Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 AM
blacksmith_sc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Non Greasy SK Standard +?

SK Standard + is one of my current favorite .22 ammo. It's been somewhat available during the crisis, it's not too awfully expensive, and it proves to be pretty darn accurate in my bolt action rifles. I mainly punch holes in paper on an informal basis.

So, anyway, I was out at the range yesterday, sighting in my Winchester 69A. I'd just gotten a new aperture (larger outside diameter, smaller hole) for it. I had been shooting CCI SV in the rifle, but I'm running low on that so I switched to the SK. I had a partially used box when I started shooting. It was greasy just like always. When I finished that I opened a new box, and much to my surprise, the rounds were just as dry and non-greasy as they could be.

Anyone else run into that?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I have never had a dry box. Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 AM
plumbago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Curious if this "dry" SK is new or old stock....In any case it might serve to post the lot number for future reference.....Change is sometimes good or bad, but change of lube in .22 is cause for general alarm..........best regards Plum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a picture of the end of the box.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 AM
NoNewTricks
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
That's the UPC that's assigned to every box of SK Standard+.

The only box of that stuff that I have has the UPC on the bottom of the box and the lot number is on the end flap. The lot number should look something like this... 115 40/2 2063. That's as close to making out what the one on the box I have says since some numpity used a magic marker to mark the price on that end and mostly covered up the number.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:11 PM
EWTHeckman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just pulled out a box of SK Std + that I got recently. It also does not have the wolf snot lube. (Or maybe it's just a really, really thin coating.) It seems closer to Lapua's older waxy lube on my favorite round so far: Lapua Midas M.

The lot number is 136 49/1 241 3. On my box, the UPC is on the back, not the end flap.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ooops, sorry. Here it is:

I don't know that I minded the lack of grease, it was sure easier to load the magazines. Just wondering why it was missing.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:52 PM
ragswl4
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith_sc View Post
Ooops, sorry. Here it is:

I don't know that I minded the lack of grease, it was sure easier to load the magazines. Just wondering why it was missing.
Did it effect accuracy when compared to the more greasy ammo? Just wondering as I shoot a lot of SK Std+ and still have a couple of unopened cases and 1/2 case that I am currently shooting which is very greasy. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragswl4 View Post
Did it effect accuracy when compared to the more greasy ammo? Just wondering as I shoot a lot of SK Std+ and still have a couple of unopened cases and 1/2 case that I am currently shooting which is very greasy. Thanks.
It wasn't a good session for comparison, I was sighting in the Winchester 69A. I try it in my 52 the next time I'm out. That's like the acid test.