Take Down problem with HD Military - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:01 AM
Wolfgang45
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take Down problem with HD Military

Hello all,

I have acquired a Hi Standard H-D Military. I watched a few videos as to how to field strip the gun but no dice. After capturing the recoil spring with the button on top of the slide, I try to push the take down lever and it will only move slightly and it does not seem to be moving the slide block at all. There is no springy feeling to it at all it just moves down a little bit and stops. I don't want to push any harder on it. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Wolfgang
Old 03-23-2020, 08:41 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The “take down lever” does not move during normal operations.
It will only move when the driving spring is captured in the forward compartment of the slide.
To capture the driving spring, pull the slide all the way back.
Then push down the pin on top while pushing the slide to move forward.
If the spring is captured, the slide will freely move back and forth with little effort for about ˝ inch.
If the slide is still under spring pressure, the spring is not captured and the take down lever will not move.

When the spring is captured, the take down lever will move down with not much effort.
Looking from the side, the normal angle of the take down lever from the horizontal will be about 15 degrees down.
And then you can easily push it down to about 60 degrees from the horizontal.

Are you sure you captured the spring?
That is, does the slide move back and forth freely for about ˝ inch?

What happens somethings is old oil/grease over time solidifies and freezes the take down plunger in place.
In that case, remove the grips and loose parts and soak the frame in a bucket of mineral spirits for several days to dissolve the old oil/grease.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 AM
jofus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It also helps if, while doing the above, you pull the hammer down to allow the slide to be removed more easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Wolfgang45
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes sir, The spring in the slide was captured using the plunger on top of the slide. The slide would move freely with no spring tension but the lever will not press downward. it moves ten to fifteen degrees but stops dead. I don't want to press any harder. The slide seems to function as it should with no binding or anything like that. I will try soaking it to see if that frees it up.

Thank you,
Wolfgang
Old 03-24-2020, 11:33 AM
SGVictor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The suggestion to soak the gun in a solvent is probably your best approach. Many owners over oiled their guns and if left too long that oil turns to a gum or varnish. At that point you need to dissolve this material. It may take awhile - days.

Periodically as it is soaking you should try the take down lever for function. Once it moves a little past where it currently stops, you should periodically move the lever.

If after a couple of days, it will still not move, you may want to try fishing a stiff wire like a coat hanger over the hammer and try to assist moving the stop lug. This is just like the procedure described by Wayne in an older post about getting a a slide off when the stop lug point is stuck in the spring.

In any event this process will require patience.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:37 PM
eddeck
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help! I have Hi Standard model HB stuck slide, almost the same problem, but the slide spring is not holding back when the top button is pushed. There is no tension on the top slide button to hold the slide spring back

Just bought a model HB from proxibid and the info sheet said that it was missing the takedown lever. Watching a video and came to find out the supposed only way to get the slide off is to cut the slide on the top to access and to be able to depress the release latch..... then reweld the slide

I ordered the takedown lever, but the video I saw said that it can't be re-installed unless you can reset the slide .

Is any one familar with HI standards? I tried to find Wayne's old post about using a wire to depress the slide stop but could not find it.

How can I get the slide off?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:35 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddeck View Post
Help! I have Hi Standard model HB stuck slide, almost the same problem, but the slide spring is not holding back when the top button is pushed. How can I get the slide off?
While the example used is an HD Military, the same process could be used for an HB or B with takedown lever. I've actually used this method to get a slide off. Took some time and ruined the spring, but got the slide off.

http://hscollectorsblog.blogspot.com...-military.html
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM
eddeck
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
removing Hi Standard HB slide

Thaks

I will try and reset the recoil spring, but still have the problem of the slide stop not being able to release because the takedown lever is missing.

I think someone tried to disassemble the pistol like a 1911 and ripped out the takedown lever..

Someone said that a similar tool like to reset the recoil spring could be used to depress the slide stop' Is anyone familiar with that procedure?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HB

Eddeck, if you can capture the driving spring using the button on top of the slide, then you can use the tool described in my article cited above on the HSCA blogspot to push the stop lug forward to allow the slide to come off. You need to ensure that the hole in the stop lug that the takedown lever goes through is in alignment with the hole in the frame for the lever. Use a punch of the proper size or other tool to insert into the takedown lever hole and through the hole in the stop lug so that it can be held in the proper position before trying to push the lug forward. A screwdriver tip of the appropriate size can also be inserted in the right side of the frame to help move the stop lug forward using the notch on the lug. Or you can wait for your new lever to arrive and install it into the frame. That can be done as long as the lug hole is in alignment with the takedown lever hole. The side plate needs to be removed so that the end of the new lever can be captured properly in the notch in the side plate. The notch may be damaged from the person who ripped the end of the takedown lever out of the notch. You may be able to fix that. It is not unusual to see damaged or broken takedown levers on the type II pistols. I have replaced a couple on my pistols that were broken.

