Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:38 AM
buckmeister2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
marlin 60 parts to acquire?

Hi, folks,

I am a returning member from several years ago. I have had a few Marlin rifles, but this is my first 60. Mine is actually a Glenfield version. I have a few questions.

1. My barrel is not stamped "Micro-Groove"...but, is it an MG barrel? If not, is it worth replacing with a good MG barrel? I have no issues with the current barrel.

2. If I wanted to acquire a few extra parts in the event of breakage or wear, what parts would you recommend? I already have a spare buffer.

3. I see a lot of parts described as "early", or "later"..but do not know what years those apply to. Is there a rule of thumb for early and later?

4. Just to verify, my SN begins with 21...I figure that means it is a 1979 mfg., correct?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 AM
DGilbert
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also a returning member from a too long absence.

If you dont' have a problem with the barrel, why replace it? I'd question the effort vs the gain.

Extra parts - definitely have an extra recoil spring, not that I've ever had one go bad, but I have kinked a few during reassembly. A spare buffer is good to have. All the ones I've seen lately on ebay are 3D printed buffers and I don't know if they are durable or not. I'm looking for another factory made one. Extra e clips are nice to have. An extra magazine spring might be handy but I've not really seen on go bad or any other spring actually. Lightened trigger springs seem to be popular. I have KAT triggers in my model 60s/795 so can't really comment on their worth.

You have the mfg date correct.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:50 PM
ken w.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
parts

I think a dis-connector spring , buffer , recoil spring , mag tube follower , maybe a feedthroat should be all you really need for extra parts. I would get them soon as sleepy Joe said he would ban internet sales of gun parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 02:23 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All 60's left the factory with microgroove barrels I believe. The barrel is maybe the hardest thing to replace on a 60.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 PM
ken w.

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
parts

The barrel is held in by a pin. Not hard to replace. But , is it necessary ? In most cases no. If you need a barrel I'm sure I have a bunch of them.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:42 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not much of a fan of keeping lots of spare parts around "just in case". Murphy's Law says that the part you break or lose will be the one part you didn't have on hand anyway. I think a spare buffer, recoil spring, and maybe firing pin or extractor pretty much covers what is likely to fail over time. If you need anything else... well they only made about 11 million of them so spare parts shouldn't be a problem for a long time to come... assuming the gun grabbers don't completely outlaw buying spare parts.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:59 PM
ken w.

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
parts

Biden said he would ban internet sales of gun parts.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:29 AM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Are you sure he read the teleprompter right?
Old 12-01-2020, 05:20 PM
57springer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird13 View Post
Are you sure he read the teleprompter right?