Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:23 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Almost sold my Buckmarks

I got my Buckmarks out last night to check them out for a future range trip .
Itíd been awhile since Iíd shot them .
I couldnít believe how hard it was to rack the slide on them . My arthritis in my hands and wrists has gotten worse , so I guess thatís part of it .
Gave thought to dropping them off at my favorite Pawn Shop Gun dealer and was prepared to take a loss .
But after a quick search , I found Tandemkross has a remedy for my problem . But at $50 each . OUCH !
So it came down to losing about half on the little pistols or dropping $100 to upgrade them .
The upgrade won , but I ordered them from Midway since they have free shipping on $49 at the moment , but had to pay sales tax .
I already have cocking rings on my Rugers , so now Iíll have them on my Buckmarks .
Old 02-05-2020, 12:27 PM
NVaVettes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Adjust, adapt, improvise. Overcome!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The arthritis in my hands started catching up with me a few years go so I started looking around for slide rackers. I've settled on two: the Handi-Racker, a solid piece of orange plastic that works well with my 1911 and smaller Ruger nine and a Pachmayr slide racker that is more compact . Both items items work well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 02:14 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
I couldnít believe how hard it was to rack the slide on them . My arthritis in my hands and wrists has gotten worse , so I guess thatís part of it .
Well, they shouldn't be super-hard to rack unless the hammer is not staying cocked. Most people would agree that when you have to manually cock the hammer as part of racking the slide on a Buckmark, the effort to rack the slide is substantial. But when the hammer is already cocked, it shouldn't be that hard.

I understand that arthritis would make even a moderate-effort rack much harder, but you might want to make sure that the slide is not binding, and is properly lubricated. There are a lot of surfaces where the slide rubs the frame. Lock the slide back, put a few drops of oil on a q-tip, and lube them all.

I regularly work with kids, teaching them how to shoot pistols, and a lot of them have difficulty racking slides. So, I have a few tips to help rack any difficult slide:

* Hold the gun with your off hand, and use your strong hand to grip the slide (opposite of normal). This is especially helpful if your strong hand is significantly stronger than your weak hand.

* If you rest the gun on the bench, upright but with both the bottom of the grip and the front of the barrel on the bench, and then push the gun down firmly against the bench to keep it from moving, it's much easier to rack the slide. This allows all your effort to go into the slide itself, because none goes into moving the gun. It also allows you to pull the slide straight back (if the gun pivots in the holding hand while racking, it changes the angle). I know it sounds like this wouldn't make much difference, but try it before you knock it. It's amazing how much this helps.

* If you don't have a bench handy, make sure you hold the gun very firmly. When they have difficulty racking the slide, most people focus on the gripping of the slide, rather than on the hand holding the gun. If your hold is weak, racking the slide takes a lot more effort.

* If you don't have a bench handy, hold the grip as high up as possible, and try pushing forward with the hand holding the gun, instead of, or in addition to, pulling back on the slide. Some people find this motion easier.

* While keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction and never at any part of your body, grasp the sides of the slide with all four fingers on one side of the slide, and the heel of your hand on the other side of the slide. This is especially helpful if the slide is slippery, or your thumb and forefinger get greasy or tired. If you bring the gun close to your chest when you do this, you can better use your arm muscles to do the work.

* If you cannot grip the slide tightly because it hurts the skin on your fingers, put a 1" x 5" scrap of leather in your range bag, and wrap that around the rear of the slide when you need to rack it. The leather protects your skin from sharp slide serrations, and from getting scraped up if your fingers slip. A piece of heavy cloth might work, too, but leather gives a good non-slip grip. I use one for dry-fire practice, when I'm manually re-cocking the hammer over and over; it's much easier on your hand that way. An old leather glove works, too, but takes up more room in your range bag.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Old 02-05-2020, 03:06 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
Well, they shouldn't be super-hard to rack unless the hammer is not staying cocked. Most people would agree that when you have to manually cock the hammer as part of racking the slide on a Buckmark, the effort to rack the slide is substantial. But when the hammer is already cocked, it shouldn't be that hard.

I understand that arthritis would make even a moderate-effort rack much harder, but you might want to make sure that the slide is not binding, and is properly lubricated. There are a lot of surfaces where the slide rubs the frame. Lock the slide back, put a few drops of oil on a q-tip, and lube them all.

I regularly work with kids, teaching them how to shoot pistols, and a lot of them have difficulty racking slides. So, I have a few tips to help rack any difficult slide:

* Hold the gun with your off hand, and use your strong hand to grip the slide (opposite of normal). This is especially helpful if your strong hand is significantly stronger than your weak hand.

* If you rest the gun on the bench, upright but with both the bottom of the grip and the front of the barrel on the bench, and then push the gun down firmly against the bench to keep it from moving, it's much easier to rack the slide. This allows all your effort to go into the slide itself, because none goes into moving the gun. It also allows you to pull the slide straight back (if the gun pivots in the holding hand while racking, it changes the angle). I know it sounds like this wouldn't make much difference, but try it before you knock it. It's amazing how much this helps.

