Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 AM
Discontinued
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Classy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckndee View Post
Trophy Dragon fly photos. Nearly walked off a 20 ft fishing dock several times shucking and jiving for optimum shot distance. Reminded me of WW II arterial dog fight.

I like this

For a long time insects have been the enemy of all right thinking men and women.

there are a few apaologists but deep down we all know which side we belong to in this most ancient of wars.

When I was a teenager my cousins friends and I would go on "insect Safari"

For this type of game hunting

I had a Webley senior in .22 which was a strunning pistol

my cousins cousin was packing a Brockock Colt SAA air cartridge revolver it was an Uberti .22lr converted to fire air....long story and sadly banned by our tardy politicians....

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/fea...0-years-later/

It was a wild and rough experience being out in the "bush" at the end of his parents garden

We dressed for the part with panama hats and cricket whites and gin a tonic you just have to look "colonial" when on safari!

We had to dodge the danger of the tennis court, or we like to call it the game reserve. all hunting was prohibited on the reserve, although occasionally we would go poaching on the base line when his parents where away!

He had a large pond at the back of his garden, which was prime location for our expeditions, there where pools of stagnant water which much like a watering hole, attracted our game!

Long hot summer days with copious amounts of gin and tonic and fine wines led to some very remarkable shots.

Many a pond skater was sent to Davy Jones' locker. No bee or wasp was safe in our dominion we put paid to many arachnid, insect small bird worm and action man most notably we where overrun by some incredibly large beetles in a slow motion stampede that occurred on the veranda.

As the duke of wellington said about the cost of victory

the battlefield the next morning was a gory sight the beetle corpses where piled high and we strode out lamenting our decisive victory against this most formidable of foes!

It was reminiscent of the movie Zulu and I was Micheal Caine, has was the Sergeant guy but far more stylish, as I was wearing a Panama.

I remember Danny shooting the head "clean orf" a dragon fly while it was perched on a leaf. it did not move and inch it just sat there until we took a closer look, it had its head removed from its body altogether buy the awesome powers of Danny's 6ftlb air pistol.

This was bested by my quick draw prowess with my single shot Webley, when I clipped a bubble bee in mid flight off the hip...It was like busting a clay it exploded in a shower of dust.

The joys of youth....

I found a quantity of Eley "rat shot" crimped .22 shotshell recently and was considering getting an Anschutz smooth bored .22 garden gun, they're like £40-60 quid over here

To this day I have some "sugar shot loads made up for my heir loom Webley Junior SMOOTH BORE air pistol as we get Hornets in my apartment during the summer and they are scarily big..Sugar shot from 3 yards is highly effective against winged game.

Interestingly enough there was and English explorer Albert Stuart Meek who had a miniature shotgun made for butterfly hunting as .22 shot was too damaging.

I could never find any picture of the said firearm although rumor has it that he used graphite powder for shot as not to damage delicate butterflies.

Clearly this guy was a dude of the highest order.

http://www.factfiend.com/the-man-who...ith-a-shotgun/

One day man will successfully cleanse the world of mans oldest foe, the insect...

To hell with the consequences for the environment.

Last edited by Discontinued; 04-09-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Geez I wouldn,t shoot those dragon flies. They are #1 mosquito eaters. I stopped carpenter bees by filling cracks and blowing cayenne pepper powder into the few over hangs they try to get in. Works great. I've used Neco wafers or practice golf balls for targets. Golf balls are reusable. Federal crimped SS work the best in my M42 Targo with or without choke tube.
This is the very reason I haven't shot dragon flies since I was a kid (many years ago).

Well had the first hunt of the year the other day. Enough carpenter bees showed up in the warm weather to force me to get out the mini-shotgun to defend myself.

