Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:54 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Wipe Out Patch Out / No-Lead

TEST #1: Hi Sports Fans! Got the Wipe Out Patch Out and the "No-Lead" package two days ago. The guinea pig for this test is the Marlin 15YS. You already know this isn't the best finished bore on the market, not even close. The lands are smooth and shine like silver, but the grooves are littered with "chatter marks". Many of the chatter mark grooves are so rough, it is difficult to tell with the Lyman Borescope if it is lead or the reflection of the chatter marks. However, this test follows cleaning of the bore with JB Compound and Iosso, and includes a few hundred bronze brush strokes. There remains some small lead spots on the lands and 1/2" to 1" from the chamber there are two grooves full of lead at the 12 o'clock position. This is where the Wipe Out test started. The directions were followed, so some things are omitted. So far: 30 minute soak with Patch Out, barrel was already clean, so no visible junk removed. Then a 20 minute soak with No-Lead. No signs of "grey matter" on the patches. Soaked overnight with Patch Out, about 14 hours. There was some slight / medium shades of grey on the first two patches. Twenty minutes with No-Lead, then Patch Out. Another 20 minutes with No-lead, then Patch Out. Ok, that is three 20 minute sessions with No-Lead, and a few with Patch Out. Took a look with the borescope. There are now 6 " new spots" of lead on the lands, and the two missing grooves in question are down to 1/4" and 1/2" from the chamber. Take into consideration this is compacted lead. I'm really not too worried about the spots on the lands, having removed much lead (with different products) I know that lead tends to "reposition" itself down the barrel when patched due to the nature of the procedure and the compacted lead is difficult to remove / dissolve at best. The lead that has stuck to the lands is usually easier to remove than it was previously. Overall, I am happy with the two products, they do seem to work. Well, so much for taking it "down to the metal"....in one application. Perhaps with the TRP3 (a much better quality barrel), I'll have better luck with getting it "down to the metal" in a few applications. I will try at least 3 more applications of each product on the Marlin, and hope for the best. Ok, I'll try four, if no better???? I'll let you know!....................Later Gator.....AH

Last edited by ammohog; 01-26-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:58 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Today using the Wipe Out products, Marlin 15YS. Last night applied Patch Out and let sit for 14 hours. This morning used No Lead for 20 minutes, borescoped. Second application of No Lead for twenty minutes wet patches and 10 laps with wet nylon brush. Borescoped, I do believe the brushing did help. The large lead spots on the lands are almost gone. Third application of No Lead for 20 minutes brushed 10 laps with nylon brush. Down to 1/4" lead in the two grooves mentioned in previous post. Fourth application was Patch Out, used 10 laps with nylon brush and set for 3 hours. Not much difference with scope, the lands did appear to look much better. The 5th application was with No Lead and used a bronze pistol brush - 10 laps. Borescoped and the grooves that were full of lead are becoming visible next to the chamber. There are still 2 small spots of lead on the lands. I do believe the Wipe Out Patch Out and the No Lead have proved their worth. It it certainly a good lead remover and cleaner. I will probably do at least two more applications tomorrow with the No Lead and a bronze pistol brush. I really wasn't expecting a "miracle" using the Wipe Out products, but considering how bad the lead buildup was....... these two days have me convinced that there is a place for these Wipe Out products on my cleaning shelf. Hope this helps your cleaning in the future. Next is the Cooper TRP3. I can't wait to see what it will do with a "quality" barrel. Later Gator..... AH
Old 01-29-2021, 09:42 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Yesterday I did two more 20 minute applications with the No Lead in the Marlin 15YS. Borescoped, couldn't tell any difference in the twp grooves next to the chamber at the 12 o'clock position. Also did two 20 minute No Lead treatments in the Cooper TRP3, no brushing. According to the borescope, the (TRP3) grooves are slightly visible next to the chamber, also in the 12 o'clock position. I find it interesting that both rifles have the firing pin located in the 12 o'clock position. I did find the TRP3 barrel was able to remove the lead from the barrel much easier with the No Lead product, no large spots of lead on the lands, just a few very small streaks. Obviously, the quality / finish of the barrel does have something to do with how well the Wipe Out products work. When using the Wipe Out No Lead, the lead on the Patch Out after the 20 minute session is over appears to be a white foam(ish) and can be difficult to see using the Pro Shot white patches. Usually two patches using the Patch Out clears out the foam from the No Lead using the weed eater pull thru. Obviously the product is working, and I do need to remind myself that compacted lead is difficult to remove - at best. I'm not sure exactly when to throw in the towel and try another product with the Marlin, I may give it a few more applications first. For the TRP3 and the 15YS, a trip to the range (hopefully Sunday) just might be the deciding factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 08:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting for the range report.

