Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:40 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Torque wrench recommendation needed.

Hi all,

In the market for a torque wrench that can cover 10-90 in/lbs. It needs to be adjustable in 1 in/lb increments. And the easier on the hands, the better, as arthritis is a pain, literally.

I am not sure if one wrench with those specs exists, so if two can overlap and cover the entire range, that would be fine as well.

Not looking for el cheapo, cannot afford snap-on, so solid but affordable.

Uses are scope mounting, remounting action to stock and that's about it really. At least for now.

(Reason for the high range is I've one centerfire rifle with action torque of 60-80.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a Wheeler Fat Wrench but it only goes to 60 inch lbs. You will probably have to get a 1/4" drive ratchet type to get above that. 20-200 inch lbs is common in the ratchet type. Look on Amazon.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:26 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had good luck with a Tekton I bought at Home Depot a while back. 10-150 in.lb.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1...1101/300498835

I can't swear to it's accuracy but it does seem to be consistent.

Last edited by DavidStone; 05-22-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Leonard T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one with your specs. Got it at menards. Masterforce torque screwdriver10-80 in/lb. Had it for a year or two seems to work fine. Nice big easy to use handle, storage case and a few bits. $65 after tax . Hope this helps LT
Old 05-24-2020, 01:04 AM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can you afford a used Snap-on? Then turn it in for recalibration. They’ll clean it up and service it while it is there. Or a Mac, Matco, or other professional brand?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I just bought a Wheeler Fat Wrench but it only goes to 60 inch lbs. You will probably have to get a 1/4" drive ratchet type to get above that. 20-200 inch lbs is common in the ratchet type. Look on Amazon.
I did, and found a consistency in that many if not all have a higher 'this product sucks' one star rating than I like. Exceptions being the Wheeler analog, for some reason their digital offering seems to have issues as well. Isn't that odd.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:07 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Appreciate the suggestions, I'm just leery (by trial of fire) on items that have a high-ish low review percentage. I'm the guy that always seems to get the bum tool/item out of a hundred, if you know what I mean. Like I said, trial by fire. That's why I also tend to avoid items that I cannot really find any reviews on, like the Menard. Not saying they aren't great, but I can't tell.

I wish I could afford a Snap-On, but don't think that's possible. Where does one buy used, other than the bay? Wouldn't mind buying once, crying once as it were.

Pretty much a Wheeler Fat Wrench (analog) that went to 90 or so in-lbs would be closest I could hope for, even if the style (screwdriver vs. wrench) will kill my hands.

Any other thoughts? All welcome, even gallows humor.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The problem you're having is the range (10 to 80 inch pounds) is kinda out there.

What rifle do you have that needs or recommends 80 inch pounds?
Many center-fire rifles have a 65 inch pound recommendation for their actions, but 80 inch pounds is new to me.

Smooth
Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sometimes you get a good price on ebay but typically auctions bring premium tool prices. I like retirement, garage, estate sales for the best pricing as they are motivated. Facebook and whatever the latest social media sites are hit and miss. Pay extra attention after the local tech school year starts. Those students are paying about half price for the tools. Then selling even lower if they quit in the first term.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
You may want to check out the Vortex torque wrench. The Fat Wrench will work fine for most firearm related stuff, but it is well, kinda fat. Which may make it hard to use with arthritic hands.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:16 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
The problem you're having is the range (10 to 80 inch pounds) is kinda out there.

What rifle do you have that needs or recommends 80 inch pounds?
Many center-fire rifles have a 65 inch pound recommendation for their actions, but 80 inch pounds is new to me.

Smooth
Hey Smooth,

I agree. For rimfire stuff, including scope mounting, I figured the FAT wrench will do the job. I have a Ruger American in 7.62x39 which recommends a torque (when reassembling after cleaning, adjusting the trigger, what have you) of 60-80, which is the problem.

I've sent Ruger a request to specify a bit more, as my uneducated thought on the matter is, "Isn't that a large range for something supposed to be quite specific?"

If anyone can shed some light on that, please do, I love to learn. I read about one or two rifles with 85 in/lb torques, but most like you say are 65.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
Sometimes you get a good price on ebay but typically auctions bring premium tool prices. I like retirement, garage, estate sales for the best pricing as they are motivated. Facebook and whatever the latest social media sites are hit and miss. Pay extra attention after the local tech school year starts. Those students are paying about half price for the tools. Then selling even lower if they quit in the first term.
Thanks, that's good advice. I'll find out where the local tech school is and when their year starts.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
You may want to check out the Vortex torque wrench. The Fat Wrench will work fine for most firearm related stuff, but it is well, kinda fat. Which may make it hard to use with arthritic hands.
I did look at the Vortex, but the range is too narrow.

I agree the FAT may be the answer, but my hands won't like me.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG2019 View Post
I did look at the Vortex, but the range is too narrow.

I agree the FAT may be the answer, but my hands won't like me.
Would a strap wrench on the FatWrench work with your hands? can downward pressure be applied to thebutt of the FatWrench without affecting the torque indication?
Old 05-31-2020, 09:33 AM
T0rtuga
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG2019 View Post
I wish I could afford a Snap-On, but don't think that's possible. Where does one buy used, other than the bay? Wouldn't mind buying once, crying once as it were.
When it comes to high-end tools, I have had good luck with pawn shops. I think region, timing, and luck play a big part in result.