Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM
HighlySuspect

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ode to Small C Clips

New reader of most of the 100 pages of this thread, new owner of a Hunter Model, and now new member of RFC. Operative word being "new", as in newbie. A salute to all of you who have and continue to contribute to so vast a resource as these Buck Mark pages.

There is no chance I can add to the glowing reports of the exceptional nature of the pistol. Suffice it to say I join you in celebrating the pistol's extraordinary nature and accuracy right out of the box. I did take the time to disassemble and clean the Hunter prior to heading to the range. No harm, no foul.

I strongly suspect, however, that there can only be two categories of Buck Mark Aficionados: those who have lost the C clip retaining the recoil guide rod, and those who will. I write to offer you great hope--the clip will occasionally determine to make its way home despite your best efforts to deploy it elsewhere.

Waiting 2 days from returning from the range to clean the gun so as to not impede my wife's near endless work Zoom meetings in a small condo, I disassembled the firearm with the confidence derived from having already done so a week prior--no stinking youtube videos for this old hand. In short order I launched the C clip and spring off a wall and ceiling, muttered the appropriate words ever so softly so as to not have them captured on the newly inaugurated Zoom meeting in the next room, and pondered my fate. For reasons undeserved the C clip appeared on the floor in spite of my old eyes which match the old hands previously referenced. Semi regretted the muttered words.

Cleaned the pistol. Shortly into re-assembly the C clip asserted its independence and departed in earnest. No amount of floor and soul searching proved successful, and I admitted defeat and retired for the night a beaten man.

Early this afternoon after a full morning of unrelated activity, what should appear but my erstwhile friend the C clip. Sitting ever so non-chalantly upon (actually attracted to the magnetic case of) my iPad which has yet to be in the same room as the misadventure the day prior and had been used all morning. Best guess is that the C clip flew into my shirt yesterday, slinked down into the nether regions, determined sheltering in place was best found elsewhere, deposited itself in the bed someplace while I tossed and turned throughout the night wrestling with low self esteem, and sought out the iPad.

I prefer to think it just wanted to return to the place it was meant to me. And I put it there . . . with panache I might add.

Moral of the story: Never lose hope . . . one just never knows; your C clip may want to come home also.

Meanwhile I have ordered the Striplin guide rod through TandemKross, undoubtedly the only sure fire way to guarantee your C clip will never venture out alone again given the threat of obsolescence. They have a mind and life of their own.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:43 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We are

glad you are here!

It's not official till we say, "Hey Look, A new guy!"

WELCOME TO RFC!
Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 05-08-2020, 06:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (130)
As much foo-foraw as has been made about the aforementioned clip, it is not necessary to the operation of the gun, it is merely a convenience feature to keep the spring captive on the rod while you put it in the slide. I still have mine from 1985 but could get by if it went into orbit.
I also have several 10-22 builds that use aftermarket cocking handles with no way to keep the spring captive, it just takes a little extra effort to compress the spring while installing all the parts.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 06:51 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doesn’t Tandemkross sell a doohickey that replaces the c-clip
Old 05-08-2020, 06:57 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
Doesnít Tandemkross sell a doohickey that replaces the c-clip
I believe the correct term is "thingamajiggie" ??
Old 05-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HS, A very enjoyable & amusing read. I can relate to lost springs & "c" clips.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:00 PM
smith627
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes nice read!
I lost a C-clip once few years ago and never found it. I think it was eventually gobbled up by the vacuum cleaner.
So, I solved that problem by going to the hardware store and bought about a dozen C-clips cheap so that I had plenty on hand to feed more to the vacuum cleaner in the future.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:03 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web.

Iíve lost parts off guns that went flying across the room. Some I have never found.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 PM
HighlySuspect

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C Clip Now In a Better Place

To my great pleasure the good folks at TamdemKross had a new Striplin Eliminator Guide Rod delivered to my mail box late this afternoon. Disassembled the Buck Mark with a keen eye on the peripatetic C clip, but it showed no further interest in departing for parts unknown.

As the first picture will show, the Striplin replacement rod (by design and description) is a tad longer than the original guide rod to account for discrepancies and whatnot from model to model, gun to gun. In my case, there appeared to be a .019" difference in overall length between the two; however I found I needed to remove .025" from the suggested end of the Striplin rod to make it fit properly in the pistol. I'm thinking the difference lies in how the Striplin rod fits into the buffer and hole in the frame post. (Note that the camera angle makes the Striplin rod in the foreground to appear much longer than the original that it actually is.)

The second picture confirms that no C clip was harmed in the making of this thread. It remains safely ensconced with its old friend the original guide rod in the packaging which came with the Striplin rod in the odd chance I determine to put in back in action.

While I recognize there is no great need to replace the original guide rod and C clip, I have to hand it to Striplin and TandemKross--they provide an excellent alternative should one find themselves at odds with the original arrangement. And it is definitively easier for the clumsy among us such as myself to disassemble and re-assemble the Buck Mark with the C clip enjoying its retirement elsewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Guide Rods Side by Side.JPG (91.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg C Clip Safely Retired.JPG (80.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:40 PM
Shootin4Xs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Isn’t it amazing that the smallest parts on a gun, if missing, can literally make it inoperable...thanks for a good story
Old 05-12-2020, 11:28 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckmark makes a Mark II look easy to tear down and reassmeble! I ordered a couple of new C clips and buffers this week!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Probably one of my top investments in working on guns has been my 4" round magnet attached to a metal pole. Have found many a "C" clip, spring, washer and other tiny items on various floor materials. Welcome to RFC.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put a old sock over the end of a vacuum cleaner tube and carefully sweep the room

I used to do this and found many a C and E clip when I used to race RC cars,

C/E clips and firearms do not make good bedfellows in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:46 AM
10X1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Missing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Missing C Clip.jpg (262.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:35 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok. THAT was funny!