Remington Eley ammo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM
dash4cash
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Eley ammo

I think I read a review somewhere on here but cannot find it. I was wondering if anyone has tried this ammo, my local Dunhams has it on clearance but still around 12 to 15 bucks per 50 depending on type. Not sure if its made by Eley or by Remington.

Carl
Old 02-11-2020, 11:24 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It's made by Eley for Remington.
Better quality than any other Remington 22lr for that reason.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 AM
dash4cash

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was wondering how say the Eley Match compares to the Remington Eley Match EPS, seeing that they both are about the same price I was hoping they might preform the same, would save me shipping on the Eley Match because I can buy the Remington locally. Looks like I may have to do some testing lol.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 01:39 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash4cash View Post
I was wondering how say the Eley Match compares to the Remington Eley Match EPS, seeing that they both are about the same price I was hoping they might preform the same, would save me shipping on the Eley Match because I can buy the Remington locally. Looks like I may have to do some testing lol.

Carl
Different lot# so one never knows how it'll perform until one knows.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Different lot# so one never knows how it'll perform until one knows.
This is worth noting. I bought four bricks of Remington Eley Match that was on sale with a dealer, but still more expensive than Lapua Center X. In six different Anschutz rifles it shot very poorly. I've heard of some fellows who have liked it, but the lot that I got was the worst match ammo I've ever had.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed at my local Dunhams, sitting side by side, Eley Match EPS and Remington Eley Match EPS. The Remington was $1 more. Why buy it?
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM
dash4cash

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mike, my Dunhams does not carry the Eley Match, just the Remington, sure wish they did.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
MY CZ's and 2 Win 52's do not do well with Remington Eley. CCI SV is better. SK Match is so far the best in my rifles. Again, each rifle is an enigma.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 PM
No1_49er

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As with ANY rifle and ANY (22LR) ammunition, you have to test EVERY batch, find the one that works for YOU/YOUR RIFLE, then buy 10,000 from that batch.
It's a pointless and futile question to ask how others have experienced this or that ammo'. Some might say it's cr-p, others will love it. Doesn't mean that's how it will behave in your rifle/s.
Isn't that why we also end up with similar, but not the same, recipes for centrefire hand-loads?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:11 AM
dash4cash

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1_49er View Post
As with ANY rifle and ANY (22LR) ammunition, you have to test EVERY batch, find the one that works for YOU/YOUR RIFLE, then buy 10,000 from that batch.
It's a pointless and futile question to ask how others have experienced this or that ammo'. Some might say it's cr-p, others will love it. Doesn't mean that's how it will behave in your rifle/s.
Isn't that why we also end up with similar, but not the same, recipes for centrefire hand-loads?
Not pointless at all, if most like it I will give it a try, if most dont I will leave it alone, thats the hole purpose of posting in the ammo section for me, being new to this and not wanting to buy 124 different types of ammo.

Carl
Old 02-12-2020, 07:21 AM
No1_49er

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If most people don't like it and you passed on it, how would you ever know that it just might have been the grail for YOUR rifle?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
How would you ever know that it just might have been the grail for YOUR rifle?

I suppose you could get the one box of that particular batch that shot well.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right? But thinking of it as a long term cartridge to use,
odds are y'er gonna end up with the the same problems as the rest of us.
Funny thing, rimfire ammunition quality is not a constant.
It varies moment by moment as it's made, due to variations in the components
and changing tolerances on the assembly line. Thinking that every box that comes off the line
will shoot the same, day in and day out, is a mistake. Took a bit for me to learn that one.

It's true ya' have to find the ammunition y'er rifle likes.
The bad news is it has nothing to do with the brand.
It depends solely on the quality of the cartridges in that brick.
Once they're gone, you have to find another brick of the same quality to replace it.
That can take some doing....

Last edited by jaia; 02-12-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:31 AM
mjac
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tossing a wrench into the debate, if its an Anschutz, how many here have sent your rifle to Anschutz for ammo for tests and evaluation?

I sent 100's $ down range on my first and may send them my most recent purchase. Unless it happens to shoot something I already have.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shot in high power and small bore position competition for 14 years in the 60s and 70s. Then I shot in 50 yard ARA matches, 100 yard group matches and long range silhouette matches from 65 to 200 meters starting in 2004. Back in the 60s and 70s a guy would buy a case of Eley 10X and sell it by the brick to the guys on the team. That team consisted of Anschutz 54 1413s, Remington 40Xs and Winchester 52s. That 5 man team shot a record 2000 at a 100 yard prone match with metallic sights using that ammo in every rifle.

When I started shooting benchrest matches I had a shooting partner. We both had custom Anschutz 54s. His was smithed by Bill Meyers with a Lilja barrel and mine was smithed by Steve Bolter with a Shilen Octagon rifling barrel. Both of us would lot test and often we would trade boxes of ammo to see if the results would be the same. This is high end ammo, either Eley Match or Lapua Midas. Maybe the results wouldn't be exactly the same in each rifle but if a lot was good, it would be a good lot in both rifles and a bad lot was just as bad in both.

My point is, if you own a high end rifle used in target competition, a good lot will be a good lot in any rifle of that caliber. I've heard it a million times, "Find what your rifle likes". That may have some validity in rifles that don't have high end barrels and even then if you don't lot test than saying SK STD + out shoots Eley Match in my rifle means nothing. I've actually shoot the best 100 yard group I ever shot using a superb lot of SK STD +. But I would never say that SK STD + shoots better than Eley Match in my rifle because another lot of the SK wouldn't hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards. The first lot had a velocity spread of 29 FPS while the second lot had a spread of 85 FPS.

These statements are based on 25 years of competition and a lot of ammo/lot testing.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:31 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone know the comparable Eley to the Remington Eley Match vs EPS. Grouped both through my M12 today with a 20 power Lyman All American mounted. First four shots at fifty with The Remington /Eley Match was at .012 with a fifth tailwind gust at .125 out. Wind had come up while running five with the EPS , vertical was excellent with horizontal spread. Local store has just four boxes remaining of both at $15. Probably the comparable Eley is cheaper online but would like to order a few bricks to test. Kind of cringe at .30c a shot but shows this rifles capabilities.