Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which convertible 22/22WMR to buy?

I want to get a "Cowboy gun" for plinking . Seems like my choices are Heritage(medium quality), Chiappa (lesser quality) or either a Single Six or an Umberti. I wouldn't mind a conventional revolver either, but I don't know of any that will convert from 22lr to 22 WMR. I'm open to suggestions. Right now I'm running a LCPII in 22, a Ruger SR22 and a CZ 75 9mm.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned just about every combination of convertible single action revolvers, but with most of them, I rarely used the extra cylinder, shooting only one cartridge most of the time. The one exception has been a Ruger standard Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP. I get excellent accuracy with the 45 ACP, even using the cheap aluminum case factory stuff. In 45 Colt, I can shoot cowboy loads for plinking or step up to standard 45 Colt loads and if I feel the need for pain, I can even shoot Ruger only 45 Colt loads. It's definitely been my most versatile convertible and love punching those big 45 cal holes in paper. Fun gun.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post
I want to get a "Cowboy gun" for plinking . Seems like my choices are Heritage(medium quality), Chiappa (lesser quality) or either a Single Six or an Umberti. I wouldn't mind a conventional revolver either, but I don't know of any that will convert from 22lr to 22 WMR. I'm open to suggestions. Right now I'm running a LCPII in 22, a Ruger SR22 and a CZ 75 9mm.
From my own personal experience, I'd strongly suggest the Ruger convertible. I had one that I bought to use as an "entry level gun" to use in IHMSA silhouette competition. As it turned out, it shot as well as any revolver being used in IHMSA competition. I took that gun to the IHMSA Internationals and shot a 77x80 with it and I shot without a spotter that day. I also shot a 57x60 at our Region 1 shoot and a 56x60 at our state shoot that year. Using the .22mag cylinder, it shot as well as either of my SW 648's or my earlier model 48 guns. I realize that they all don't shoot as well as the one I had, but most of them shoot a lot better than the person who's shooting them. Way, way back when I had the model 48, I had a .22lr cylinder that came with the gun from the factory. I don't think SW does that anymore. Sadly, after getting out of silhouette I sold that Ruger at a gun show. I'm sure someone's walking around with it and doesn't ever realize what he has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I've owned just about every combination of convertible single action revolvers, but with most of them, I rarely used the extra cylinder, shooting only one cartridge most of the time. The one exception has been a Ruger standard Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP. I get excellent accuracy with the 45 ACP, even using the cheap aluminum case factory stuff. In 45 Colt, I can shoot cowboy loads for plinking or step up to standard 45 Colt loads and if I feel the need for pain, I can even shoot Ruger only 45 Colt loads. It's definitely been my most versatile convertible and love punching those big 45 cal holes in paper. Fun gun.
Wow, I had to look and see if this was one of my old posts. Ok, I dont qualify for the 'every' part of this, but the rest mirrors my experience.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 AM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger.

It may be a bit higher price, but after a few years of ownership and many thousands of trouble free rounds, you'll realize the price was worth it. I had one for a bit over 20 years, and put tens of thousands or rounds down the barrel. Only sold it when I replaced it with a S&W 617. Never a whimper out of it.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:46 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post
The distinction you're trying to make here is single action revolvers (cowboy gun) versus double action revolvers (conventional revolver).

Most convertibles are going to be single actions because it's easier to produce as a convertible. All you need is the cylinder and it changes without tools. There have been double action convertibles but they're much less common as they are more expensive to produce. They typically had a separate crane assembly to go with it and you have to remove screw(s) to change it.

The first handgun I bought with my own money at age 12 was a single action Uberti .22 convertible. I figured out early on that the concept of a convertible sounds great in theory but in practice, not so much. Switching cylinders also requires adjusting the sights to hit point of aim. Not a big deal if you're just shooting at the range but I use my revolvers in the field and they need to shoot to the sights every time I pick one up. So it makes much more sense to me to dedicate a revolver to one cartridge or the other but not both. In my opinion the .22Mag is a dedicated hunting cartridge and its novelty at the range quickly wears off, so for me its use is limited.

The Heritage and Chiappa are both low quality guns. They're made as cheaply as possible out of the cheapest materials, hence the very low price. They're functional as a disposable, low grade plinker. If that's what you want, look no further. For a budget grade plinker I'd more strongly recommend the Ruger Wrangler. It's a definite step up in quality over Heritage for a modest price of around $180.

So with all that in mind, I'd more strongly recommend something like the Ruger Single Ten, which is .22LR only. My personal preference is for the Old Model Single Six. Probably why I have four of them.

S&W's K-22 is also a fine choice but we're talking a lot more money and scant few convertibles.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Ruger Single Six 22lr/22mag I bought used in very good shape for $400.
Taurus does make a DA revolver with interchangeable cylinders. 992.
https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/r...s/tracker-992/
Old 02-27-2020, 01:06 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I read all the reviews of the various makes and models. The one thing I remember reading about the cheaper guns was it was ok for the money but no Ruger. I am not sure if it is still that way but I saw a guy doing a youtube review on the Heratige RR and remember him forgetting to take the safe off and he could still pull the trigger and the hammer would go forward but acted like a ftf. I bought the Hunter model that is stainless and comes with scope rings. I can pop a scope on and off in less than a minute and if you get a Loopy 2X the sights can remain intact. If I want to hunt squirrels with it I put the scope on otherwise it is sighted in for the mag cyl. which is what I carry when scouting or checking trail cameras. Mine shot ok when I first got it but the trigger was poor. Both rough and too heavy. Did a little work on it and it shoots both rounds under half inch off the bench with the scope at 28 yards.

Last edited by profsrgary; 02-27-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: addl info.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Dan Wesson in .22lr as a pistol pack. It came with a .22mag cylinder and crane that the previous owner had added to the kit. Not truly a convertible but it can be swapped over with a little work. Not something for field swaps.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:32 AM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger or a used Colt
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would buy a Ruger Single Six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 10:43 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Iíve had them all. The colts and tigers are probably the best of the decent options. I finally decided to just buy a freedom arms 97 premier. About 6X the cost of the others but itís phenomenal in every aspect. Itís they only rimfire revolver I own now.

My second choice would be a dan and wesson or a smith 617
Old 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I second the vote for a Freedom Arms 97; ridiculous amount of money to spend until you shoot one.
gkn
Old 02-28-2020, 06:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
note that i have not bought an Heritage or Chiappa revolvers.

There were SOME DA revolvers with Dual cylinders, but they arent so common and if you are looking/pondering the Heritages/Chiappa, they are way out of your bank account.

Whats been posted, is where you can start looking - price wise and go from there.

There are the USED colts SAA 22s you can look for. But if its a dually, make sure the barrel is actually a dually barrel They marked them differently depending on the model. But they maybe out of your price range depending on the model and codtion too unless you want to splurge.

personally i would just a ruger and call it good and dont look back. They are built like a tank and if you do your part in taking care of them, they should last you a lifetime of fun. If you are thinking $$$ in the future, good luck. They will go up, but not as much as a colt. USFA did make some 22LR/MAg SAAs and others toys, but again, the prices are way out of your bank account.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my 4 5/8 inch bbl Ruger super single-six convertible used but never fired for $450 and have never regretted it.