Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM
RWS-4-Me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering purchasing a Savage MKII-F .22

I just registered on this site by a referral from the forum I frequently read on (GTA). I'm highly considering purchasing the Savage MKII-F .22 from Walmart for $147, and was wondering if a few people could post pictures of the gun (close-ups, their shooting rig-up, combo's, etc.) please.

I'm not brand new to firearms, as I've shot a friends 12-gauge a few times, 20 rounds through his .17hmr, and my Grandpa's Marlin 10/22 (not sure on the model, he bought it 45 years ago) and his .22lr semi-auto pistol.

I am very familiar and know a lot about airguns, (actually have 9 to be precise).... and hoping to add the Savage to my collection asap.

I'm 17, so the gun would be bought by my dad...

Any info on the Savage would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Conor
Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
wolfsburgfanatic
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got my first firearm last month, which happens to be a Savage MkII F. I've only been able to get to the range once so far but I love it. If you're looking for a bolt action .22lr for a reasonable price you can't go wrong with the Savage imo. The only thing I don't really care for are the factory open sights, but they are a pretty standard design and perfectly functional. I just had a hard time getting them on target after getting used to my friend's AR-15 with the Magpul MBUS set-up. That said, I ordered a EGW rail and a Barska scope and will try that out on my next range visit. I might also consider the Tech-Sights, but I think they look a bit out of place on a bolt action. Anyways, I highly recommend the MkII F

Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a couple of "before-and-after" shots of mine (purchased a couple of months ago)...

Before (stock, as purchased):

[IMG][/IMG]

And after (6-18X40 scope, Boyd's Tacticool stock, UTG bipod, etc.):

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
CedarBranchBiker
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the same rifle last week but have ot had a chance to fire it yet. You might want to check the "sticky" on trigger shims on the Savage forum to lighten trigger pull.
Here is an earlier post of what can be dine with a little "upgrading".
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=446760
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Tuksonrider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS-4-Me View Post
I just registered on this site by a referral from the forum I frequently read on (GTA). I'm highly considering purchasing the Savage MKII-F .22 from Walmart for $147, and was wondering if a few people could post pictures of the gun (close-ups, their shooting rig-up, combo's, etc.) please.

I'm not brand new to firearms, as I've shot a friends 12-gauge a few times, 20 rounds through his .17hmr, and my Grandpa's Marlin 10/22 (not sure on the model, he bought it 45 years ago) and his .22lr semi-auto pistol.

I am very familiar and know a lot about airguns, (actually have 9 to be precise).... and hoping to add the Savage to my collection asap.

I'm 17, so the gun would be bought by my dad...

Any info on the Savage would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Conor
The walmart version does not have the accu-trigger, and has a synthetic stock. My local walmart sells the Mark II for $127. Prices may have gone up tho.

If you have a Dick's sporting goods near you, check it out. They usually have a Mark II GXP for $150-$160 on sale. This version has a good wood stock, and cheap scope. Still no accu-trigger, but for the cost, it's a better deal than the Walmart verion for $147.

The other difference is that the Dick's GXP version has no open sights. You must use a scope.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM
CTPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mark II is my barn gun. Works great, very accurate out of the box.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
saltyphotog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My advice would be to save up $60 more and get the mark 2 FV. Heavy barrel and accutrigger. Just my opinion but it's $60 well spent.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyphotog View Post
My advice would be to save up $60 more and get the mark 2 FV. Heavy barrel and accutrigger. Just my opinion but it's $60 well spent.
+1, well worth it to get those two features.

Here's a close-up of the action. This rifle started life as a FV and now lives in a Boyds stock with my wife's initials laser engraved (its her rifle).

Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
RWS-4-Me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the synthetic stock of the F model, and the accu trigger isn't a big priority for me since I've successfully used crappy airgun triggers for a number of years. I'd like to keep the iron sights, so I'm pretty stuck on the F....also since I'm only 17, I just can't by anything, (kinda on a budget on this purchase).

Thanks for the photos.
Conor
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The FV also has a synthetic stock, although honestly synthetic stocks are generally crap and not as accurate as a correctly floated wood stock. The non-accu-trigger is not nearly as good as the accu-trigger.

And yes, like you, I shot airguns with heavy, creepy, crap triggers for a number of years before I started shooting. Its well worth it to get a good trigger and the bull barrel is better for holding zero as the barrel heats up. The FV is really a lot better gun for not much more money. But if you want irons, that doesn't leave a lot of choices.

Personally, I find it a lot more rewarding to shoot with a scope. Yes, I appreciate irons, but I'm an accuracy junky and unless you start talking about aperture sights (which alone cost more than the rifle you are considering), a scope is the way to go for accurate shooting.

Last edited by tuj; 05-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM
FH Alumni

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I might also consider the Tech-Sights, but I think they look a bit out of place on a bolt action. Anyways, I highly recommend the MkII F
Actually, the Tech sites rock on a bolt. 3rd one down.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...terich/023.jpg
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"I just registered on this site by a referral from the forum I frequently read on (GTA). I'm highly considering purchasing the Savage MKII-F .22 from Walmart for $147, and was wondering if a few people could post pictures of the gun (close-ups, their shooting rig-up, combo's, etc.) please.

I am very familiar and know a lot about airguns, (actually have 9 to be precise).... and hoping to add the Savage to my collection asap."

First off, if its a Marlin, it's not a 10/22, and if it's a 10/22, it's a Ruger.

"I like the synthetic stock of the F model, and the accu trigger isn't a big priority for me since I've successfully used crappy airgun triggers for a number of years. I'd like to keep the iron sights, so I'm pretty stuck on the F....also since I'm only 17, I just can't by anything, (kinda on a budget on this purchase)."

Now, down to the business at hand, discussion of the Savage Bolt-Actions.

Why you should not buy the $147 Wal-Mart Version of the Mk IIF.

It is called better options available. I do not believe the W-M version comes with the Accu-Trigger, nor is is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, both of which I would recommend you get. Why? I've handled/shot an F version both with and without (F Model from Wal-mart, so you know) the AccuTrigger. Trust me, save up some more money and get that AccuTrigger version! Listen to this 40+ old fella who's made his share of bad gun buys and is tellin ya : If this will be your first .22, make it worth the purchase!

I do have an airgun with a horrible trigger pull, but one with a rather sweet one too, there is a major difference in them and no desire to part with either of them, so you understand my point.

"Quote :
I might also consider the Tech-Sights, but I think they look a bit out of place on a bolt action. Anyways, I highly recommend the MkII F

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...terich/023.jpg "

Further reason for consideration of the non-Wal-Mart model F, the Tech Sights are meant to be attached to the newer Drilled & Tapped Models. That gives you another (better) sight option over the factory sights.

Look into the Savage Arms website - http://www.savagearms.com/
Take a good study of what they have available. If you're still stuck on the basic, no-frills model, look into getting a reputable gun shop order you a Stevens 300, which is basically the same as the Savage Mk IIF.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think T191032 says it well. I purchased a Mark II FV for $219.00 not counting tax. The Bull barrel and the accutrigger are supper!
Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
wolfsburgfanatic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH Alumni View Post

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...terich/023.jpg
Okay I'll admit that looks like a lot of fun! The pics on the tech-sight website made them look really awkward on the MKII, but they do look right at home on yours.