Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Evolution of my Exemplars

Had a bit of time and thought I'd put together a lil post with the evolution of Exemplars I've played with. My first one I purchased from a local silhouette shooter that shot a few perfect 40 scores with. They were just coming available when I was getting out of IHMSA but it's easy to see how much better they were over the Contenders and revolvers we played with early on. I made a crude aluminum chassis for it and shot a few longrange rimfire matches and it did quite well. Amazed how well it shot out to 200 yards and beyond.

I acquired another original wood stocked 10" model somewhere but it just layed around with the occasional outing to let people shoot it. It shot well with the 3x9 leupold but wasn't one I grabbed when heading over the hill. I recently acquired another all out no holds barred Exemplar build by another local longrange rimfire competitor that sold it to another friend who I purchased it from.

If I was to have built an all out longrange or benchrest rimfire pistol this is exactly how I'd have done it except for maybe not making it green. He had Joe Updike and Accurate Rifle Systems make a one off chassis based on one of his ELR rifle chassis which gives it a long stance which is rock solid with the Remple Bipod. It has chambers inside the chassis sides which allow lead shot to be added if desired.

It was sent up to Gene Davis to have a 16" Shilen SS Match Ratchet barrel installed. I've heard he's one of the best and is very picky on barrels he installs. If he's not happy with the way it's slugged it's not put on the gun. It has a DIP 25moa mount but I'm putting on Burris Signature XTR Zee rings with another 30moa which should give me 55moa increase and allow me to dial to 500 yards with the 20X SWFA moa-quad scope.

I've tested it over the hill and let others put some rounds downrange and it's boringly easy to keep them all in the center of a small steel plate the same size as a clay pigeon at 195 yards with SK Biathlon. I'm really anxious to get the Burris rings on and stretch it out more. Randy Wise has a similiar gun built by Mr. Davis but the regular version of an ARS chassis and he won the Texas ELR rimfire event a couple years ago with it.

The longrange rimfire game has sure changed the past few years and it's been interesting to see the evolution rifles have taken so I thought it's be cool to post some pictures here of my journey. The stock Exemplar is going to be sold to a friend that might change it to a chassis gun for our matches. I hate to sell anything, I enjoy shooting all my rimfires at the matches with peep sight guns being my passion the past couple of years. Amazing what can be done with metallic sights and also these pistols.

Family Photo

Mostly original Exemplar with 3-9 Leupold with Stoney Point turret.

14 inch barrel removed from I think the Green Chassis gun.

My first Exemplar with the aluminum chassis I hacked out of a couple blocks of metal.

One of the first Exemplar aluminum chassis ARS made for an Exemplar. This is a really nice chassis and the same one Randy Wise uses in competition. I just haven't found a spot for it yet.

The latest member of the family. I didn't build this but am impressed with everything that went into designing and putting it together.

Beauty and the Beast

Ugly Betty, Win 52 with a 2X4 stock and Big Green Exemplar. Not sure which will win in a shoot off but Ugly Betty has a hard to beat track record. As you can see "pretty" isn't real high on my priority list. It if shoots then I don't care how it looks.

A few random shots.

A friends Daughter checking them out.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 05-16-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:36 AM
bilrus61

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
Nice!

I've found a strange thing with my Exemplar. It shoots Aguila Super Colibri into about 3/4 inch at 25 yards. Nothing else comes close to grouping them like that. My CZ Scout puts them into about a 1.5 inches. I think the shorter barrel on the Exemplar gives less friction to the bullet and lets it shoot better whereas the longer bores, even on a carbine, play havoc with the velocity of this little round.

What ammo shoots the best out of yours?
Old 05-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The old Wolf MT shot well but got the typical dropped rounds the same as rifles. I tried SK Biathlon the other day and at 50 yards it kept stacking them on top of each other but since I'm waiting on the Burris Signature Rings (hopefully tomorrow) to get real serious about seeing how it does.

I got Big Green last weekend during my match, I stuck the SWFA on Friday evening and got a quick zero and shot a few shots at my 1/4" humbler (smallest) target at 50 yards then split a bullet on the are at 50 yards.

Saturday during lulls in the match I let buddies try it on the 195 yard steel clay pigeon and with one miss adjusting the elevation and 1 high on the plate 3 shooters shooting 10 rounds each put the other 28 shots into a pretty nice center mass group about 1 1/2" high and about 2" wide.

A stock Exemplar moves around like you're resting it on marbles compared to a heavy chassis and a Remple bipod. My 10" settled down immensely and shot way better groups with my build aluminum stock and heavy bipod. Those short stiff barrels will really shoot but are very sensitive to shooter input and consistency in execution of each shot.

Not sure this helps but a nice heavy F-class bipod and a good firm setup in the rear should help shrink the groups. For our longrange matches the SK Biathlon has been the ticket.

Topstrap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2021, 07:34 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Exemplars

I've been thinking of trying a bipod on one of mine, maybe it would help fight some of my tremor? Have you ever been down that road?
Old 05-19-2021, 09:17 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think you'll be amazed the difference a good bipod will make. I've tried all types of bipod and rests but a wide stance, heavy bipod really makes a big difference. The Henry Remple is my favorite right now but uses his mounts which are pricey unless you have access to a mill and can make extras for other guns.

Any of the straight verticle adjustable leg F Class are good but make sure they pivot which helps adjust for slight table variations. The wide stance Accu-tac is also really good. They aren't cheap but they are heads above the Harris or Caldwell units.

The added weight and stability combined with a good firm rear bag will have you shooting groups that rivals rifles. Just like a rifle usually weight is the biggest key to hiding minute mistakes we make from shot to shot, you'll find that using a good bipod and rear rest you'll be using less imput on the gun to control it from shot to shot.

Good luck with your gun, these things will really shoot but like any handgun or light rifle they are picky on how they like to be held.

Topstrap