Old 06-05-2020, 03:49 PM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Opinions: Whats the most accurate .22 Under 1K

...new or used, your input appreciated.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:28 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Accurate .22 rifles

Take a look at the rifles being used by members here in the 50 yard iron sight bench rest matches. I think a majority of them can be had for under $1,000 if cosmetics don't matter too much. These would include the Remington 40x, Winchester 52 and the Anschutz rifles. I hope this helps you.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:56 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, +1 on the above post. But just add my 2 cents.
My most accurate From least expensive, bolt action only
Anschutz JR Varminter $ Inherited
Glenfield Model 20 $150
Zastava CZ 99, aka Rem 5, $200
Savage MarkII FVSR $250.00
CZ455 American $300
CZ 453 Varmint $350
CZ 455 Varmint $$375
CZ 455 Full Stock $ 400
Savage MarkII TRRSR $425

There are a lot of accurate guns for under $500. Some may need some work, or a few after market parts to optimize but nothing too expensive. But unless you are shooting competitively
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 08:07 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
If you go used, Anschutz.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The accuracy of a given gun is only loosely related to its cost.

I have found that more expensive guns are more accurate on average. But there is plenty of overlap, and a lot of money is spent on pretty features and not accurate features. More expensive brands have minimum accuracy standards that will prevent most poor performers from ever reaching the public. I know of one centerfire gunsmith who accuracy tests each re-barrel he does, and if it's not shooting 1/4 moa, he puts on yet another barrel. His re-barrelling costs about twice the average rebarrelling. If you're buying new, any unfired gun will involve some luck to get a really accurate one.

Ammo is another variable. Some rifles can shoot most ammo well while others only shoot only a small minority of ammo well. Some don't shoot well with any lot or brand of ammo.

So anyway, finding a very accurate gun is not easy, and as such, shooters don't sell the accurate ones very often. But sometimes they do and they provide targets as some proof.

So that's why there's no formula for maximizing accuracy for a given cost. It's because accuracy is dominated by variables that can't be measured, predicted, or directly paid for.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:26 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Correct. Best bang for the buck.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:57 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
A used Anschutz. A second thought comparing new vs new is that a CZ will give you about 95=98% of the Anschutz accuracy for around 40% of the cost. It's really the best value per dollar spent.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Just remember, rifles that are capable of itty bitty groups at 50 yards are usually expensive. Don't settle for anything less than a true match chamber. Most single shot Anschutz qualify. Picking up one at your price range is not a problem. But, there is a hook in that worm. They require match ammo to perform to their maximum potential. You will spend just as much in 6 -8 months on match quality ammo as you did on the rifle. They sure are fun, and it will ruin you forever shooting those good scores and little groups. It can be a fairly expensive hobby. Just want to make sure you are aware of what you're getting into. Don't expect match accuracy with medium grade ammo, or with any rifle with anything other than a true match chamber.

PS: If at all possible, get a brick of Eley Match and try the rifle at 50 yards before you buy it.

Last edited by ammohog; 06-06-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Win75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Savage MarkII FVT that is just as accurate as my 52C. And this is for about 1/4 the cost. Both will do minute of fly at 50 yards if I do my part.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
A used Anschutz. A second thought comparing new vs new is that a CZ will give you about 95=98% of the Anschutz accuracy for around 40% of the cost. It's really the best value per dollar spent.
I own both brands and I would not agree on the 95-98%.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win75 View Post
I have a Savage MarkII FVT that is just as accurate as my 52C. And this is for about 1/4 the cost. Both will do minute of fly at 50 yards if I do my part.
I wish mine did. I don't think most can even come close. Let's face it...you got very lucky with your particular Savage.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post

Many guns cane be MADE to be accurate, but out of the box, a good used Anschutz beat them all.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:07 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
I wish mine did. I don't think most can even come close. Let's face it...you got very lucky with your particular Savage.
I guess I got lucky with my Savage MkII BTVLSS, it is very accurate. But so is my Savage MkII GVL in 17m2 and my Savage model 12 FVL in 308.

Let's face it, all companies will have a lemon slip out on occasion. And we all know how finicky some rifles (rimfire and centerfire) can be about what ammo they like.

If you participate in competitions all the time, buy the best that you can afford within your budget. For the average shooter that loves accuracy but does not compete, there are plenty of choices in most budget ranges.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimstar, you are asking a question with no definite answer. As stated in previous posts, the more expensive examples are going to have better quality materials and tighter tolerances, thus the odds of getting a consistently accurate rifle will go up....BUT, as also stated, every rifle manufacturer has a sub par product escape occasionally; the more expensive ones just have fewer of them. And cost is NOT as directly related as you would expect to the potential level of accuracy as you would imagine. I have seen very accurate affordable examples from all the major manufacturers (Savage, Marlin, CZ, Remington, Winchester, etc.), but they have all been tuned (trigger, crown, bedding work, etc.) to perform their best with specific lots of ammunition. Ammunition is the big variable that can enhance or degrade any rifle's accuracy potential, and matching them together is the key. Back to your original question, "Most accurate .22 under $1K?"....an older used but well taken care of and well sorted rimfire benchrest rifle from someone who is leaving the sport. It was designed from the start to be as accurate as possible. I know this is the low end (1K$} of these rifles, but deals do exist, if you will look for them.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 06-07-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How about narrowing down the variables so this is a manageable discussion. Other wise this conversation will encompass every rifle ever built and you will get more answers than you can possibly make sense of...

How will the rifle be used? Hunting squirrels? Benchrest? Competition? Informal target shooting? Plinking?

You wouldn't want to carry a benchrest capable rifle like a 52C, 40X Target, or other into the field much, but then some sporter weight rifles are capable of very good accuracy, but probably not exactly benchrest competition level. Lots of rifles are available in your price range, but you have to decide what will tickle your fancy or you'll be a crazy gun buyer like the rest of us... Don't be surprised if you can't stop at one rifle....

Then you have to decide on a scope to suit your purposes, then a rest or bipod, then a proper stock, then the right ammo, and on and on and on....

Bob