Looking at my first 37, what should I know? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 PM
maztech89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at my first 37, what should I know?

About a year ago I was at a semi-local shop and spotted a 37 on the wall in a fiberglass BR stock. Quickly looked at it and left. I called a few days later and was told he wanted a $1k but sounded negotiable. I left it at that until recently Iíve been thinking if it.

Over the last year Iíve done a fair amount of research on the 37 Rangemasters and called today to ask some questions and make sure they still had it. Hereís what I was told.

-Unmodified receiver, no extra base holes or anything.
-original unmodified barrel
-told itís a 1936 but wouldnít tell me any of the stampings other than serial number, not the date marks that Iíve learned (I think) should be on right side of barrel
-unknown trigger. I asked if it had a Kenyon or Canjar and was told ďIíd imagine it doesĒ so strictly speculation on there part
-no original stock or sights
-no spare parts
-when I looked at it the fiberglass stock was in ok shape but the bedding compound had oozed out with minimal cleanup and looked pretty crappy

What do I need to know going into this? I donít feel itís worth the asking price based on other auctions Iíve watched online. Iím a Benchrest shooter competing against only myself and the occasional buddy. I want a rim fire to help my wind reading and to have something ďdifferentĒ that I donít always have to reload for. My understanding is pre-40 non miracle triggers are awful? Fnding the good triggers arenít an endeavor Iím looking to undertake.

I can fix the bedding myself and repaint stock without issue. I know what I need for a scope mount and have leads on some Unertils locally that fit the bill nicely. Iím not willing to drill and tap an unmodified 37.

Thanks for your input and tolerating the long post
Old 02-18-2020, 07:20 PM
BR54
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found a 37(pretty much all original) at the end of last year. It was made in Aug 50. It has the original trigger, and took it to a smith for a trigger job, and the best he could do safely is about 2.5 lbs. Way to heavy for benchrest. But the Army had a min of 3 lbs trigger.

Still waiting for some decent weather to sight it in and see if it's a shooter.

Been trying to find a Canjar, but no luck. Found plenty for the 40X though.

You can always test the trigger pull at the shop, just take a spent casing or snap cap.

Can't tell ya on the price, I'm still a newbie myself.

Best of luck.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:34 PM
maztech89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks BR54.

For me to buy it Iím going to have to see it out of the stock and be allowed to run some snap caps in it. If itís a 3lb trigger I have no use for it unless he cuts his price in half which we all know wonít happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM
accurate22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rem 37

make sure it has the 5rd. magazine, or ss adapter.
I was lucky enough to find a mod. 37 with a 15x Unertl scope , thumbhole stock with hook butplate and regular plate, in a nice wooden box, but no magazine or ss adapter.
I was able to get the price down to $600, found a 5 rd. magazine but it was $325. and are hard to find.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM
maztech89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do know it has the SSA installed but no other magazine is included.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 AM
chinaski

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I recently picked up my first one, came into the local gun store and probably on the rack 4 hours before I snagged it. Mine was in great shape, original unmodified stock, Unertl 10x 1 1/2" scope, single shot adapter, front sight, miracle trigger and handstop. No rear sight or magazine, mfg year is 1947. Cost was 1100.00, which I figured was fine considering I had a rifle I was trading in also.

A little background, I've shot centerfire benchrest and some casual matches in my time, messed with plenty of bench and varmint rifles as a rank amateur gunsmith with access to a lathe and a mill. I bought the 37 to shoot as is and keep the gun the same and not monkey with. Could the trigger be lighter, yes. Could it be bed and free floated, yes. Could I tap and rig a regular scope onto the rifle, yes. Those things would improve accuracy but from messing with it prone off a rest I've been able to get rather consistent 1/4"ish groups with it. For me and what this rifle is that's great, it's fun, I can mess with it out in the pasture at different distance spinny targets, work on wind reading if I want, work on prone shooting, have fun, etc. Win a benchrest match, no. I know KC Young shot a 37 actioned bench rig some and he won a pile of rimfire benchrest back in his day so that rifle you're contemplating may do the same or close to it.

Just all depends on what you want it to do, though I don't think I'd pay a premium for a bench 37 without the original stock and other things coming with it but that's just me.

Last edited by chinaski; 02-19-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: poor grammar, probably still poor but better
Old 02-19-2020, 11:16 AM
maztech89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you chinaski.

My intentions are just as you describe. Backyard range toy, not something Iím trying to take to competitions in any way. 1/4Ē groups would make me pretty pleased with decent ammo. Not gonna feed it tennex but not goldenbullets either. Maybe some centerX or similar.

