Locking back after last round - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Redlegvzv
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Locking back after last round

I never use the bolt hold-open lever as a slide release, and STILL several of my otherwise perfectly-functioning Mark III pistols will not stay open after the last shot. ****ed if I can figure out why not. If I rack the slide back with an empty magazine it will stay open, but not when I fire a magazine of ammo. Since the guns function perfectly otherwise, I've about given up on this issue.

Using the same magazines, some of my Mark III pistols WILL stay locked back after the last shot, so I suppose that means that it is not the magazines.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I shoot only pretty good ammo, such as CCI Mini Mags, Winchester HV, and similar.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post
I never use the bolt hold-open lever as a slide release, and STILL several of my otherwise perfectly-functioning Mark III pistols will not stay open after the last shot. ****ed if I can figure out why not. If I rack the slide back with an empty magazine it will stay open, but not when I fire a magazine of ammo. Since the guns function perfectly otherwise, I've about given up on this issue.

Using the same magazines, some of my Mark III pistols WILL stay locked back after the last shot, so I suppose that means that it is not the magazines.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I shoot only pretty good ammo, such as CCI Mini Mags, Winchester HV, and similar.
OK, I'm not gonna assume anything at this point, so bare with me. The bolt stop assembly is activated by the magazine follower button, as that button is pushed up to the top of the magazine after all rounds have been expended.

!) Remove the upper and make sure that the bolt stop assembly will freely move up, and that the rear face, top corner of the bolt assembly is not damaged. You already expressed that you don't use the thumb piece as the bolt release, but the bolt stop assembly can still received inflicted damage by the bolts return force smacking into that edge.

2) Make sure that the follower button can freely & smoothly slide upward in the magazine track for it. What diameter are the follower buttons you are using?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Redlegvzv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
OK, I'm not gonna assume anything at this point, so bare with me. The bolt stop assembly is activated by the magazine follower button, as that button is pushed up to the top of the magazine after all rounds have been expended.

!) Remove the upper and make sure that the bolt stop assembly will freely move up, and that the rear face, top corner of the bolt assembly is not damaged. You already expressed that you don't use the thumb piece as the bolt release, but the bolt stop assembly can still received inflicted damage by the bolts return force smacking into that edge.

2) Make sure that the follower button can freely & smoothly slide upward in the magazine track for it. What diameter are the follower buttons you are using?
Thanks, I'll look into this. By follower button you mean the button on the magazines? they are all standard Ruger Mark III magazines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into this. By follower button you mean the button on the magazines? they are all standard Ruger Mark III magazines.
I do. Those should all be the 0.326 diameter, three ring variety, and should be able to easily lift the bolt stop assembly on an empty magazine.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Redlegvzv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I do. Those should all be the 0.326 diameter, three ring variety, and should be able to easily lift the bolt stop assembly on an empty magazine.
Right. These are all recently purchased Mark III magazines from Ruger. I own about 20 of them (yes, I'm a nut) which also tells you that no individual magazine has been used all that many times.

As I said, if I manually rack the slide on an empty magazine, it will stay locked back. But when I fire the magazine to empty, it does not lock back on two of my fairly new Mark III pistols. Weird.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you sure your thumb isn't resting on the release when shooting?

It's easy to do, especially with target grips.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Redlegvzv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Are you sure your thumb isn't resting on the release when shooting?

It's easy to do, especially with target grips.
Positive.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
which ammo? any "quiet"?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Right. These are all recently purchased Mark III magazines from Ruger. I own about 20 of them (yes, I'm a nut) which also tells you that no individual magazine has been used all that many times.

As I said, if I manually rack the slide on an empty magazine, it will stay locked back. But when I fire the magazine to empty, it does not lock back on two of my fairly new Mark III pistols. Weird.
Yah! Does read to be a bit weird. With those two magazines, when empty and installed, and if you pull the bolt back, the follower button will not engage the bolt stop assembly?

How do those follower buttons slide up the track in the magazine? Could there be burrs hindering the upward movement?

I know you've been around here, and have shot your Rugers long enough, and know better than for you to have your thumb on the bolt stop thumb piece.