looking for a lightweight knife - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Would you consider a neck knife. If so I recommend this knife. The sheath allows for it by removing the strap and run paracord through the hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxRHcbIlrmM
Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
Buck Lite MAX Large is what I'm thinking of.
X2, on sale for $18 without the gut hook.
https://www.buckknives.com/product/6...ife/0679FAM01/
Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
All these votes for the Leek but it doesn't have the 3.5" blade that the OP specified. I like the Leek too but not for what the OP has in mind.

When I'm wearing lightweight clothes and want a larger lightweight knife I carry one of my Spyderco Manix 2 LWs inside the waistband. I like the wire clip and the caged ball bearing lock has a good closed bias. So there's very low risk of it opening by accident. The wire clip works well with light clothes too. Spyderco's round hole makes one-handed opening a no brainer.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...k-frcp-handles

The steel is still listed as BD-1 (which takes a really keen edge) but they're in the process of changing over to BD-1N which is even better IMO

Spyderco/Bryd Harrier or Raven 2 were good suggestions for someone on a lower budget.

If the above suggestions don't appeal Spyderco has a lot of great choices in one-handed opening knives. I have examples of most of them. If you have any questions just ask

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/

Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There have been plenty of good suggestions but my choice would probably be a Spyderco Pacific Salt. They are very light for their size, not too thick and the H1 steel will not rust, even if it's kept inside a sweaty waistband.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 AM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Missed the 3.5 blade length. Check out the Kershaw Launch Series...own several as well...
Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
When I'm wearing lightweight clothes and want a larger lightweight knife I carry one of my Spyderco Manix 2 LWs inside the waistband. I like the wire clip and the caged ball bearing lock has a good closed bias. So there's very low risk of it opening by accident. The wire clip works well with light clothes too. Spyderco's round hole makes one-handed opening a no brainer.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...k-frcp-handles
Or even better, spend a few $ more and get CPM S110v steel: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...ue-frn-handles

But either way, the Manix has a great handle -- something you could hold on to in a pinch, and a serious blade.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:30 PM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spyderco Endura
Old 02-22-2020, 07:42 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric300 View Post
Kershaw 'Leek'. Great blade/edge, super thin, pocket clip, spring assist opening. Great pocket knife!

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Kershaw-Leek-Knives--401

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 02-23-2020, 11:44 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Or even better, spend a few $ more and get CPM S110v steel: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...ue-frn-handles

But either way, the Manix has a great handle -- something you could hold on to in a pinch, and a serious blade.
I have a CPM S110V Manix 2 LW also a CTS-XHP one. I also have a UKPK with S110V also and I'm not too thrilled with the steel. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone with mediocre sharpening skills and equipment. Yeah S110V will hold an edge for a long time but it you don't keep touching it up it's a lot of work to put the edge back on it. I have a Hapstone V7 with bonded diamonds and CBN rods for my Sharpmaker. So I have the equipment and skill for it but I'd rather use a steel that easily get back to hair popping sharp with the medium rods on my Sharpmaker. If I want something that cuts forever I'll take Maxamet over S110V any day.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnar View Post
There have been plenty of good suggestions but my choice would probably be a Spyderco Pacific Salt. They are very light for their size, not too thick and the H1 steel will not rust, even if it's kept inside a sweaty waistband.
I didn't even think of the Pac Salt. Not a bad idea for the OP's use. I sweat a lot but it's not very acidic and I don't have issues with rust. So the BD1 steel on the base Manix 2 LW is plenty stainless for my use.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:12 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
I have a CPM S110V Manix 2 LW also a CTS-XHP one. I also have a UKPK with S110V also and I'm not too thrilled with the steel. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone with mediocre sharpening skills and equipment. Yeah S110V will hold an edge for a long time but it you don't keep touching it up it's a lot of work to put the edge back on it. I have a Hapstone V7 with bonded diamonds and CBN rods for my Sharpmaker. So I have the equipment and skill for it but I'd rather use a steel that easily get back to hair popping sharp with the medium rods on my Sharpmaker. If I want something that cuts forever I'll take Maxamet over S110V any day.
Sure, but the Maxamet is a LOT more expensive. S110v is half-way in between something like BD1 and Maxamet -- a challenge to sharpen if you don't have a good sharpening system, but something that strikes a good balance between the THREE BLADE ATTRIBUTES -- edge retention, toughness and corrosion resistance. You know the old saying -- pick which two you want. Well, S110v provides a good compromise of all three.

I can't speak to other brands' use of S110v, but Spyderco seems to have found the ideal heat treatment. And there are plenty of places that will sharpen your knife for you for $20 if you don't want to buy a Wicked Edge or Edge Pro.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 PM
bhemry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Original poster said, "Looking for a thin, light weight knife with one hand opening for bicycle riding. Don't like something heavy in my pocket and sometimes ride in remote areas. Would want at least a 3 1/2 inch bade."

Sounds exactly like the knife I just bought a few days ago. I don't really care for the new-to-me flipper designs, even though my last two knives have been that. I greatly prefer a thumb stud opener; that way I don't have to position my hand all the way to the back of the handle holding on by my fingertips in order for my index finger to work the flipper hard enough to flip it open. So this knife has a thumb stud.

I don't usually like this long of a blade either, but decided that I liked the look of the knife so well that I'd get it anyway. It's a CJRB Centros. Has a 3.54" D2 blade. Cost me about $36 or so. Blade pivots open like it's on bearings and has a long pointy blade that is shockingly sharp right out of the box. Love the feel of the handle too. I never use a pocket clip after losing a couple items in the past that got snagged by the clip, so I remove those immediately. This is the first pocket knife I've bought in years that I like so much that I think I'll be carrying it for years to come.

Last edited by bhemry; 03-23-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thin, light weight, one handed opening and the blade lengths are about right. You might look at the CRKT 7096 CEO or the Broker Urban Trapper knives. They are not what you would consider a heavy duty knife though.