Win. 52 #364 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litetrigger View Post
I have been asked to explain the "Sedgley Treatment" RF Sedgley started working in 1897 in Phila. PA. Later bought the buisness in 1916. Became well known for his sporterizing of 1903 springfields after WW I as they were released to the public at a very affordable price. He put an attractive stock with a schnable tip forend. He was written in American Rifleman as "The poor man's Griffin & Howe" That he built an "Excellent Custom Hunting Rifle" for serious sportsman. His name was with names such as A.O Niedner and Frank Hoffman. It is said that he bought the remaining stock of High Wall actions from Winchester and produced some fine pieces with them. He died 1n 1938. I am very proud to own this 52, even though it seems to offend some.
An excellent summation. Sedgley was a gifted gunsmith and his work was first class. Rifles that can be traced back to Sedgley himself are collectible in their own right.

Your rifle began life as a standard Target model (Slow Lock) and was made in mid-September, 1920. At some point, perhaps during the sporterizing, it was converted to a Speed Lock.

At the time your rifle was given the "Sedgley treatment", the very early serial number wouldn't have been given a second thought. The owner obviously wanted a lighter and more sporty field gun. As the Model 52 Target rifle was modeled after the 1903 Springfield and Sedgley concentrated on sporterizing them, the Model 52 was obviously a candidate for the same conversion.

There is a difference between being offended and being sad that such an early rifle was professionally sporterized and I read Big Larry's comment as being sad.

The work on your rifle appears to be top drawer and I would also be proud to own it. It's an excellent example of the "Sedgley treatment".

Last edited by doubs43; 04-06-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Litetrigger. Thanks for the info on RF Sedgley. Thats a unique rifle with a fine pedigree. Very cool.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:20 PM
retired3100
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree! I have read Big Larry's posts on this forum and others. He is an aficianado of unaltered Winchesters and has an extensive collection from what I've read. Big Larry was purely stating sadness over an early 52 being altered. Sedgley rifles are collectors items in their own right. Many M1903 Springfields used by the USMC were retrofitted with Sedgley barrels and sights. That being said, Nice rifle! Shoot it in good health.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:04 PM
SBS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
It would be most helpful if both shooters and collectors would understand and appreciate each others views. Many target rifles of all brands have been altered over the years to their owners' tastes -- after all, they were manufactured to be used in competition. As all competitors know, improvements are made over the years and most want to stay competitive. And of course, some have been diverted to sporting uses and altered for that purpose. Collectors prize the unaltered specimens to mainly hang on the wall (or now, locked in the safe) because they are few and far between. Don't believe there would be much interest in collecting Win. 52's if all 12X,xxx werel all still new in the box -- any more than there would be in say, collecting all the current versions of Rem. 700 rifles now on the market -- no scarcity, so no interest. In reality, the more older rifles are altered, the more scarce and desirable the remaining original ones are. Collectors could be sad about altered rifles and shooters could be sad about collectors guns just setting in safes and not being used for the purpose they were designed and made. I think whatever legal use you make of firearms is your business and others should appreciate that. While maybe it's not their cup of tea, a particular use is not more legitimate or moral than any other use. Now, fire away if you will, but that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well said SBS!!! But you don't hear a shooter bad mouth a collectors piece. How come? We are just nicer ?!! LOL Now let get back to the enjoyment of 22's.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:20 AM
beartrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Upgraded 52"

Many years ago, I sporterized a pristine Swedish Model 96 Mauser that was made in 1917. It was still new in every respect. It was done by a very talented smith and made a beautiful sporting rifle that I enjoyed very much. Years later I came to appreciate the collector value of such a beautiful piece of hardware - in other words, my perspective changed after many years and such weapons became hard to find. When the Model 52 came on the market, no one was thinking that there would be a strong collector market 100 years later.... it was "just a .22 target rifle" designed and made to be used a lot. The owner had a level of appreciation for it that he was willing to spend a substantial sum to make it into "a nicer weapon" - a custom gun for sure. Any critic at the time would be viewed much the same as me scolding you today for customizing a new Remington 700. I would love to own it as it is now or as an unaltered example of one of the best .22s ever made.

Just my take. It's a free country..........thank God.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Recoil Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ha! Many years ago I did the same to a Swedish Mauser, it was a 1900 minty DWM 96. I was getting them on Long Island for $70-80 at Edelmans, they let me cherry pick. I turned it into what I call my "Planet of the Apes" gun, looked just like those clubby guns the gorillas carried.

I wish Sedgley was still around, I have a M52 barreled action that was given to me by a guy who used to be the coach of a shooting team at a Catholic boys high school.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 PM
Mklluser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooters vs Collectors

At 70 years of age I can really appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of firearms made by hand and fitted by quality gunsmiths. I enjoy purchasing those same firearms that some Collector set aside and treated special. Once they belong to me I use them for what they were designed for, to be shot. I still treat them special but my estate will only be selling used guns. My way is not the only way, it's just mine.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:33 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mklluser View Post
At 70 years of age I can really appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of firearms made by hand and fitted by quality gunsmiths. I enjoy purchasing those same firearms that some Collector set aside and treated special. Once they belong to me I use them for what they were designed for, to be shot. I still treat them special but my estate will only be selling used guns. My way is not the only way, it's just mine.
Well said...
Old 04-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
It takes a big man to cry.

It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:22 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS View Post
It would be most helpful if both shooters and collectors would understand and appreciate each others views. Many target rifles of all brands have been altered over the years to their owners' tastes -- after all, they were manufactured to be used in competition. As all competitors know, improvements are made over the years and most want to stay competitive. And of course, some have been diverted to sporting uses and altered for that purpose. Collectors prize the unaltered specimens to mainly hang on the wall (or now, locked in the safe) because they are few and far between. Don't believe there would be much interest in collecting Win. 52's if all 12X,xxx werel all still new in the box -- any more than there would be in say, collecting all the current versions of Rem. 700 rifles now on the market -- no scarcity, so no interest. In reality, the more older rifles are altered, the more scarce and desirable the remaining original ones are. Collectors could be sad about altered rifles and shooters could be sad about collectors guns just setting in safes and not being used for the purpose they were designed and made. I think whatever legal use you make of firearms is your business and others should appreciate that. While maybe it's not their cup of tea, a particular use is not more legitimate or moral than any other use. Now, fire away if you will, but that's my 2 cents worth.
Totally Agree!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:31 AM
tomon

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
It takes a big man to cry.

It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Is that tall or wide??????
Old 04-10-2020, 10:28 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomon View Post
Is that tall or wide??????
I am tall and wide. Big Larry