Thank you for that product test report.

I am eager to hear how the rifle shoots after the treatment.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting for the range report.

How did it shoot before comparisons would be great, also.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:56 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Wow you are good, I can't see the grooves or chatter marks in a micro groove barrel.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:07 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbud View Post

How did it shoot before comparisons would be great, also.
Hi stewbud: The Marlin was shooting 3/4" groups at 25 yards with ammo it really likes. Before the lead chugged it up, it was shooting "itty bitty" groups at 25. The TRP3 was in a terrible strain to shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with Eley Match. All out of Match, will probably use Club or "if" I have ammo that it likes in my ammo box. With the ammo dilemma, I'll really will have to look and see what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Wow you are good, I can't see the grooves or chatter marks in a micro groove barrel.
Hello FlysAlot: With these new bifocals, there are times I'm happy just hitting the paper and the berm with the same shot. My peek at the grooves - credit goes to the Lyman borescope!

Last edited by ammohog; 01-31-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Big improvement!

Thanks again for the report.

I see that product is in stock, so I better get a bottle.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM
243winxb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NO-Lead

No-Lead only works for 20 minutes. So i wet bore every 30 minutes till batches come out clean. No other slovents in between. Works well on my 357 & 44 mag Revolvers.

If leading is super heavy, using a Pro Shot chamber brush helps progress.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:26 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
What color is your Wipe Out No-Lead? Mine is clear as water, and the one they show at Sharp Shoot R is described as a clear red color. ???

https://sharpshootr.com/no-lead/

As far as directions on the No-Lead, the three steps are self explanatory. However, included in the second step is "DO NOT let NO-LEAD work for any longer than 20 minutes. Then remove the dissolved lead with a patch soaked with WIPE-OUT or PATCH-OUT." Then after the 3 steps, the package says "Do not let it set longer than 20 minutes". ??? I did notice if you brush your barrel with a nylon brush soaked in No-Lead (10 - 20 laps) after applying a wet patch, when the 20 minutes are up and you pull a patch of Patch Out, there is a LOT of foam on the patch.

Last edited by ammohog; 02-02-2021 at 07:10 AM. Reason: oops
Old 02-02-2021, 07:09 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
No-Lead only works for 20 minutes. So i wet bore every 30 minutes till batches come out clean. No other slovents in between. Works well on my 357 & 44 mag Revolvers.

If leading is super heavy, using a Pro Shot chamber brush helps progress.
243winxb - I do understand the quality of metal in your revolver is barrel is probably much better than the steel in most .22lr rifles. After a dozen or so applications of the NO-LEAD and borescoping in the Marlin, I am growing impatient with the (now) slow progress. I am tempted to try your method and see if I get better results.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:06 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Using a borescope....

After more than a dozen applications of Patch Out and No-Lead in the Marlin 15YS, I really have reached an impasse with lead removal from the barrel. The compacted lead is still in the leade area and "waves" in the grooves up and down the barrel. There are a few small spots and one rather large spot of lead on the lands. After a range trip and shooting a box of Eley Target at 25 yards, the groups of five at best were 1/2". I was hoping this product would be all inclusive about removing all the lead, but it just didn't happen. I am now of the opinion this product will become part of my "lead removal product collection" and used in conjunction with other products that also work up to a point. Using lead removing products in your .22lr barrels should be changed when no progress is being made, and use a different product that makes a visible difference in lead removal, verified with a borescope. Wipe Out products are easier to use, patching with a rod or a weed eater pull thru is certainly much easier than brushing with Iosso or JB Compound and Kroil, or Blue Wonder. However, to get it "clean" down to the metal and shooting like new, it will take a "village" of well known proven lead removing products. I am also of the opinion that if you wait until accuracy goes bad to clean out the lead in your barrel, you have waited much too long and now it's time to pay the piper. The .22lr target benchrest shooters I've ask about lead buildup said "just don't let it get that bad". That is certainly good advice. Stay on top of your strict regiment for preventing lead buildup in your barrels for best accuracy from your rifle or pistol and taking a look with the borescope on a regular basis will certainly help this effort and guide you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to change products when after a few applications if there is no visible change. ....... AH

