Re-Sale - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM
BraxMad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re-Sale

I have an uncle who, after watching me do wonders with a MKII, wants to buy a .22 pistol.

He is likes to buy the more expensive stuff. He tells me I will at his age too!!
But he is also concerned about re-sale, in the event that he does not like his purchase.

His question...
Which is the best, with the best re-sale as well, .22 pistol he can carry for hunting rabbits and the like?
Thank you in advance!!
Victor M
Morrison, CO
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM
cyclesarge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless you're talking about some kind of collectors item. I think your best resale comes from the lowest priced gun that the most people would want. Over specializing or accesorizing your gun generally makes for lower returns on your investment. Higher priced guns generally have a smaller buyer base.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 12-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM
ParatroopVet
US Army Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
IMHO....Smith & Wesson model 41
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM
BraxMad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Guys!
I have never bought a gun with the idea to sell it.
But a very good point, I did not concider.
Also, I think the Smith is something he might like either way.
Or, how about the Berreta 87?
He likes his Berreta O/U shotguns.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
you either need a popular gun like a the Ruger MK's or a semi collectable like the Smith 41. IMHO is he has the depth of pocket for a 41 he will loose no money and likely gain some in the next few years.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
MSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd go with the Smith 41 also. Very nice Bullseye pistol, or a top-of-the-line hunting gun. And as mentioned, great company backing it.

I've always got resale in the back of my mind, so I'd look for a nice used one. Take your time looking and a deal will come around.

My most recent 41...

Late model 5.5" with an UltraDot mounted, and 4 mags, immaculate condition - $650. Could likely get $800+ for it right now.

Perhaps my best find ever, about a year back...

Late model 41 with both 5.5" and 7" barrels, UltraDot mounted, and Nills grip, 4 mags, all in exc cond - $775

I eventually sold the gun/dot to a fellow league shooter at a very favorable (for them) price. But I think I still got just over $1,000 overall for all of it after selling the grip and extra barrel.

Both of these were found for sale at a local range with a Bullseye league.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If a person has the disposable income I suggest the S&W 41 as others have.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
BraxMad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys!
He does have the money. He is semi-retired, financially set, and bored to tears!
So, I have been traveling the 5 hours once or twice a month to do some plinking and hunting with him!
I just called him about the Smith 41. He liked the sound of it. If he gets it, I will have a chance to shoot it as well!!
Thanks again for the great advice!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Dany

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NEMOHUNTER nailed it.
I prefer the 41 and the Ruger needs a little add on to equal the 41 but it's cheaper initially.
The thing is you get more than resale, you get the satisfaction of using a quality, accurate handgun until you do decide to sell it.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Dany

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Brad,
If you guys wind up with a 41, check out Clark Custom Guns website.
I just had them work over a 41 of mine, I put a Bushnell Holo sight on the original S&W barrel and a Leupold 4x28 on the Clark barrel.
I don't think it was mentioned before but you can switch barrels in a few seconds on the 41 giving it another huge advantage over the Ruger.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Dave Simons

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I would agree with the Ruger MKII or the S&W 41 and might even add one of the older High Standards to the list although I am only a target shooter. I have had all three.

My only issue with the S&W 41 may only be a problem with me. I tried the factory grips along with several other sets of grips and modifications to these grips but with my hand shape and shorter fingers I needed to rotate my hand on the grip to be able to reach the trigger properly. I was not comfortable with that. The only way I was able to reach the trigger on the 41 was to remove the grips and replace them with thin flat plates and I was not happy with that.

If the 41 fits your uncle never mind this part of my post.

If you buy any of these pistols used you should have no problem getting you investment back.

While the S&W and High Standard were definitely machined nicer than the Ruger I did not find any better accuracy or reliability with them than the Ruger (accuracy - ammo testing at 50 yards with scope and pistol rest).

The triggers out of the box were better on the S&W and High Standard than the Ruger so the Ruger needed some trigger work although I did have trigger work done on the S&W and HS also. When the trigger work was done to all of them I found the Ruger trigger to be about as good as the others.

The only other thing I have found with my pistols is the Ruger was not as finicky as the others when it came to ammunition. The Ruger has shot everything I have put into it including the bulk pack Federal stuff where the others did not.

I do like the idea of the barrels being interchangeable on the 41 but the cost of a Clark barrel is more than the cost of the complete Ruger with a trigger job and you should be able to get two Rugers for the cost of the 41 alone.

I understand liking the higher end pistol which is why I shoot the HS for my bullseye pistol and would probably still be shooting the 41 if it would have fit me. I would probably be shooting a Hammerli 208S or a FWB AW93 if I could afford them but the Ruger is a not a bad pistol for the price.

These are just my thoughts and observations, yours may differ.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 AM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I like the Ruger Mark's and the High Standards. Rugers are cheaper. High Standards go up in value but are more expensive. I love my Ruger with the 5 1/2" bull barrel as a carry gun for hunting and plinking. Verry accurate!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Back in the early 1990s, when I was getting set to purchase my first handgun, the S&W M-41 was suggested to me. I was more interested in a hi-cap 9mm pistol (more interested in self-defense guns at the time. . .) Probably would have been the better buy then, even though a little more expensive than what I was looking for. As I've said, if I'd been turned on to .22 rimfire rifles and handguns back then (and really thought things out) I wouldn't have spent/wasted to much over the years.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
...Late model 5.5" with an UltraDot mounted, and 4 mags, immaculate condition - $650. Could likely get $800+ for it right now...
And not having a 41 I honestly don't know... are their holsters for this kind of set up readily (read non custom) available? I just don't ever remember seeing a holster for ANY 41, let alone with optics.

I have a Pardini Nygord Master that is ridiculously accurate, but I don't take it hunting because I have no way to holster it.