Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:00 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a RUger Wrangler

Picked up a 22LR Wrangler single action yesterday at a gun show for $185 NIB + tax. Total price out the door $200.Got the black version. Fit and finish is pretty good but not great; there is some gap in where the frame sections meet, and the casting line down the middle of the frame is definitely visible (but smoothed out). Has nice heft. Took it to the range and shot it 5, 7 and 10 yards. Shot pretty much to point of aim with 3 types of ammo (Fed. and Win. bulk 36gr HP HV and Wolf Match 40gr LRN SV). Trigger is ok, not great. But for a $200 revolver it is pretty to shoot, and feels like it will last. Only two things I wish Ruger had done, even if it mean a bit more $ - put a crown on the muzzle (it's a straight cut barrel) and made it a 9 shot instead of 6. There's plenty of space for the extra 3. Love the simplicity of loading/disassembly of it; no half cock thing to remember.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:48 AM
68bonne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wrangler

I purchase mine about 6 months ago its also black , put some walnut grips on it. So far have fired 3000+ rounds no issue still looks good. It seems to be my favorite single action I like the free spin cylinder. Have a Bearcat, Bisley, Colt New Frontier, and a Heritage but the Wrangler is getting the most range time.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:54 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Sounds like a fun gun to own and be happy that your fixed sights are so well regulated for your ammunitions. Congratulations on your good fortune to own it.

Aleady owning a Heritage 3" bird's head grip is the only thing which has stopped me from purchasing one of these Wranglers. It appears to be really neat plinker. My 'firstest handgun ever' was a Ruger SSS and its still going strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2019, 08:31 PM
22shooters

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine shoots 4 in low at 15 yards. Next time I shoot it, I will file the sight.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Amusing

A small gap,,,, a mold line,,,,Hmmm, guess I’m showing my age...I remember when we used to debate if 8 line checkering or ten line checkering was better,, and was it true checkering or was it ‘pressed’. And. Hmmm,, there is a slight gap between the wood and the steel,,, maybe a 1/16th of an inch,

Whew,,, how things have changed.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:15 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
OD/Black

I have my reservation in for one in the new OD/Black combination. I have been looking for a while and this new combo just tipped me over.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:18 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
A small gap,,,, a mold line,,,,Hmmm, guess I’m showing my age...I remember when we used to debate if 8 line checkering or ten line checkering was better,, and was it true checkering or was it ‘pressed’. And. Hmmm,, there is a slight gap between the wood and the steel,,, maybe a 1/16th of an inch,

Whew,,, how things have changed.
I'd rather find a decent used Uberti .22 single action. Seems like a better value even at twice the price, after all it's only a couple hundred more. Give me a real forged steel frame, tight loading gate tolerances, proper crowned muzzle etc. The old sayings like "you get what you pay for" and "the pleasure of the quality remains long after the sting of the price has faded" still ring true. The Wranglers and Heritages may look OK from 20 feet but they never will look or feel right in the hand.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
The Wrangler in my right hand and two C-notes in my left hand feel pretty good to me......
Old 01-05-2020, 01:45 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
The Wrangler in my right hand and two C-notes in my left hand feel pretty good to me......
Have you had a Uberti in your hand my Friend? Might just change your mind.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They're both good guns, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you closed your eyes.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:51 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Uberti's are good guns but they haven't been under $200 in over 30yrs. The Wrangler is an entry-level sixgun and for what it is, it is excellent. It "feels" like a lot of gun for its modest price tag. The Heritage just screams "cheap" to me and always has. That said, I have room for them all in my accumulation from the Wrangler and $200 Single Sixes to best grade customs that cost more than a good used truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
They're both good guns, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you closed your eyes.
You'd lose that bet.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:03 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Uberti's are good guns but they haven't been under $200 in over 30yrs. The Wrangler is an entry-level sixgun and for what it is, it is excellent. It "feels" like a lot of gun for its modest price tag. The Heritage just screams "cheap" to me and always has. That said, I have room for them all in my accumulation from the Wrangler and $200 Single Sixes to best grade customs that cost more than a good used truck.

You'd lose that bet.
Absolutely. Just take one second to feel the casting part lines. I have several Uberti CF revolvers that I bought used, priced in the $400-450 range. Now if one were to be blindfolded and handed either a Colt or an Uberti I do think that you'd have a hard time telling the difference, and I've had a few Colts. I'd rather have one good quality revolver than two or three cheap ones.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can't tell a difference between Colt and Uberti SAA's but I can tell a difference between them and a late model domestic USFA.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
congrats if you have the wrangler - ive looked [not supposed to be available in my state] i have not seen one that tripped the trigger yet at a gunshow - only place ive seen them ,

i do have a pair of ubertis , they are really nice , you cannot go wrong here - save the dollars if that is all that you are looking at , but not much more if you look ,
Old 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Have you had a Uberti in your hand my Friend? Might just change your mind.
I own both .
The Uberti shot left and high and the cylinder pin froze up on me . I had to use pliers to get it out and had to polish the pin to eliminate the issue .
I tried carefully bending the front sight to change its POI and the front sight broke loose from its slot in the barrel .
I used JB Weld to put it back on and luckily got it set to POA .
The Ruger Wrangler cost half as much and mine has the high left issue on targets , but I can hit a tin can with it every time .
BTW I own several Ruger Single Sixes with fixed sights that are dead on .
And I’ve owned several Heritage single action rimfires .
The Wrangler is the best deal out there IMO .