Picking up my new 457 today! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:40 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picking up my new 457 today!

I finally got a CZ rimfire after wanting one for several years. I have a couple of quick questions. I bought the synthetic stocked one because this will be a suppressor host for me. I really did want a wood stock though. Does anyone have any experience with the walnut Boyd's stocks for these? Also, I picked up a Leupold 3-9X40 rimfire scope, what rings could I used to mount this with that would not get me higher than I really need to be. I appreciate the input and look forward to shooting this thing.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Burris #4200071 rings will get you down low, and still fit the scope well on the rifle. I use them on 455s, so I know they'll be low enough for a 457.

Based on a couple or three Boyd's stocks I've had in the past, they'll be larger than necessary, a bit bulky for my tastes, which run lean and mean ( I had a Rimfire Hunter for an earlier 455 I had). There was almost enough wood for two stocks in that thing.
That can be a good thing, if you're a woodworker at all, you can thin them down and fit them to your own tastes (like I did for a Howa varminter), or, if you like a heavier stock, just live with it as-is.

Last edited by glennasher; 11-09-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 PM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Leupold medium rings work perfect for that 40mm scope. Is what I used on that same scope. Good rings. Only about 50 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2020, 07:19 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ring height isn't always about getting as close to the bore as possible; the scope must be positioned on the rifle to allow the shooter a natural, easy, and repeatable cheek weld. In other words, you shouldn't have to plant your face into the stock so your eye is directly behind the bolt nor should you have to stretch your neck out like an ostrich to view through your scope.

The comb height dimension of the stock you're using and the diameter of the intended scope's objective lens (often called the "bell" of the scope) are where you start. Using the simple penny trick you start stacking pennies on your scope rail(s) to simulate scope rings, carefully laying the scope atop them as you increase/decrease the number of pennies (I use blue painters tape to temporarily secure the scope to the rifle so it doesn't fall during the process) until scope clearance and a natural sighting position is obtained. Then it's simply a matter of measuring the thickness of the pennies, as this dimension is what you'll use to determine the height of the rings you require.

Below is the chart I used to determine the height scope rings that I needed from Warne rings. As you can see they offer dimensions from both "top of rail to center of scope ("D")" and "top of rail to bottom of scope tube ("B")"...you simply do the math to determine what ring height will be the least bit greater than you require. They're quality rings that were right on the money:

Between the comb height of the Boyd's stock that came on my CZ 457's Pro Varmint rifle and my particular scope dimensions I ended up with their "Medium" height Mountain Tech model 7214M rings, which allowed 3/32" clearance between the magnification adjustment ring and the scope rail and 1/4" between the scope's objective lens and barrel. The fact that the scope looks neither too low nor too high on the rifle is completely inconsequential; it's the height that I require for a proper cheek weld

Last edited by DrewBone; 11-10-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: To korreckt spellink and scentance strukshur!
Old 11-10-2020, 09:34 AM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the help and input. I got it in last night and looked it over. It is tough having the scope and the rifle, and not being able to put them together yet! I want to shoot this thing! However, our gun deer season begins this next weekend so it will be a little bit before I take the time to shoot it, whether I have it together or not.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:35 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
...It is tough having the scope and the rifle, and not being able to put them together yet! I want to shoot this thing!...
Tell me about it! It took me months to decide which rifle to get, then another month or so to decide on what scope to get for the above rifle. I had the scope a month before the rifle was delivered only to then have it take me about 2 weeks of nauseating investigation looking through all the different types of rings that the different manufacturers offered before finally making the decision to purchase what I did from Warne. It's not entirely necessary but since I'm anal about most things (ref: all the above, LOL) I also lapped the rings which added more time to the entire process:

From start to finish it about wore me out
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got out and zeroed it yesterday, sorry no pics. I was truly surprised at what that rifle was doing with standard velocity Aguila Super Extra. I should not have waited so long to get one.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:45 PM
drpro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fairly new owner here. For the price <$500, really amazing. Bought a few things to add to the enjoyment factor. New trigger spring from McMaster-Carr (very cheap), aluminum magazine well, larger bolt knob, and extended magazine catch from DIP. And of course extra 10rd mags.
Shoots better than I am capable of and other than some variations works well with many of the .22lr ammunition out there.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:01 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey trashman
I got a 457 MTR which I mounted in a Boyds Walnut .
After 2 trips to the range (second to confirm the first results)
I found the Boyds awfully blocky & square , the cheek rest was
Uncomfortable and hard to adjust .
I did like the LOP adjustment and butt pad.

I realized why I bought the MTR , because I love the wood .

I replaced the Boyds with the original then packed it up
and sold it on line .