* If you don't have a bench handy, make sure you hold the gun very firmly. When they have difficulty racking the slide, most people focus on the gripping of the slide, rather than on the hand holding the gun. If your hold is weak, racking the slide takes a lot more effort.

* If you don't have a bench handy, hold the grip as high up as possible, and try pushing forward with the hand holding the gun, instead of, or in addition to, pulling back on the slide. Some people find this motion easier.

* While keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction and never at any part of your body, grasp the sides of the slide with all four fingers on one side of the slide, and the heel of your hand on the other side of the slide. This is especially helpful if the slide is slippery, or your thumb and forefinger get greasy or tired. If you bring the gun close to your chest when you do this, you can better use your arm muscles to do the work.

* If you cannot grip the slide tightly because it hurts the skin on your fingers, put a 1" x 5" scrap of leather in your range bag, and wrap that around the rear of the slide when you need to rack it. The leather protects your skin from sharp slide serrations, and from getting scraped up if your fingers slip. A piece of heavy cloth might work, too, but leather gives a good non-slip grip. I use one for dry-fire practice, when I'm manually re-cocking the hammer over and over; it's much easier on your hand that way. An old leather glove works, too, but takes up more room in your range bag.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Thanks Dave for all of the suggestions.
The slide is much easier once the hammer is cocked . Very little effort needed.
Left hand is the weaker one and really hurts trying to hold onto the frame while grasping the rear of the slide . Especially on cold days .
Iíve found the ring ďHaloĒ type rackers work well . I just didnít realize they were available for the Buckmark .
I like the Buckmarks , theyíre accurate little pistols and really like the grip .
I have a 4Ē Field Target and a 4Ē Bull Barrel Stainless .
Old 02-05-2020, 07:57 PM
itshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you take note of the slide styles that the Tandemkross Halo will mount properly on? They wonít work on the older style slides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshooter View Post
Did you take note of the slide styles that the Tandemkross Halo will mount properly on? They wonít work on the older style slides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ! Mine are newer models , purchased last summer . Thanks
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There is also a 2 finger style like an AR charging handle. It does require cutting down the slide as it mounts on top.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:26 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think you will be happy with your decision. They are good pistols and a simple solution will keep you shooting them for years to come.

You may also want to try a good red dot sight if you havenít already. As we age, our eye sight diminishes and the red dot sights can really help.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 AM
10X1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an older Buckmark which does not have the little protrusions on the back of the slide. So I could not install the Tandemkross Halo Ring.

A few years ago, I sent my slide off to Bill Striplin to have the slide racker installed. It's pure genius and feels like a charging handle on an AR-15.

It is extremely easy to move the slide back and feels more second nature than you realize.

He can even install it on the newer slides. It also looks better than the Tandemkross Halo Ring.

https://striplincustom.com/collectio...acker-serrated
Old 02-13-2020, 07:40 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend has the same problem, but perhaps not as severe. Next time I saw him at the range, I brought him one of those golf gloves for his racking hand and it made the job a lot easier for him. Not as effective as those wingie thingies, but a lot cheaper.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:14 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Both of my Buckmarks are wearing Halo rings . If this rain stops today , one of will be going to the range with me .
Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Took my 4Ē barreled stainless micro bull Buckmark to the range today .
The Halo ring worked great , but the Buckmark didnít .
It shot CCI MiniMags without any issue , but had light hits and FTF with Federal 36g. Bulk ammo .,
And it has a lock back issue with rounds in the magazine. Sometimes Iíd have 3-5 lock backs per Magazine . Iím guessing itís a weak slide lock spring. I was wondering if I could remove the spring and stretch it open a little and add enough to pressure to keep the slide lock down until the last round .
When it did shoot , i was able to shoot the center out of my target at 10 yards resting on my elbows .
Old 02-13-2020, 08:39 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Took my 4Ē barreled stainless micro bull Buckmark to the range today. The Halo ring worked great , but the Buckmark didnít.
It shot CCI MiniMags without any issue , but had light hits and FTF with Federal 36g. Bulk ammo .
And it has a lock back issue with rounds in the magazine. Sometimes Iíd have 3-5 lock backs per Magazine . Iím guessing itís a weak slide lock spring. I was wondering if I could remove the spring and stretch it open a little and add enough to pressure to keep the slide lock down until the last round.
You should contact Browning about those problems and let them fix it.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I got to researching my issues and one of the suggestions was to check the top rail screws on the rail that runs between the barrel and the rear of the frame .
Son of a gun , both screws were loose . The front screw was at least two turns loose .
And I read to clean the chamber for the light hits . Said if the shells werenít completely seated , when the firing pin strikes , it would lose energy pushing the shell instead of striking with full force .
I hope this fixes my issues . The pistol groups too good to not straighten out and keep .
Iíll find out one day next week.