Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM
beartrax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brno Model 2 Set

I have been chasing Brnos for some time now and this week I finally put together this set of Model 2s. All three are 1957 guns and are all original and untouched. Not pristine examples in every case but decent. This set with a Deluxe Model, a Standard Model and a "Farmer Model" was harder for me to put together here in the USA than a set of Model 5s. Now to watch for an opportunity to upgrade a little.............

Old 04-12-2020, 09:08 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Very nice.

I would be proud to own any of them.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:54 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Very nice! I didn't know that there was a Model 2 Farmer version.

Between the Models 1, 2, and 5, which is your favorite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2020, 09:56 AM
beartrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Favorite

Picking a favorite Brno .22 is like picking a favorite child.......you love them all for different reasons. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would likely be an early Model 5.............

BTW......the Model 2 "Farmer Model" with its fat stock and steel butt plate is the ugly duckling of the three but shoots more accurate than any sporter weight .22 I own.

John

Last edited by beartrax; 04-12-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added Info
Old 04-12-2020, 10:42 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrax View Post
Picking a favorite Brno .22 is like picking a favorite child.......you love them all for different reasons. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would likely be an early Model 5.............

BTW......the Model 2 "Farmer Model" with its fat stock and steel butt plate is the ugly duckling of the three but shoots more accurate than any sporter weight .22 I own.

John
I've never handled a Model 2 or 5, but that makes sense to me. I think the Model 5 would be my Goldilocks sporter with its Model 1 type rear sight and barrel profile, and the Model 2/4/5 trigger and all. I've had a 1 and 3, now only have the 4 which I love for bench shooting. I hope to get my hands on a good 2 or 5 someday.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice, congratulations! It's interesting that you mention the difficulty getting model 2's, I have struggled to find clean model 2's, much more than model 5's or 1's. I do like the "farmer" models, I see them like a CZ American with sights.

Last edited by jes; 04-12-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:57 AM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very, very nice. Well Done.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:18 AM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Between the Models 1, 2, and 5, which is your favorite?
Yup, that's a tough one...

Model 1/5: I prefer the Model 5 over the 1. I mainly like the Model 1 because it's easier to hand load a round in a chamber due to its open and squared ejection port (comes in handy when I was/am teaching my kids to shoot). However, no complaints on either model.

Model 2 with stock variants...even tougher! I like the full feel of the 'farmer' stock, but tend to shoot the 'standard' stock more often. Both shoot great...(one is a 6 groove barrel, the other 12 groove...but that's a different conversation!)...I can't tell the difference in how they shoot. It is interesting to feel the differences...my '57 M2 'farmer' is buttery smooth whereas my '72 'standard', while smooth, seems very (in a positive way) "clickety clack"...hard to explain. IDK, the older one could have a lot more use than the newer one, or it could be the difference between a BRNO and CZ made Model 2...who knows?

Model 3/4...Well, I don't have a model 3, so I have to go with the Model 4 on this one...

Now, between all of them...I have to go with the Model 2 'standard'. It's just a personal preference though, based on heft, barrel length, sights and it's aesthetics. I don't know why CZ went with the hogsback comb over the straight comb. Much more appealing to the eye, IMO

DW
Old 04-13-2020, 08:36 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (248)
Very nice, beartrax. You obviously have a knack for finding them.

I now have four Model 1s, including one tgf. I literally stumbled on the first one in a LGS in 2012. I got the other three through RFC members. I really like the look, feel, and handling -- they are just plain sweet! The icing on the cake is that they are very accurate and not ammo fussy. They are not BR rifles, but three of them will consistently shoot better then 1/2" groups off the bench (the fourth is close) and are great for off-hand shooting at spinners. I'd love to find a nice Model 2, but no luck as yet. For whatever reason, Brnos of any flavor are nearly non-existent in local shops.

Doug
Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 AM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Very nice, beartrax. You obviously have a knack for finding them.

I now have four Model 1s, including one tgf. I literally stumbled on the first one in a LGS in 2012. I got the other three through RFC members. I really like the look, feel, and handling -- they are just plain sweet! The icing on the cake is that they are very accurate and not ammo fussy. They are not BR rifles, but three of them will consistently shoot better then 1/2" groups off the bench (the fourth is close) and are great for off-hand shooting at spinners. I'd love to find a nice Model 2, but no luck as yet. For whatever reason, Brnos of any flavor are nearly non-existent in local shops.

Doug
I've only found 1 locally, at a gun show...a 1970 Model 5. The guy was a dealer from way up in northern NY. Interestingly, the M5 didn't have any import marks, so it probably made it's way from Canada.

DW
Old 04-13-2020, 09:03 AM
mauser22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great set of guns. Good Collecting!
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Dobegrant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice looking trio
Old 04-13-2020, 12:52 PM
BRNO/CZluvr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Love to see everyone's rifles especially BRNOs. Very nice trio you have. Had no idea there was a farmer model. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:47 PM
mauser22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Here's your brochures

I did not know that stock was referred to as "farmer". The gun appears in some 1958 literature I have shown stocked only with that stock. Also these subsequent brochures, which I can't date precisely. Quite obviously the schnabel stock remained more popular.

Note that checkered variation was available and the early style front sight hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brno-2a.jpg (234.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Brno-2b.jpg (529.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg German-a-lite.jpg (128.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg German-b-lite.jpg (167.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mauser22; 04-13-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 04-13-2020, 04:01 PM
beartrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Farmer Model

Well darn Mr. Jim.......now it appears that I do not have a complete set. I was not aware that the "Farmer Model" was available in a checkered stock......now I need to find one. The term "Farmer Model" was most certainly not a Brno term as I think it was coined by an Aussie collector friend of mine to describe a model that was intended for rough use. He would term it "Agricultural". I have only seen two in my years of searching and both were without checkering and somehow I assumed that they likely did not offer it. I should have known better....with Brno you never really know.