Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP74 View Post
(Of course now I'm looking up SP101's vs 63's and seeing some Ruger fan boys talking about how much better they are. Not even going to get involved in that. I'll have to handle them both and see what I like better.)
LOL, well sure. Everyone has his preference. Life would be awfully dull otherwise. Sounds like you have a good range of options and opinions! Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by flangster; 02-26-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
LOL, well sure. Everyone has his preference. Life would be awfully full otherwise. Sounds like you have a good range of options and opinions! Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
For sure!

I've been shuffling my 22's around for a while now. Got rid of that one last fall, then got bored with my Mk IV target and ended up getting one of those new Glocks. (It was nice, but a little too light for me. I think a cop friend is going to buy it.) To replace that I ended up getting a Buckmark. Now I'm excited about getting a wheel gun again!
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
.....I'm not a fan of loading and unloading the single actions one round at a time.
Do it enough and there shouldn't be a difference in loading/unloading time. The DA empties quicker but the SA is much quicker to load, unless you're using speedloaders. Of course, speedloaders, like magazines, don't load themselves.

For me, the Old Model Single Six is where it's at and I have four of them. Been trying to wear this one out for about 20yrs and 30,000rds. I also have its twin from 1959 that's basically unfired.

Added this one last year, as I always wanted a 9.5" and it belonged to the late Terry Murbach. Its grip frame with some fancy walnut are coming home this afternoon.

For a "kit gun", I like the Bearcat.

For a DA as a general purpose sidearm or for hunting, an older K-22 is my favorite. It's also seen a lot of miles and produced a lot of dead critters over the last 23yrs.

Then there's the nickel model 15 and its model 18 understudy.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Models 17 and 18 are also a great little revolver. Its prices seem to have been driven up by collectors. At least that's what it seemed like the last time I went looking. Not really a "kit" gun like the 63, but an elegant piece of machinery.

Here's the 18:

And the 17:

I tell ya, I am a sucker for those S&W wheel guns.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:30 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m at the shop right now. There’s a 63-5 used. They’ve got it listed for $600 which obviously is over priced. If I can get them down $100 or more I may...
Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dumb question: 63 vs 63-5 what’s the difference?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:14 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I had a 63 but I did not care for the trigger. There is really nothing you can do to make it nice, at least not K-frame nice. The straw that broke the camels back was when chunks of metal started falling off the frame near the forcing cone. Bad forging. Smith & Wesson allowed me to exchange it for another model. I highly recommend the 4" 617. It is a great revolver IMO.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:18 AM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might as well jump on the 63 bandwagon, I have the 5 inch model and it is a fantastic shooter and great to have on your hip, before I moved away from home it was my most carried/shot handgun. It stays in my dads safe now. I have shot the sp101 .22 and the trigger sucks compared to the smith and I couldn't shoot it near as well. I also have a 317, bearcat, and some single sixes. The 317 is a nice gun if you want ultra light weight but can be difficult to shoot, the bearcat is a nice gun but pretty small and is pretty ammo picky. I have 4 single sixes and all shoot different, one is great with magnums and lousy with long rifles, 1 is mediocre with both but still tin can accurate the other 2 are pretty good with long rifles but don't like magnums. None shoot as well as the 63 but do get close sometimes.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You say you liked the GP, then mention smaller. Sounds like the SP101 would fit the bill. Same operation, same takedown.

Wolff springs will lighten the trigger and cocking effort. Easy to do in about half an hour. Made a big improvement in mine, and about 200 rounds smoothed it out.

The factory mainspring is 16 lb.. Wolff supplies 13, 14, qnd 15. The 14 works for me, 13 had light strikes. The trigger return is 10 lb. factory, 8 lb. Wolff.

Hogue's grips help, too. You can get the rubber overmold, or solid nylon.

Last edited by bearcatter; 02-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
You say you liked the GP, then mention smaller. Sounds like the SP101 would fit the bill. Same operation, same takedown.

Wolff springs will lighten the trigger and cocking effort. Easy to do in about half an hour. Made a big improvement in mine, and about 200 rounds smoothed it out.

The factory mainspring is 16 lb.. Wolff supplies 13, 14, qnd 15. The 14 works for me, 13 had light strikes. The trigger return is 10 lb. factory, 8 lb. Wolff.

Hogue's grips help, too. You can get the rubber overmold, or solid nylon.
Somehow when I first posted this I had gotten a little mixed up. I had the GP100 a while back but had ended up doing some trades and got an SP101 and that was the one I got rid of last fall and missed.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

So I ended up at the shop before work today. They didn't have any new 63's in stock, but they could get me one for around $685. I saw this used one on the back wall. They took it down off the wall and got the zip ties off so I could fiddle with it. Seemed to be in good shape. Barrel looked clean, trigger felt good.

I told them I wanted to do a little more research and went out to the car.

I called S&W to find out a little more about it. I wanted to know what the difference was between a 63 and a 63-5. They said it's a model 63, and the -5 is a production number. I also gave them the serial number and they told me it was produced in August of 2016. Armed with that info I went back in the shop to do a little wheeling and dealing.

Right off the bat they took $100 off the asking price. I know how to read their tags so I knew what they paid for it. I was able to talk them down a little more and still let them make a good profit. Got them to throw in a couple boxes of CCI mini mags too. It's going to be just a little over $500 including tax, so I think I did alright.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:52 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Aww. You did great! Enjoy that pistol. And post some targets. We like pix. And that revolver will give you years of service.

Last edited by flangster; 02-26-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Aww. You did great! Enjoy that pistol. And post some targets. We like pix.
For sure!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I felt kind of dumb. I called S&W twice from the gun store and talked to the same guy but hey... it's a big investment!
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM
JB in SC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I felt kind of dumb. I called S&W twice from the gun store and talked to the same guy but hey... it's a big investment!
Getting as much information as possible is never dumb. You got a nice revolver at a great price