Ruger customer service rant - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Terryinfla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger customer service rant

Hey I am blowIng off some steam as a person who owns several Ruger firearms. I recently started shooting steel matches with my mark iv hunter. I soon found out I needed more that four magazines, so I orderEd a two magazine value pack from grab a gun.

I got the new magazines in time for steel practice Friday and found that one new magazine would not eject if it had any bullets left in it. In between runs I would have to shuck out the remaining bullets before I could eject the magazine to put a fresh fully loaded magazine in. I also noticed it would only eject with the slide locked back. I marked the magazine and after practice I examined the magazine and could not see any burrs or anything different from any of my other magazines. I disassembled the gun cleaned the magazine well good put a drop of oil on the magazine release and did a thorough cleaning.

I then loaded each magazine with 4 or 5 bullets and tried to eject them and theY all ejected properly except the one new magazine. So I downloaded it and put it in and again it would eject properly when empty. I removed the upper inserted the bad magazine and using my thumb on the top of the magazine I discovered any downward pressure would stop the magazine from ejecting.

So I called Ruger customer service thinking this is a easy fix, they would replace the magazine. Nope not easy at all, I was told to write a letter with my serial number From my mark iv and description of the problem and mail the letter and magazine to Prescott, AZ.

Am I not seeing things correctly but I would have thought Ruger would have sent me out a new magazine with a return shipping label to return the bad mag. I mean these are not as expensive as Sig Sauer or CZ mags but they ainít cheap either and now I have to pay to ship it out plus my time.

I guess I expected more from Ruger.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryinfla
So I called Ruger customer service thinking this is a easy fix, they would replace the magazine.
You're right - an easy fix. So WHY should Ruger replace a perfectly good mag when all the one you have needs is a couple swipes on a stone?

The offer to do it for you at your expense seems very reasonable to me.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Terryinfla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Because I bought a new product that is obviously out of speck or has a unknown issue. When I buy an item I should not be required to repair a manufacturer defect for it to work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, small burrs on edges of stamped sheet metal is a very well known issue.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:42 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryinfla View Post
Because I bought a new product that is obviously out of speck or has a unknown issue. When I buy an item I should not be required to repair a manufacturer defect for it to work properly.
I get it. I also expect that when I buy something that it will work as intended. With that said very few companies will replace a product with just a phone call. If word got out that a magazine complaint to customer service would get you a free mag Iíd expect theyíd have more than a couple people call in.

Seems like they gave you an option to spend ~$5 for a new magazine. Not free but not what Iíd consider horrible.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:10 PM
smallguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just where exactly would you take those couple of swipes with a stone? i always want to learn.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:06 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the two mags for my SR22 had an issue with hangups. I called Ruger and had a new mag in a few days. Guess it all depends who you talk to. When I called I did not ask for a mag but specs as I thought the lips were out of wack but they sent me a new mag.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About 15 yrts ago one could call Ruger service and order the parts for new mags. The lady would enter your order, all she needed was how many mags you wanted. Cost for parts was $9/mag plus a couple bucks for service/handling/order which they still charged me last time I ordered firing pin, small parts that like to fly and get lost etc..

Some sharpies ordered 100 parts for mags and Ruger finally cut that 'service' off.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I would expect a product to work when purchased. If it is an easy fix, I would do it myself. Not all buyers are mechanically inclined. Ruger should just replace it, fix it when it arrives and sell it on a special sale. This isnít Brain Surgery. It is simple customer service.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:50 PM
mapper

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
So WHY should Ruger replace a perfectly good mag when all the one you have needs is a couple swipes on a stone?
Itís not a perfectly good mag. Ruger should replace it.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:39 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think I would call back a second time and hoping to get a different customer service rep. May be a different story if you do. Have the serial number ready to give them.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:56 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I think I would call back a second time and hoping to get a different customer service rep. May be a different story if you do. Have the serial number ready to give them.
+1, I have found this strategy very effective with dealing with customer service. For some reason they made does not like the sound of your voice or they just had a problem with somebody that sounds like you or they may have had an argument with a friend or a family member and you got punished for it. So try again and see if you can get a better result.

One time when I was returning a gun for service they asked me what my home address was I gave it to them then they asked me where I was going to ship it from and where they were going to ship it back to that I said I’d like it at my office they said no we only ship to and from homes I explain to them that I worked and was not too keen about them leaving a rifle on my porch if I wasn’t at homeThey said they wouldn’t do anything else I said thank you I’ll think of something else. I called back five minutes later got a different rep and when I was asked what my home address was I gave my office address and everything worked out just fine.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 09-25-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back in my working days I did the call back thing with the company that provided our medical insurance. In a few instances they declined to pay for part of some claim and I would call to get it paid for. In a few instances I couldn't get any satisfaction from the phone rep so I would wait for 30 minutes or so and call back. I can remember two instances where it took three calls but I managed to get every one of my claims paid in the full amount. Persistence pays off in these situations.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If you push up on the magazine baseplate while pushing in the magazine release, then remove the pressure on the mag while still holding in the release does the magazine eject?
Old 09-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapper
Itís not a perfectly good mag. Ruger should replace it.
Removing a teeny stamping burr isn't exactly rocket science, nor is it a reason to expect Ruger to replace it.

There's only 2 parts involved in holding the mag in. The shelf on the release:

and the pushout on the mag:

Since only one mag isn't releasing right - there's no need to look at the release shelf.

You can see where the shelf has worn away the bluing on the pictured magazine pushout. Follow the same path with your fingernail and see if it snags on a burr when it reaches the edge. Then run a fingernail out to the same edge from the bottom of the pushout. Remove the burr(s) with a couple swipes on a stone. Done.

If I were the type to whine about such minor flaws, I'd have to give up shooting (and just about everything else I enjoy).