Winchester Power Point? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:37 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Winchester Power Point?

I hope I have the name of this ammo correct. Was at the range today and and another shooter was making what seemed like some pretty wild claims about this ammunition. He said it shoots almost as good as Eley 10X in two of his target rifles. I know rim fire rifles can be really finicky about ammo but Eley 10X in my experience shoots great in just about any gun. Do any of you have experience with the Winchester ammo?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
EDIT- My memory failed me below. The ammunition I was recalling was actually "Dynapoint", and I don't recall it having a hollow point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsarge48 View Post
Do any of you have experience with the Winchester ammo?
20 years ago Power Point had a very good reputation with CZ rifle shooters. I like it for pistol; it had a hard, dry wax lubrication and the powder residue seemed finer and a lighter grey than other kinds of rimfire.

I don't have any idea whether the current product is really the same thing.

Last edited by zukiphile; 11-12-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I guess it depends on your rifle. I used to use the earlier Power Points that were made in Australia and they would print some pretty impressive groups in my 52B and did amazing things to sage rats and rabbits. However, I've found that now that production has moved to Illinois, it doesn't seem as consistent in my rifles- but it is still at least good enough for shooting small game with as those truncated cone hollow points are extremely effective and open wide with they hit something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Larry in Bend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used PP since almost the beginning of its availability (has to be 20 years). It was very accurate at long ranges and very effective on our Ground Squirrels.

My habit is to resight ny rifle (a Volquartsen-ized 10-22) every Spring before Ground Squirrel shooting begins.

This year, I had used up my imported PPs and bought some USA made. They strung vertically almost 2" @ 50 yards. No good for my uses. Interestingly, some cheap 38 grain Federal that I bought for just over 2 cents apiece was the winner out of several brands/styles Rem GB was second. Both brands produce occasional flyers that open the group from around 1/2" to an inch+. The old PPs had fewer flyers -- more consistent.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Based on the advertising image, which is supposed to be the best possible display of the product,
anyone claiming superb accuracy using it with any rifle, at distances beyond 25 yards,
would cause me to snort with suppressed laughter...sorry folks, that's cr*p ammunition
and no rifle could make it shoot any better than it looks.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:26 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
I've found that now that production has moved to Illinois
American made Winchester Rimfire had been made in East Alton IL. until 2004 when "manufacturing" moved to its present location in Oxford Mississippi.
Quote:
Also in 2004, Olin Corporationís Winchester Division announced a decision to relocate its East Alton, IL rimfire manufacturing operation to Oxford, MS. This decision, based on Winchesterís desire to continue to offer a complete line of ammunition products, allowed it the ability to reduce costs, improve efficiencies, better utilize existing technology and achieve improved profitability in the product line. The relocation was completed in 2005.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_Corporation

http://www.b2i.us/profiles/investor/...ngID=1&ID=6661
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post

Based on the advertising image, which is supposed to be the best possible display of the product,
anyone claiming superb accuracy using it with any rifle, at distances beyond 25 yards,
would cause me to snort with suppressed laughter...sorry folks, that's cr*p ammunition
and no rifle could make it shoot any better than it looks.
So, you have a special power that tells you how accurate ammo is by looking at it? Aren't you special?
Any time you want to come out and see how it shoots we'll go out to the range and set up some targets and see if you think the same way after a few boxes.... I even still have a brick or two of the Australian produced stuff available ....
Old 11-12-2019, 04:08 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yeah Bob, I do. My special power is seeing the obvious and pointing it out.
Click on that image, take a close look at the condition of the nose on each of those cartridges.
Split and cracked plating, dinged and dented irregular bullets, asymmetric shapes.
That's cr*p ammo. You know it, I know it and anyone capable of looking at that image knows it.
Don't take it personal, just deal with the fact that Winchester does not produce high quality 22lr.

Last edited by jaia; 11-12-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM
rainbowillis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Quote:
I've found that now that production has moved to Illinois
American made Winchester Rimfire had been made in East Alton IL. until 2004 when "manufacturing" moved to its present location in Oxford Mississippi.
Quote:
Also in 2004, Olin Corporation’s Winchester Division announced a decision to relocate its East Alton, IL rimfire manufacturing operation to Oxford, MS. This decision, based on Winchester’s desire to continue to offer a complete line of ammunition products, allowed it the ability to reduce costs, improve efficiencies, better utilize existing technology and achieve improved profitability in the product line. The relocation was completed in 2005.

Nothing good comes out of Oxford.. Go Dawgs
Old 11-12-2019, 04:18 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

You're probably right. I know I read somewhere that they had moved production to Illinois, but I may have assumed after seeing their HQ address on the ammo box?

Bob
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 PM
retiredsarge48

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Question answered -thanks.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:15 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You're probably right. I know I read somewhere that they had moved production to Illinois, but I may have assumed after seeing their HQ address on the ammo box?

Bob
Western Cartridge who later acquired Winchester Ammunition formed Western Cartridge back in 1898 in East Alton IL. where American Winchester ammunition had previously been made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Cartridge_Company
Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 PM
blademan

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I think Winchester could have found a few better-looking cartridges for this photoshoot.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree with you BMan.
One problem...did an image search for Winchester PowerPoint 22lr.
None of the results that turned up look much better.
Try it for y'erself.

That's the thing about the internet.
It's way too easy to find pictures showing just how well, or poorly, ammunition is made.
I read posts claiming "all day long sub-moa" with brand X, yet an image search returns pics of low quality ammo
and there is no way that cr*p ammo will produce the results as claimed.
Sure, you might get a group or two that hold together, but not all day long.

Especially when the bullets look as bad as these do...

Last edited by jaia; 11-13-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 AM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A corporations professional photographic advertisment

with a torn off sales label? Get real.