I was good for a few months, but then... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:05 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was good for a few months, but then...

Then I found a grail gun on GB, a 1950 made Winchester Model 70, standard, 30-06, straight stock, steel butt plate, leaf rear sight, all correct and original, easily 90% rifle. Sent the personal check and six days later I have it. It is exactly the rifle I've wanted for a long time, a recent Hickok45 video of his pre-war Model 70 put me on the scent, it didn't take too long for the right one to show up at 2AM a week ago.

I got it yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon I got a text from a local shop, he had two Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Model 1805 flintlock pistols for sale. I went over and looked, they are tarnished but will clean up well. I hadn't realized I needed them but at $300 the pair I guess I did.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As someone once said to me, and I pass on to others, there's a lot worse things you could be spending your money on. Remember, "need" isn't a prerequisite and ain't got nuttin to do with it

Congrats on the new purchases!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Rider357

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That is an investment. Fine guns can be turned into cash anytime. I have never regretted buying a nice one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Investment? No, not really. You buy good stuff and try to 'buy right', lets say $1000. You keep it, maybe use it, for the past 10years. Comparable's are asking 1500 so you do, and maybe (stress maybe), but lets say you do get 1500, 500 profit (capital gain) sounds good and you will report it as Long Term CG on taxes, right.....
But in that 10 years inflation has devalued each dollar in circulation in half; ie, 1/2 the purchase power of when you bought in.
So, really, you got more 'dollars' after 10years but you Lost Money.
Or at least I did Nobody was going to pay me $2000, my break-even tipping point when comparable's are 1500.

Last edited by gcrank1; 03-07-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:58 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Investment? No, not really. You buy good stuff and try to 'buy right', lets say $1000. You keep it, maybe use it, for the past 10years. Comparable's are asking 1500 so you do, and maybe (stress maybe), but lets say you do get 1500, 500 profit (capital gain) sounds good and you will report it as Long Term CG on taxes, right.....
But in that 10 years inflation has devalued each dollar in circulation in half; ie, 1/2 the purchase power of when you bought in.
Or at least I did Nobody was going to pay me $2000, my break-even tipping point when comparable's are 1500.
Like your thought process. Just to bad the IRS will not.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:22 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Pre 64 Winchester Model 70.

Congratulations on your Winchester Model 70 acquisition . . . enjoy taking it to the range and/or hunting with it. Earlier this week at the LGS, I spotted a Pre-64 Model 70 in 22 Hornet that peaked my attention, but it's way over my financial resources at this time. Still, a nice looking rifle and I don't have a 22 Hornet, but I would probably opt for a CZ 527 version.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Flynmoose

Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have two CZ 527 22 Hornets, they are great! They shoot factory ammo well, careful handloads better. They are very hard to beat at the price point.
FM
Old 03-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Chucksolo1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Investment, let's just say, it depends. I bought a Colt SAA in 1977 for $399.00. I sold it in 2014 for $1400.00 to a sheriff in Colorado. Good investment I would say!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
As long as us stupid Americans allow the most Colossal Ponzi scam ever, known as The Federal Reserve System, to continue, than we will have inflation forever.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Enjoy shooting regardless.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Rider357

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would also add, all the years of enjoyment you get owning and shooting nice firearms should not be overlooked. Therefore I consider them a good investment. Canít same about cars unless you have a clean Ď63 Corvette in the garage.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:33 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Of course there are exceptions, such as old Colt's and Winchesters, Purdeys and Holland & Holland; ie, real 'investment grade' arms, then there are all the others like the nice, far from junk guns that most of us have and think we might actually make a buck on when we sell. The latter was what I was referring to...and Im sure the IRS wont give me a Capital Loss any more than they would if I sold my vintage Mustang for less money, accounting for inflation, than I bought it for.
To be sure, I would like a Mdl 70 like that one, have just looked at a couple of 30-06 in the past couple days. To play with and admire. But I wouldnt bet my future on getting a 'return on investment' more than my cost of entertainment. It was a hard lesson, and relatively recently in retirement, that I ran the numbers and discovered that I had been blissfully ignorant about my supposedly appreciating inventory. The vagaries of the changing market (ie, the current black-gun crowd isnt much interested in the stuff I have) make it a craps shoot that the 'one guy' will show up with money at my table for my x,y, or z. And dont even think of getting cost out of a custom gun.
The old rule of thumb has been,"buy/collect what YOU like and like you might keep it forever. You just might have to".
Sorry for the rant....'investment' talk kinda gets me goin'.....I'll stop with this now....
NICE MDL 70

Last edited by gcrank1; 03-08-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Preston-CLB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Return on investment (cash outlay) can take several forms: sell at a profit, enjoy the design/machining/finish/materials, shoot it and have fun doing it.

I had a 1967 M70 in .308 with Bausch & Lomb scope on it. I had to sell it, and made a profit, but have regretted doing that since. It was a very accurate, and beautiful rifle.

NHCollector2, did you actually buy the rifle? If so, we would love to see some nice pics of it. Take it out and shoot it and give us a range report. Enjoy!
--P
Old 03-09-2020, 07:48 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do people really notify the IRS when they make some money on a gun sale? Dealers must, but private citizens, even when going through FFLs? Asking for a friend...

I've generally done OK on gun buys and sales, though profit is not usually the prime motive for my gun buying or selling. I buy what I like at the best price, sell when I want getting the best price I can. I am not in the business, I just like to have well made firearms that have some historic meaning and are well designed and crafted. I think most of us here have similar motives.

BTW, I think I did OK at $899 for the Model 70. If you are interested in seeing it it is GB item 857184758. The seller has quite a few interesting guns listed.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Preston-CLB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't answer your IRS question. You might be able to find an answer on the Web--Google is your friend.

I looked at the pics of the rifle on GB. It looks real nice for a 50's vintage rifle.

Enjoy!
-P