Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:44 PM
vinceg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley ammunition????

Hello too all:

I was in a very nice sporting goods store today just looking around. I happen to see 2 bricks of Eley Tenex Pistol Match that had been in the store, that the owner tells me, for a very long time. We then got into a conversation about Eley & he says that now all Eley ammunition is made by Remington. I couldn't believe my ears w/ the poor performing 22LR that Remington makes. Was he given the wrong info by someone? I have seen some Eley-Remington but say it isn't so about what I heard.

Thanks, Vince
Old 03-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
No it's not true. People who work at sporting good/gun stores are usually among the most uninformed people there are when it comes to anything to do with firearms (with some exceptions of course). The reason why it's probably been sitting around for so long is because most people who go into a store looking for rimfire ammo are plinkers and think all .22lr ammo is the same. Most of them would probably buy Thunderbolts even if the Eley was the same price because they don't understand the difference. Tenex is still one of the best .22lr ammo there is.

Last edited by Nick7274; 03-13-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:38 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately he doesn't know what he is talking about. Eley is based in the UK and at some point years ago reached an agreement with Remington whereby Eley Match and Eley Target would be re-branded and sold under the Remington name. This ammunition is made and packaged in the UK using the label which includes the Remington name.

I have seen this ammunition for sale over the years at Cabela's and it is always overpriced when compared the Eley dealers in the US who are selling Eley Match (Black Box) and Eley Target (Yellow Box). My only speculation would be that many non competitive shooters are familiar with Remington, however they may not be familiar with Eley and their product offerings. This branding opens up the market for both manufacturers.

Remington hasn't produced any match grade ammunition in almost 40 years and their "target" standard velocity ammunition is not great. Historically both Remington and Winchester produced and sold .22 Match ammunition, however their production supported a then larger market and was viewed as a premium product. As time went by and the market grew smaller along with the profit margins these products were eliminated from their catalogs. Ironically, the Winchester Super Match Gold of the 1970s was created to compete with Eley Tenex and Winchester spent a significant amount of time and money to create their new offering. It was a great product, however it came at time with the market for .22 match ammunition was changing and when Winchester divested their New Haven manufacturing operations along with the Model 52 production the production of this ammunition ceased. I have been fortunate enough over the years to purchase a quantity of it and when matched with the right barrel it will still shoot.

Perhaps the local sporting goods staff ought to spend some additional time researching their product offering via their corresponding web sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 08:05 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did he give you any kinda deal on that dusty old ammo Vince?
Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Did he give you any kinda deal on that dusty old ammo Vince?
There's the real question. You should go back and ask for a good deal since it's made by Remington and all.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:44 AM
vinceg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley ammunition????

No he was selling it, but not to me, for $189.99 + NYS sales tax (.07%)/ brick. And no I don't think there would have been any DEALS. The info tag w/ price was so faded I could hardly read it. Perhaps he will sell it someday...
Old 03-14-2020, 02:08 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceg View Post
No he was selling it, but not to me, for $189.99 + NYS sales tax (.07%)/ brick. And no I don't think there would have been any DEALS. The info tag w/ price was so faded I could hardly read it. Perhaps he will sell it someday...
Tell em how the bullet wax gets cracked from age and will no longer performs like new. Then again that would probably be wasted sage advice horse wrangling on anyone who believes Rem makes Eley ammo.