43c .22LR Snake Gun? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:46 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Ruger LCR 38 spl 13.5 oz. Try the trigger before you say no. Roll your own shot shells with something heavier than #12 shot. CCI does make shot shells for 38-357. I got rid of my 638 after it locked up on me.

Last edited by JTJ; 01-22-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 317 is the one which satisfies motovita's requirements. There is a 2" with fixed sights, no longer made, plus the current model, 3", 8-shot .22lr with FO sights.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelPilot View Post
The 317 is the one which satisfies motovita's requirements. There is a 2" with fixed sights, no longer made, plus the current model, 3", 8-shot .22lr with FO sights.
I have a 317 3" that I carry regularly, when the 2" silver model was available I was waiting for it to come out with a black finish, while I was waiting they discontinued it.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 AM
Larry in Bend
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once killed 24 Prairie Rattlers in one afternoon with 22 shotshells in a 4" model 34 S&W. I've killed many dozens of Prairie Rattlers over the years with shotshells in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 38 Special and 44 Special. I would say 6-8' is about it if you want to be sure of killing the snake. Of course, 38s and 44s stretch things out a bit --- but not that much. 10' is "way out there" on a Rattler.

In the centerfires, I use Speer capsules and #8 shot. I remember going from crimped WW 22 LR shotshells to CCI shotshells in 22 Mag. Although the Mag held almost twice the shot, it didn't matter that much.

A 2 1/2" .410 out of a shotgun is capable of 5 times the distance even though it doesn't hold much more shot than my .44 loads.

If you prefer the 22 ---- get it. It'll do the job.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:49 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Snake gun?

I've got a Governor for that....

Seriously we have a lot of Copperheads around here and I have good bit of mulched area around my house, in warm weather I usually have one of my NAA .22wmr's in my pocket, so far the Speer Shot Shells have done adequate work on them.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:59 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Six or so feet to target seems about right to me.

Larry in Bend has a good post. I agree with it. It squares with what testing I have done. I have very few poisonous snakes where I walk, so must take advice from folks that have the experience. I think I posted earlier on this testing, but will offer it again. Draw snake heads true to size on pine boards and place them at your feet and beyond. Shoot, one shot each. Observe the pellet hit density and depth of the shot penetration. Then make up your own mind as to what will work for you in the situations you are likely to run into. Thanks Larry.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in Bend View Post
I once killed 24 Prairie Rattlers in one afternoon with 22 shotshells in a 4" model 34 S&W. I've killed many dozens of Prairie Rattlers over the years with shotshells in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 38 Special and 44 Special. I would say 6-8' is about it if you want to be sure of killing the snake. Of course, 38s and 44s stretch things out a bit --- but not that much. 10' is "way out there" on a Rattler.

In the centerfires, I use Speer capsules and #8 shot. I remember going from crimped WW 22 LR shotshells to CCI shotshells in 22 Mag. Although the Mag held almost twice the shot, it didn't matter that much.

A 2 1/2" .410 out of a shotgun is capable of 5 times the distance even though it doesn't hold much more shot than my .44 loads.

If you prefer the 22 ---- get it. It'll do the job.
If I ever run into 24 rattlesnakes in a afternoon it will be My Sign to move to a different state ..... I won't be worrying if a .22 shot load will kill them and I won't be seeking them out !
Old 02-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Larry in Bend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Larry in Bend has a good post. I agree with it. It squares with what testing I have done. I have very few poisonous snakes where I walk, so must take advice from folks that have the experience. I think I posted earlier on this testing, but will offer it again. Draw snake heads true to size on pine boards and place them at your feet and beyond. Shoot, one shot each. Observe the pellet hit density and depth of the shot penetration. Then make up your own mind as to what will work for you in the situations you are likely to run into. Thanks Larry.
Thanks for your kind words. I have patterned my revolvers (and one pistol) at about 6-7 feet. Patterns vary with the firearm, longer barrels seem to do a bit better. My handloads are fairly light, which pattern a bit better than heavier loads. I use old cardboard as pattern boards. Pine boards might work even better ---- just be sure to wear eye protection.

beb- The 24 snakes were sunning at a denning site in the first week of October because the weather was very mild. I don't recommend it, but when a den was discovered near buildings or animals, we used to hunt it. It DOES tend to keep you on your toes. I had a friend who tanned the larger ones and ate the meat.

One other point -- In the mid 80s I lived in Mobile for several years and got to do some hunting and fishing. I saw Eastern Diamondbacks that made our Prairie Rattlers look like babies; Cotton Mouths, also. I killed a few Cotton Mouths with a 38 special using shot shells when they would try to get into our canoe but always felt a .410 would be a much wiser choice for these guys, due to their size. A Southern friend of mine used to say "want to get bit? Keep fooling with snakes"!
Old 02-01-2020, 01:17 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in Bend View Post
One other point -- In the mid 80s I lived in Mobile for several years and got to do some hunting and fishing. I saw Eastern Diamondbacks that made our Prairie Rattlers look like babies; Cotton Mouths, also. I killed a few Cotton Mouths with a 38 special using shot shells when they would try to get into our canoe but always felt a .410 would be a much wiser choice for these guys, due to their size. A Southern friend of mine used to say "want to get bit? Keep fooling with snakes"!
The heavier bodied Rattlers and Moccasins in Eastern NC are one reason I have the Governor, that and 44 shot shells for my Model 69, we had Family property near Belhaven NC, near the coast just off the Inland Waterway and swampy as heck. Never really trusted even the 38/357 shot shells for them.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like my 43c. It is my every day carry. The sights are right on and the big white dot is very easy to use.
I like the DAO but a 317 in ether 2” or 3” would also be good.
The little gun ‘points’ perfectly. 😁
The target is about 2” > 3”.
I replaced the factory springs with Wolff springs; 9# hammer & 13# rebound.
Good smoothing & Tetra Gun lube & action is still a bit heavy but much better & smooth.

Last edited by Oldmountain2; 02-12-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-12-2020, 05:35 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb42503 View Post
If I ever run into 24 rattlesnakes in a afternoon it will be My Sign to move to a different state ..... I won't be worrying if a .22 shot load will kill them and I won't be seeking them out !
Here in "Live Free or Die" land, we only worry about 2-legged snakes. They all left last night, though, and won't be back for another four years.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:56 PM
spaceguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This may not be a popular response and I don't intend to disrespect anyone, but you could always just leave the snake alone. Copperheads are by nature very secretive and typically most active at night when you won't be clearing land. If you see one, just walk away. I guarantee you it won't chase you down.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:45 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Walking away from the snakes ...

I respect nature and it all has a right to live. If I am out in an area I will most likely never return to, I would just give the snake a wide berth. But if I am in an area where I am likely to be again, then leaving the poisonous snake alive might contribute to having it bite me next time through. And doubly so if my children or grandchildren or pets might frequent the area.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:54 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Most Copperhead bites occur in mulched flower beds in our area, so if I see one he's dead.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:28 PM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The best snake load is the Remington .45 ACP crimped load. It hasn’t been made in years but will function and feed in most 1911’s and Sigs. It’s not the shot size but the pattern density. Contains 650 #12’s.

Last edited by JB in SC; 02-24-2020 at 01:37 PM.