Last edited by ammohog; 02-04-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:22 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Glad my Marlins don't have any lead build up in the barrels

Sorry to hear about your woes AH

Keep 'em clean boys

pipestone
Old 02-06-2021, 09:21 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Just the Facts

I sure miss the "good old days" when shooting cans off the fence was the mark of accuracy. Then.... the sad day arrived.... I proceeded to buy a box of USBR targets. Probably the worst mistake I have ever made. Now the majority of rifles that I have will do just that very well - most of the time, with the right ammo., and if the barrel is clean and lead free. Wanting that type of accuracy from a .22lr rifle is a quest only a few of us understand, and even fewer are more than willing to do something about, by keeping our rifles as accurate as possible, and that means "clean". I digress...... Noticing that accuracy wasn't what it should be for a few rifles, then came the borescope purchase. After that....well you already know. That's right, now I've got a table full of "I Want to Keep it Clean" potions, some that really work, and some that that don't work very well.... if at all. I sure miss the good old days, when I thought my rifle was clean due to the fact I was pulling clean patches after a good barrel scrubbing. Bo..... I didn't know Diddly! I have noticed that some still suffer from the same affliction / visual handicap that I once had about clean barrels (pre borescope days), and I understand completely. However the fact remains for all of us is that didn't or don't have a borescope - there are times we are giving advice about barrel cleaning that just ain't so. When I read reviews on cleaning products these days, I really want some advice from a gun owner that has a borescope, and actually uses it to verify what they are saying is a fact. "The proof is in the targets", is a common cry from the no borescope crowd. This sounds impressive, but in fact it won't hold up for long. Shooting 15 to 25 seasoning shots and then two cards of USBR with very decent scores between cleanings - that's the proof in the pudding we are actually looking for. So far as I have been able to determine, not one product is all inclusive when it comes to removing accuracy destroying lead buildup from the bore of a .22lr barrel. I have tried brushes with bronze wool, pure copper dish pads and big 45 metal cleaner for 75 laps....followed with a look with the borescope. I quit using all of them for lead removal. If you think they remove all of the lead from a .22lr barrel, you don't have a borescope. Probably the only thing that actually removes a good portion of lead from your .22lr rimfire barrel is copper washed or "jacketed" .22 HV ammo (used at the end of each range trip), such as CCI Mini Mags or something similar....but sure to shoot about 25 to 50 of them before doing a "before and after" photo. After that, you've got a head start of lead removal from a .22lr barrel using the best proven available solvents / cleaners. Best of Luck....... AH
Old 02-11-2021, 07:52 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Good News for the Wipe Out!

After about 300 rounds of SK+ in the new Kidd 18" bull SS barrel, there were a several lead streaks about two to five inches from the leade / chamber area...in the grooves and some smears starting on three of the lands. A twenty minute treatment of Patch Out, and two 20 minute No Lead treatments, all of the lead is completely gone. Yes, I went "brush-less" on this barrel. I am somewhat impressed! I did borescope the barrel after the first No Lead treatment, and it was much better, but some lead still there. I did pull wet patches until clear after about every 125 rounds (or so), it really was a surprise to see the lead already streaking in the Kidd barrel. It's gone! ........ Keep an eye (borescope) on your barrel, and the Wipe Out products will work just fine. This is the "just don't let it get that bad" treatment! AH

Last edited by ammohog; 02-11-2021 at 08:01 PM.