Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:11 AM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
37 for sale

Seemed kinda pricy at first glance, but maybe not after all.....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101417419
Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What I can see of the rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Seemed kinda pricy at first glance, but maybe not after all.....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101417419
its an early one that may have the early trigger but may have the miracle trigger as many were sent back for that mod. It has the early pattern stock which has a shorter forearm length than the later Randle stock. Appears to have the correct crown...is the barrel 28"? what is the stock LOP? Have him pull the metal butt plate and see if there is a number stamped into the wood.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=614609

The scope is not a Unertl target scope. It is an ultra varmint scope. My guess is that someone added that later as its a good bet a target shooter would have gone with a Untertl target scope. It looks like it could benefit from higher bases...its a 2" objective lens diameter.

The rear sight looks like a Remington, not a Lyman. It is cut to fit the unique rear sight base on the rifle. Lyman rear sights attached to the side of the action with two screws.

IMO, $2500 is high. Scope is maybe worth $500 but again its not a target scope its a varmint scope, but can do double duty I guess. $2000 for that rifle is too much. My feeling, $1100-1200.

Last edited by Greg Palman; 04-07-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:02 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Guns America is always a little high on their guns BUTT they have nice items--I have bought several Sako's that were tough to find from them/never been dissatisfied

As far as this 37 remember that it is pretty much complete as it has about all one could wish for without looking/waiting to find all the accessories .

For those that have acquired Complete packages such as this in the LAST few years would you sell yours for this ?

I feel it may be a little high although not outrageous

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 AM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the price is ok, but hate the idea that a value for that scope and sling are included. Yes, definitely would want to check the plate/butt numbers but it otherwise looks like a very nice example. I will say, speaking strictly from a shooting perspective, they do not bench as well as the later models with the larger stocks. I have examples of both and the difference is pretty pronounced.

I went back into the add and noticed that they had this as a 1949 rifle. I don't believe that is correct, at least in so far as the stock is concerned. I'm pretty sure Remington had changed to the next generation of stocks before the war.

Last edited by citation; 04-07-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:30 AM
Greg Palman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
stocks changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
I think the price is ok, but hate the idea that a value for that scope and sling are included. Yes, definitely would want to check the plate/butt numbers but it otherwise looks like a very nice example. I will say, speaking strictly from a shooting perspective, they do not bench as well as the later models with the larger stocks. I have examples of both and the difference is pretty pronounced.

I went back into the add and noticed that they had this as a 1949 rifle. I don't believe that is correct, at least in so far as the stock is concerned. I'm pretty sure Remington had changed to the next generation of stocks before the war.
in either 1940 or 41 as I recall. If it has the original trigger, has had the buttstock cut for sure his rifle price is too high.

Last edited by Greg Palman; 04-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:48 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Palman View Post
in either 1940 or 41 as I recall. If it has the original trigger, has had the buttstock cut for sure his rifle price is too high.
yes sir, without a doubt. thanks for the confirm!!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:15 PM
RangeMaster37

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:

yes sir, without a doubt. thanks for the confirm!!
Talked with the seller this morning. The LOP is 13" so no assembly number on the end of the stock since it has been cut down like most. There is also no serial number in the barrel channel, all this from his information. Barrel code is "OF" so from July on 1937. Explained these factors to him and how this would effect the price. He is selling for a friend and they might separate the scope and just sell the rifle. If interested I would suggest contacting him, was a very nice person to speak with.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:19 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks rangemaster. Hate to say it but this just became a $500 rifle and I would not even pay that. Just too bad when you see this.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess what caught my eye initially was the fact that scope, aperture sight and both magazines were grouped with the rifle. Just don't see that very often.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting piece even though it is way overpriced. Typically a scope like that wouldn't have been used by a prone competitor because of its weight. I have only seen a handful of competitors over the years using Unertl scopes that weren't 1.5" models.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:16 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
I guess what caught my eye initially was the fact that scope, aperture sight and both magazines were grouped with the rifle. Just don't see that very often.
Yes sir. I would have seen this and thought the same thing initially, but it wasn't coming up under my typical search of "rangemaster 37". Had it been unmodified, I would have been interested myself. Sure is good to know what to ask and what to look for. It has saved me more than a few times - particularly with these 37's.

there was a 37 that just sold on GB. I did not see the final price but the last time I looked there were 20 something bids and it was at about $1,200. I did not inquire but I was pretty convinced that the wood had been refinished on that rifle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Greg Palman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The early stocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaster37 View Post
Talked with the seller this morning. The LOP is 13" so no assembly number on the end of the stock since it has been cut down like most. There is also no serial number in the barrel channel, all this from his information. Barrel code is "OF" so from July on 1937. Explained these factors to him and how this would effect the price. He is selling for a friend and they might separate the scope and just sell the rifle. If interested I would suggest contacting him, was a very nice person to speak with.

were about 14.25-14.5". Although I have never seen any remington statement about this my feeling is they were produced long to allow fit for tall long armed shooters, but could be cut to fit smaller stature shooters. They were a tool in a popular game back then.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 PM
rlb40x

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
www.gunbroker.com/item/863228705
Old 04-09-2020, 08:33 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks very much, Rib.

I'd appreciate some other's thoughts on this rifle. The wood appears re-finished to me, not only because of the sheen, but the buttplate is flat with the wood as opposed to the very slight raise we know it should have. If I'm wrong then this is the nicest 37 I've seen in a long time and I guess I missed out.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Greg Palman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I sort of

Quote:
thanks very much, Rib.

I'd appreciate some other's thoughts on this rifle. The wood appears re-finished to me, not only because of the sheen, but the buttplate is flat with the wood as opposed to the very slight raise we know it should have. If I'm wrong then this is the nicest 37 I've seen in a long time and I guess I missed out.
questioned the finish myself. However it is a late rifle, 12000+, and the only way to get a better idea would be to see it in person and look for evidence of sanding. If the buyer got the seller to remove the butt plate and look for the stamped assembly number that would be a better way to tell if the butt stock is all original. The end of the butt is a good place to look for any stock sanding rounding at its very end.

Last edited by Greg Palman; 04-11-2020 at 08:02 AM.