Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
They all look alike in that gunsock wrapper
So the Midway brand fits better over scopes? Like those CZ's with the high scope mounts?
I have used Midway brand (I believe they are made by Allen), the old Remington brand they used to sell at Wally World and the Sack-Ups.

Rem--too stretchy and not durable enough; made in China

Midway/Allen--very durable but not stretchy enough to go over a scope; made in China

Sack-Ups--very durable and perfectly stretchy; made in USA. Nuff said. Oh yeah, they have a sewn-on label so you can note what gun is inside (not that I use them)!

cb
Old 11-27-2011, 04:18 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Looks like i'm the only one who won't use a gun sock. in my opinion they don't offer enough protection from getting ding's from the rifle there next to in the safe, especially when there fitted with peep sight's. maybe it's because i have rifle's stacked like cord wood in my safe's. i use some thing like a bore store but thinner, yet still with padding.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbiscuits View Post
I talked myself out of a Norinco JW-15 on Friday. Its stock was cracked/repaired at the wrist but the bluing was nearly perfect. The machine work was truly abysmal--dovetail milled off center, front sight falling off, magazine latch pivot drilled off-kilter. I guess one doesn't buy a Norinco for its beauty, but for its thrift and accuracy. Still, I couldn't bring myself to "pull the trigger". It would have fit in well with my Model 1 and tgf. Oh well, can't win 'em all!

cb
I bought one acouple year's ago unfired for $125, it was so ugly i had to refinish the stock before i would take it to the range, i was afraid some one i knew might see me with it. it shot good but i didn't keep it long.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use gun socks. I believe I got the rifle ones from midway over the years. It is a bit of a pain to locate a specific rifle since mine are in three crisscrossed rows going back two feet in one of the safes.

My pistols are either in the shipping case if compact, or in borestores. I've had to pile them up a bit for lack of room.

I really need to draw up a seating chart over the Christmas hollidays and go over each looking for signs of rust and giving them a general once over. So far rust hasn't been an issue but I'm in northern michigan and not a coastal area. I also keep a coffee can of desiccant that I alternate with another can that I dry out in the oven.

The guns I shoot often tend to be in the front of the safe so finding them isn't so bad.

Szumi
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac View Post
I bought one acouple year's ago unfired for $125, it was so ugly i had to refinish the stock before i would take it to the range, i was afraid some one i knew might see me with it. it shot good but i didn't keep it long.
The shop was only asking $129--I was just unprepared for how rough the fit and finish was. If I was a squirrel hunter, I might have picked it up to drag through the woods without worrying about dings and dents, but I have no need. I suppose it's more of a novelty than anything, what with 4 Brnos in the house.

cb
Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
tnridgerunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thumbs up

I use gun socks on every long gun I own. I've used several brands, Remington, Sportsmans Guide, Midway, etc..... They all perform fine
but I do use the ones that are impregnated with silicone for the rust
protection.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnridgerunner View Post
I use gun socks on every long gun I own. I've used several brands, Remington, Sportsmans Guide, Midway, etc..... They all perform fine
protection.
They are a cheap investment for protecting the firearms.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 AM
tnridgerunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wink

GM,
I know you did't ask but since you're talking gun protection, a good ScopeCoat or any scope cover is some extra protection as well. In some
cases our optics are just as much as investment, IMO
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
CTPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnridgerunner View Post
protection.
I use plain ones, but regularly wipe or spray my guns with silicone, especially the barn gun. So they get a build up of silicone from contact with the guns.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My dozen Midway/Allen socks arrived today and they will fit over my American with her 4x16 sunshaded scope. Snug, but they will accept the scoped rifle. I expect they'll loosen up a bit over time. They will not fit over a scoped UL without removing the 10 round magazine.

These socks have a small tab for gun ID on the muzzle end. That doesn't help much on the upside down guns. I'll get some suitable name tags of some sort somewhere someday. Anybody?

Tomorrow, I'll sock it to 'em and try to figure out how to get 12 mostly scoped long guns into a 24 gun safe.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Try these tags, or any you can find in OfficeDepot, OfficeMax, HomeDepot, Lowes, etc.

Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
Try these tags, or any you can find in OfficeDepot, OfficeMax, HomeDepot, Lowes, etc.

Bob
Those will work. Thank you.