Iím not a trigger snob but have enough decent ones that I know I wonít enjoy shooting it if itís too heavy or worse gritty. It will all come down to if he will drop the price and go from there.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:46 PM
chinaski

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Probably should add that those 1/4" groups were at 50yds.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:00 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 3lb trigger rule wasn't courtesy of the US Army, but instead was an NRA rule. Technically it is still in the NRA rule book, however it isn't observed as the rules were changed 50+ years ago to allow a trigger lighter than 3lbs.

Triggers that were offered for the M-37 included:

- Thomas trigger - Not often found
- Canjar - Most often found aftermarket trigger
- Kenyon - Not often found and the price for one may go as high as $1K
- Wright Allen - Rare trigger which really is what Kenyon used to create his trigger

The Remington Miracle trigger is not bad and can be sufficiently lighted.

I would want to know the following:
- Whose stock is it? Robertson was a very popular stock until they stopped production.
- Who bedded the rifle - Was it a competent gunsmith or a shade tree gunsmith
- Does the rifle come with any documentation?
- Does it come with the magazine, single loader or both?

It might be worth $1K as there just aren't that many 37s floating around. Then again if the stock is awful and the bedding is terrible it might be $700.

Rifles from this time period of a labor of love given the lack of spare parts and accessories. Then again I doubt anyone would ever be able to break a 37 firing pin given its mass.

Bill
Old 02-20-2020, 07:55 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech89 View Post
About a year ago I was at a semi-local shop and spotted a 37 on the wall in a fiberglass BR stock. Quickly looked at it and left. I called a few days later and was told he wanted a $1k but sounded negotiable. I left it at that until recently Iíve been thinking if it.

Over the last year Iíve done a fair amount of research on the 37 Rangemasters and called today to ask some questions and make sure they still had it. Hereís what I was told.

-Unmodified receiver, no extra base holes or anything.
-original unmodified barrel
-told itís a 1936 but wouldnít tell me any of the stampings other than serial number, not the date marks that Iíve learned (I think) should be on right side of barrel
-unknown trigger. I asked if it had a Kenyon or Canjar and was told ďIíd imagine it doesĒ so strictly speculation on there part
-no original stock or sights
-no spare parts
-when I looked at it the fiberglass stock was in ok shape but the bedding compound had oozed out with minimal cleanup and looked pretty crappy

What do I need to know going into this? I donít feel itís worth the asking price based on other auctions Iíve watched online. Iím a Benchrest shooter competing against only myself and the occasional buddy. I want a rim fire to help my wind reading and to have something ďdifferentĒ that I donít always have to reload for. My understanding is pre-40 non miracle triggers are awful? Fnding the good triggers arenít an endeavor Iím looking to undertake.

I can fix the bedding myself and repaint stock without issue. I know what I need for a scope mount and have leads on some Unertils locally that fit the bill nicely. Iím not willing to drill and tap an unmodified 37.

Thanks for your input and tolerating the long post

Personally, I would pass on it and look for a 40X. I have had a couple of 37's both with the "Miracle" trigger, even with that trigger it hard to pull. I also did not like the way the bolt had to be removed. Besides that, 40X's can be upgraded easily. JMO
Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
UR

Absolutely right about him cutting the price in half. Why would he? The rifle came with a trigger that satisfied NRA weight of pull requirements of the day. Alter it and you reduce the value of a stock factory 37. The miracle trigger as is is a fine trigger. Just learn how to shoot the rifle.

Quote:
Thanks BR54.

For me to buy it Iím going to have to see it out of the stock and be allowed to run some snap caps in it. If itís a 3lb trigger I have no use for it unless he cuts his price in half which we all know wonít happen.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:25 PM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iíve had

Up to four 37s at one time. Not a single miracle trigger was ďgrittyĒ.

Quote:
Thank you chinaski.

My intentions are just as you describe. Backyard range toy, not something Iím trying to take to competitions in any way. 1/4Ē groups would make me pretty pleased with decent ammo. Not gonna feed it tennex but not goldenbullets either. Maybe some centerX or similar.

Iím not a trigger snob but have enough decent ones that I know I wonít enjoy shooting it if itís too heavy or worse gritty. It will all come down to if he will drop the price and go from there.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 PM
Eagleye

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
M37 Remington

I have a model 37 Remington. It has been modified some, has a Canjar trigger and a replacement stock. This rifle is a very good shooter, often shooting in the 2's at 50 M [54 yards] It likes several of the high end match ammo, but seems to like a certain lot of TENEX that I have a few bricks of.
50 M target below to view. Dave.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:21 PM
DRAGON64
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bug Holes! Very nice. Whatever I end up with, I hope it will like eating SK Rifle match, as I just bought four bricks at the start of the pandemic...