Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

single shots?

6K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  Gizmo60 
#1 · (Edited)
Allow me to pose this question here, as I don't know of a better place to put it.

Aside from target rifles and older Mausers, what do you consider to be the best single shot bolt action sporter type .22 rifle? I know that Anschutz produced some with a 64 action in the early sixties, but I don't know the model numbers. Some of you know that I've gone into the deep end of the pool with fully optioned Canyon Creek Annies, but I started more than fifty years ago with a basic pre-war Stevens single shot bolt action, so I have a liking for that simple type of rifle.

#39 ·
This has to be the best thread I have read on Rimfire Central, the TEDDY BEAR RAT post brought back so many memories, He said it so well, I'll be 75 years old in 2 months and two days. There is something about .22 rifles that reminds me of my youth, a box of .22 LRs were 50 cents, longs were 40 cents and shorts were 29 cents. deposit of 2 cents on pop bottles provided ammo much of the time, it only took 25 pop bottles to get a box of .22 LR, that's about all you could carry in a toe sack, (burlap bag) My Grandfather gave me my first .22 rifle, a Stevens Crack shot, it was a treasure, complete with broken stock skillfully repaired with baling wire wrapped then taped over. Yes, lots of memories, Thank you all who contributed to this thread!

#40 ·
Almost by definition, there are no high-end vintage single-shot bolt-action sporters, as they would have been targeted towards the low end of the market, like someone mentioned already. So, it really gets down to either making one, using a Mauser or other vintage single-shot target rifle action, or buying a single shot NULA...and stocking it ala Canyon Creek, ... Camster’s been down that road.

TBR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.