than the other benefits of the new bushing aside)

So, do other MKiii guns NOT drop the magazines free? can someone explain what I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM
chuckles
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the purpose of installing an aftermarket bushing is to enable removal of the magazine safety disconnect mechanism. A drop free may be a side benefit but removing the mag safety allows the gun to be fired without having a magazine in place. It makes for easier disassembly without having to insert a magazine. YMMV. One of the RFC experts will give a better answer to your question. There are lots of experts here.
ETA, I see this is a duplicate thread. Sorry but I didn't see the other thread before I answered here.

Last edited by chuckles; 12-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Biggriz
My MK III operates much like yours....hit the mag release and the mag flies out no problem. My daughters is the same as well , but apparently some owners are having difficulties with mag ejection. My motto: if it ain't broke it...don't fix it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Schnauzer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The original intent of Ruger was to create a Mag safety feature. The gun is not supposed to operate without a magazine in place. So try it... does your MKIII fire on a snap cap without the magazine in place?
Another "feature" of the mag safety was to restrict the drop free operation of a released magazine. They would drop about 3/8 to 1/2 inch so one could grasp the magazine and pull it free.
Some MKIII's do indeed drop they're magazines freely but some of the owners speculate this is more due to the "nub" on the magazines (that are held by the release mechanism) are worked down to a height where they no longer restrict the magazine movement, hence the mags drop without the intersticial holdup.

When you actually remove all the internals (related to the mag safety) and do a bushing swap the "nub" on the magazines no longer has a hold back device restricting it's ability to truly drop free.

MAke sense?