Belgian T-Bolt; are all pillar bedded (like mine) ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Belgian T-Bolt; are all pillar bedded (like mine) ?

I bought a Belgian T-Bolt at a gunshow yesterday. When I removed the stock (not checkered) today I was surprised to see that the action screw was pillar bedded. It looks original, but I would not think the factory would have done this work due to time and cost. So, which is it......factory, or previous owner's modification? It is not a recent job if added by an owner.

It will be some time before I get to shoot this rifle. It came with both a gloss 1-4 x 20 Leupold scope with rimfire rings as well as a rear aperture sight. The scope is in fantastic condition, as is the rifle. I will install the scope and hope to get it to the range in April.

Last edited by Monster Man; 02-23-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:33 AM
JB in SC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's been a very long time (70's) since I owned my LH T-2 but I don't recall a pillar bedded action screw.

The T Bolts made between 1966 and 1973 had the salt cured stocks. Browning replaced a lot of stocks due to that issue. Perhaps yours was replaced?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
A picture could clear things up quickly. Without checkering, it would be a T-1. It should have the Browning glossy finish and the Browning buttplate should fit the stock perfectly.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 01:20 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1966 T-1 has a steel pillar for the action screw.

Mine had/has very little salt damage confined just to where the tip of the for stock contacted the barrel.

Here you can see the steel pillar.
I also just finished polishing my bolt, and will soon start working my new replacement stock.
Tap photo.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 02-25-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in SC View Post
It's been a very long time (70's) since I owned my LH T-2 but I don't recall a pillar bedded action screw.

The T Bolts made between 1966 and 1973 had the salt cured stocks. Perhaps yours was replaced?
My stock is checkered and in perfect condition, and I have determined that this is most definitely a salt-wood stock, though one that has been preserved rather well. The give-away was very slightly rusty butt plate screws, certainly not bad, but rusty still the same. There is no rust whatsoever on the barrel or action. The inletted areas of the stock were well coated with what appears to be the same or similar finish as to the outside, except the area below the butt plate did not have the finish......so there was obviously no finish barrier in the butt screw holes.....thus the lightly rusted screws.

I have cleaned off the rust, painted the screws, waxed them and replaced the butt plate with the original screws. I have ordered new old-stock butt plate screws. I will not use them until I determine if the paint and wax on the old screws prevents future rust. If not, perhaps I can bore out larger holes around each screw and then fit and glue in a wood dowel as a plug, which I can then drill for the new butt plate screws. Hopefully one of these two solutions will do the trick. This rifle is 49 years old, and as I'm 72, any repair should last for my life time.

But the front guard screw is pillar bedded; now, I assume perhaps this was done because of the salt wood. This is the first time I have run into a salt wood stock. I should have been more on my toes at the gun show. However I've wanted a Belgian T-Bolt for many years......and now I own one. And a very pretty one at that.

Last edited by Monster Man; 02-25-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
I bought a Belgian T-Bolt at a gunshow yesterday. When I removed the stock (not checkered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
My stock is checkered and in perfect condition,
OK, I'm officially confused. . . . .
Old 02-25-2020, 02:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
OK, I'm officially confused. . . . .
Why? It is the two butt plate screws that are a bit rusty; the exterior of the stock looks as new, as if the rifle has never been fired.