John
Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM
buckndee

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I know some are sensitive about dragon flies because they eat mosquitos. I hunt a 15k ranch with a 10 acre bass lake. You can fish early and late with mininal mosquito discomfort. But hunting deer and squirrels in the timber and hard woods requires a thermacell clipped to my back pack to say focused so as to not give away my presents. Not standing too long in place helps also. Surprisingly I do see a few dragon flies in the hard woods and canyons far from water courses.

Couple shoots a year does minimal impact for the pure fun and memories made. If you have a smooth bore .22 gun give it a try, some of the most difficult wing shooting you can imagine.

Haven't had a good grasshopper crop in years, maybe this will be the year. "Have guns and ammo, will travel"!

Last edited by buckndee; 04-09-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2020, 04:16 PM
1SHOT 1KILL

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Iíve got a 510 smoothbore and when I use the crimped shotshells, they get stuck in the barrel

Doesnít happen with CCI plastic capped shotshells

Anybody know why this is happening?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2020, 04:54 PM
sabel
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1sgot 1kill
The crimped end of the shotshell is getting trapped in the throat/rifleing. I had that happen as a youngster with my granddad trying to knock down a paper wasp nest high up in the eve of his house. One shot up and back inside fast to avoid the falling stinger, and remove the stuck shell. Then back out for another try, never got that nest down.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Salukiman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In praise of Routledge

At this time of year in central Kentucky The European Starlings are back to build
nests and breed in the eaves at the back of my house. This is also the time I take
out the Remington 514 Routledge Bore 22 and a box of Winchester or Federal crimped bird shot shells. From a hidden position behind an open window in my garage, at a range of 25 to 35 feed I can pick the little buggers off as they come swooping in.

I usually kill around 15 or more birds each season. It's so much fun and frankly I'd
rather be hunting starlings than ducks over a pond. They're just as challenging.
Thank you Mr. Routledge for the brilliance of your barrel design!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:14 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Salukiman you wouldn't by chance be an SIU grad would you? Inquiring minds want to know,

John
Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huh maybe inquiring minds don't want to know.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:25 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Not many carpenter bees around where I live but grasshopper and dragon fly season is just around the corner. I'am shooting a Winchester 61 pump with a Routledge bore with Federal crimped shot shells.
Dragonflies are very beneficial, Google what they eat and you probably won't be shooting them so much. There are people who buy the eggs in order to get large populations of them to control mosquitos and such around their properties.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:28 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Trophy Dragon fly photos. Nearly walked off a 20 ft fishing dock several times shucking and jiving for optimum shot distance. Reminded me of WW II arterial dog fight.

If you like mosquitos keep shooting dragonflies.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:51 AM
Renegade61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Routledge bore

Quote:
Not many carpenter bees around where I live but grasshopper and dragon fly season is just around the corner. I'am shooting a Winchester 61 pump with a Routledge bore with Federal crimped shot shells.
Is your model 61 an original "Routledge Bore"? Or, the Winchester counter bore?
Serial Number??

I have at least one each of the Remington 121 smoothbores but have NOT shot them.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:44 AM
buckndee

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Original, you have serial number on you list 45164.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Akboater
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smoothbore

Summer is just around the corner for us up north and I'm thrilled to be part of the smoothbore club. We were Outside (Alaskan's term for the lower 48 states) and happened upon a gun show in Wichita. We only had a short time to peruse the place so we cruised through much faster than I would have liked to ....in fact, I could have easily spent all weekend trying to see everything. We had a limited budget and as we passed the first few tables, nothing jumped out until...I spotted a Remington M121SB in easily 90% condition. I quickly located the owner and we did a very short negotiation and I walked away with the Remington and he was holding my cash. A couple tables later, we saw a Browning High Power at a fair price so that ending up cleaning us out of cash. We made arrangements to ship the guns to our FFL and are now awaiting the arrival of deer flies. And if the smoothbore proves a bit light on those monsters, I'm sure the 9MM will do the job!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Renegade61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Routledge bore

Quote:
Original, you have serial number on you list 45164.
Thought so............. wanted to confirm. Have not shot any of mine. Jealous!