HV vs sub

I agree with his results.

Watch "Sub 22lr or HV 22lr ammo for Mini ELR?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/SK_neEXC1Pw
Old 05-18-2020, 05:09 AM
Anschutz458

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice. That reinforced RWS HV HP for me.Great video.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:47 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Uhhg....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 02:32 PM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post
I agree with his results.

Watch "Sub 22lr or HV 22lr ammo for Mini ELR?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/SK_neEXC1Pw
Interesting results - thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Interesting results - thanks!
Now I'm REALLY confused
Old 05-19-2020, 10:04 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ya, STEEL SHOOTER, your confusion I'm guessing is due from the supersonic ammo doing best?

I'm willing to see things differently than I had before. For instance high speed is supposedly affected more by wind drift?.........

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html
http://team40x.com/wind/page8.html

Although there had been an "RFC" member swear that the HV he was shooting was less affected by wind drift than subsonic at long distance.

A lot of talk about the 22 rimfire transition zone from super into subsonic velocity may have been misinterpreted data? The Aberdeen proving grounds, Ballistic research laboratory study BRL-MR-3877 showed a minimal transition zone effect that wouldn't be enough disruption to make a difference.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a229713.pdf
Quote:
VI. Conclusions
5. The nonlinear Magnus moment acting on caliber .22 match bullets at transonic and subsonic speeds causes a slow-arm limit cycle yaw of approximately 1.8 degrees. The slow arm grows to the limit cycle value at about 50 metres range, and persists out to 100 metres range. The limit cycle yaw adds approximately 2 percent to the zero-yaw drag, but has an insignificant effect on accuracy, retained velocity wind sensitivity.
I say...go out and get yourself some good shooting high velocity 22 LR.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:30 AM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not the first time we've seen some evidence favoring HS for extreme distance. Interesting, yes.

But out to 100 yds am sticking with these results:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...reloading-com/

You can go to the original thread to get some idea of how rigorous the test was.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Why not do your own test.

Put up an A23-5 target at 100 yards sometime there is a consistent 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock wing.

Shoot a 10 shot group (holding center) on the upper scoring target that is on the upwind side with one type ammo.

Drop down to the lower target and repeat the drill with the other ammo.

Check the target and see what the drift difference is.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Several relevant notes:

- I watched the video of the Australian shooter and his reasoning for why he likes high velocity ammunition. I give him high marks for taking the time to produce a video which supports his theory. However:

- The .22 is realistically a cartridge that was designed to shoot 100 yards
- Yes the cartridge can certainly travel farther at witnessed by his video, however beyond 100 yards I believe using a centerfire cartridge is what is required
- He is aiming to hit an area with the hope that in the right conditions that he will be rewarded with a "group"
- I know that the question of high velocity ammunition vs. standard velocity is favorite topic on RFC (For reasons that are beyond me) however there are several items that should be noted.
- High velocity ammunition is not made to the same requirements as standard velocity match ammunition
- Standard velocity ammunition is designed to shoot small groups on a target at a known distance with the goal being to win a match or series of matches

If a shooters only goal is to hit a large plate beyond 100 yards then perhaps high velocity ammunition is the way to go. In my experience that is what I would call "plinking" vs actually trying to see how much performance you and your rifle are capable of achieving.

If you are still a non-believer then I recommend the following:

- Purchase some mid to higher grade match ammunition (SK Match, Center-X, Eley Match, etc.)
- Purchase some of your favorite high velocity ammunition
- Set up an NRA 100 yard target (A-25) at your local range and proceed to shoot 10 round groups in no-wind as well as medium to high wind conditions. I believe you will see the following
- Match ammunition will produce much more consistent results in terms of its ability to group as well as buck the wind as it increases / decreases
- High velocity ammunition will not produce the same results in no wind conditions and in fact they will degrade as the wind velocity increases / decreases

If there were an advantage to using high velocity .22 ammunition then prone and position shooters would have been using it for the last 100 years.

Bill