Last edited by HSWayne; 03-26-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
Eddeck, if you can capture the driving spring using the button on top of the slide, then you can use the tool described in my article cited above on the HSCA blogspot to push the stop lug forward to allow the slide to come off. You need to ensure that the hole in the stop lug that the takedown lever goes through is in alignment with the hole in the frame for the lever. Use a punch of the proper size or other tool to insert into the takedown lever hole and trough the hole in the stop lug so that it can be held in the proper position before trying to push the lug forward. A screwdriver tip of the appropriate size can also be inserted in the right side of the frame to help move the stop lug forward using the notch on the lug. Or you can wait for your new lever to arrive and install it into the frame. That can be done as long as the lug hole is in alignment with the takedown lever hole. The side plate needs to be removed so that the end of the new lever can be captured properly in the notch in the side plate. The notch may be damaged from the person who ripped the end of the takedown lever out of the notch. You may be able to fix that. It is not unusual to see damaged or broken takedown levers on the type II pistols. I have replaced a couple on my pistols that were broken.
Wayne,

We didn't get the whole story.

"The takedown lever is missing and I tried to take out the firing pin and it is stuck. I think the slide stop plunger is holding it up. Then I took out the little screw on the side of the slide that everyone says “do not take out!” and the top pin to hold back the recoil spring is now loose. Now the slide will only retract about ˝ inch."
He wants to remover the hammer and sear but that is all behind the buttress that backstops the stop lug and gains no access to the stop lug. and I have advised him of this.

With a pivot pin to replace the take down lever, and before he fooled with the screw and firing pin, he had a chance. Now, it is tough to guess the best recommendation for how to proceed.

Your thoughts.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 PM
HSWayne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HB

Well, John, that new information throws a pretty good monkey wrench in the whole deal.

If the slide could be moved back far enough to allow access to get a wire probe into the frame as described in my article, then it might be possible to push the driving spring and plunger forward enough to have room for the stop lug to be rotated down at the same time, while holding the driving spring and plunger forward. It would be best to get a new takedown lever in place before trying that, since it will take about three hands and a vise to be able to do those things at the same time. Looks like things went from bad to worse for Eddeck's pistol with his actions. I have seen, as I am sure you have too, many a boogered slot on the screw that holds the pick-up spring in place. Of course that screw is not intended to be removed until other parts in the slide are removed first, with the slide off the frame. The inability to get the firing pin out indicates parts have shifted inside the slide that may make it challenging to get the slide off. It would not help to remove the hammer and sear, even if it could be done, which it can't with the slide on the frame.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide Removal

I am sure that the OFM Gunsmiths can fix this problem without cutting the slide off of the frame. Since 1993, I have only seen ONE Failure. It was on a Model B that was brought to our Bldg at Camp Perry by Jim Clark. He had given up and, he brought it to Bob Shea who also Gave up !!! I took it back to Houston and, I couldn't do any good. The guys in the back ended up cutting the slide off and, we were lucky enough to find a replacement slide at a reasonable price. The possibility of finding a slide at ANY price is getting very difficult.- Alan Aronstein
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
I am sure that the OFM Gunsmiths can fix this problem without cutting the slide off of the frame. Since 1993, I have only seen ONE Failure. It was on a Model B that was brought to our Bldg at Camp Perry by Jim Clark. He had given up and, he brought it to Bob Shea who also Gave up !!! I took it back to Houston and, I couldn't do any good. The guys in the back ended up cutting the slide off and, we were lucky enough to find a replacement slide at a reasonable price. The possibility of finding a slide at ANY price is getting very difficult.- Alan Aronstein
I don't know whether or not the slide can be removed without damage. What I do know is that sight unseen, it is foolish to try to advise the owner how to do it himself. I have removed a few with special issues but it sometimes requires some time.

How much do you think it would cost the owner exclusive of shipping to have the OFM gunsmiths remove the slide?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM
HSWayne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HB

I pulled out an HB this morning to see what the minimum distance the slide must be moved back to be able to insert a wire into the "window" in the left rear area of the frame and slide as described in my article. The "window" is a gap opening that appears as the slide is pulled back. It is due to the milling of the inside of the slide that allows for a rectangular "window" to be observed when looking at the bottom rear of the slide as it is pulled back. If the slide is moved back 1/2 inch, there is no "window" open to insert a wire. If the slide can be opened 3/4 inch, the wire tool can be inserted into the "window" and the driving spring plunger can be moved forward enough to release the stop lug, and the takedown lever can be rotated down to allow the slide to come off. It took me about 30 seconds to get the slide off that way. After any needed repairs, a person needs be sure to re-capture the driving spring and put the slide back on in the normal manner. It took me less than a minute to re-capture the spring and reinstall the slide.

On Eddick's pistol, it may or may not be possible to get the slide back 3/4 inch due to loose parts inside the slide. Maybe shaking it around and/or upside down while pulling the slide back may get enough slide travel. Without having it in hand, there is not much more to say.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OFM Repairs

OFM has a Minimum Labor charge of $125.00 on the HD Military. That should Cover it. There is ZERO charge if they can't get it off. It will cost $25.00 Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail to return the pistol.- Alan Aronstein