Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM
trh9905
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Model 50 Match Ammunition

I recently purchased a Model 50 Match and I would like to know what to expect from that gun based on the ammunition being used.

What is a good practicing ammo?

What is a good competition ammo?

What us a great completion ammo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is never an easy one to answer as like all things in life, different rifles like different ammo and all produce different results. I asked this question myself when starting out and received great information here on RFC.

What is good practice; good competition and great competition is largely down to the end user and his/her shooting discipline/accuracy requirements. What shoots great in my rifle may or may not do so in yours, what shoots great in my rifle this month can be crappy next month, all things being equal its down to different lots of ammo.

Being that as it may, if you shoot competition or just want to get the best accuracy from your rifle, please only use good quality match ammo, I would recommend you try the following.

Note This is the ammo available to me here in the EU, you may have a greater choice in the US.

Budget (but can provide super results) SK Std+, SK Rifle Match, SK Pistol Match, SK Flat Nose.

Mid-Range Comp = Eley Club, Eley Edge, RWS R50, RWS R100, RWS Special Match.

High End Comp = Lapua X-Act, Midas+, Eley Tenex, Eley Match.

Lots of time, patience and lot testing is the only way to truly answer your question.

Giz
Old 04-06-2020, 08:38 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trh9905 View Post
I recently purchased a Model 50 Match and I would like to know what to expect from that gun based on the ammunition being used.
Gizmo has given good advice for what's likely your Model 54 Match rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 08:48 PM
sqweeler

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wouldn't put the RWS's with club & edge.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Add Lapua Center-X to your mid-range match list.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the competition: Prone, 3-P, Benchrest, Silhouette? This has a major impact on the degree of accuracy you may want. Next, at what level do you want to compete? A raw beginner may not need the same degree of accuracy as an aspiring world champion.

A novice Prone 3-P shooter starting at 50ft (US) or 25 yards (UK) might practise with any SV ammo, and compete with SK Standard+. However an Olympic squad member will practise with Eley Match, or even Tenex.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would focus on what you can afford and then test ammunition in that price range. It would be better to purchase a single case of Eley Club than one or two bricks of Eley Match. Even if you can afford Tenex, I would start with mid-priced ammunition and go from there as there really isn't any point shooting top of the line ammunition if you are learning to use your new rifle. This becomes even more important if you are new to smallbore prone / position / benchrest shooting. As your abilities improve then I would focus on testing as buying off the shelf is a "hit or miss" proposition when it comes to optimal accuracy.

Bill
Old 04-07-2020, 08:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
One thing I have learned in the three years I have been involved in rimfire competition is to practice with the same ammo you shoot in competition. Otherwise, how do you know if an errant shot was caused by you or a flyer in sub par ammo?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went through ANA and lot tested both RWS Rifle Match and RWS Special Match. They are both on sale right now. I stopped at Special Match because that’s the ammo that will allow me to be competitive in my local match’s that I participate in. If and when I need to get something more accurate I will then give R50 a try. But at the level I am competing at the Special Match is plenty accurate, precise and consistent for what I need. But as it stands right now the flyers I get are not flyers. They are me not following fundamentals and are called misses.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:27 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot bench rest

I shoot SK+ for practice , Center X for club shooting and Midas + for comps.

I practice alot and find the cost of high end ammo too expensive for my likes so I prefer to shoot more at a lower cost than less often at high dollars
I enjoy shooting though.

When practising my thinking is that I find I need to apply myself increasingly to get the best out of SK+ which is the point of practice, Compered to when I shoot Midas+ it scores better as a rule and I could fall into being complacent