Buckmark 5.5 won't lock back on last round - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
arw
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckmark 5.5 won't lock back on last round

I have a Buckmark 5.5 I purchased in 1995. For a couple years now the slide does not lock back on the last round (2 different magazines). It's an annoying problem, but nothing catestrophic so I haven't had it fixed yet.

I have cleaned the area between the slide stop and the frame to make sure there is no gunk or burrs. This works for a little while (maybe 5 or 6 mags worth of shooting) and then the problem is back. I can manually retract the slide and it locks back just fine. I'm to the point of wanting to polish the mating surfaces (i.e. remove the black finish.)

A friend told me about RFC and suggested I log in here 'cause youse guys was da' best (according to him.) So here I am and that's my problem. I did a cursory search looking for someplace else where this might be addressed and did not come up with any hits.

Any suggestions?

OBTW I looked for an INTRODUCTIONS thread and didn't find anything, Perhaps I simply missed it. I'm a 60 year old retired computer consultant who's offering Concealed Carry Classes here in Florida. Been shooting over 50 years, handguns for about 34 years and find myself shooting more and more rimfire these days... This Buckmark is, by far, my favorite target gun...

Thanks in advance for the help...

Allan -- OBTW I go by "birdman" on other forums, but someone already took it in here I guess.

Last edited by arw; 04-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome aboard! It should look like this under the left grip. With the grip on, the slide lock should feel a little loose and have just a small amount of spring tension pulling it down. Make sure the tiny leg of the spring is through the hole in the slide stop. Check to make sure the grip isn't binding something.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 PM
arw
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Mine looks slightly different, but I had never considered bending the little spring slightly to relieve the downward pressure just a little... I'll take it out to the range again on Wednesday & test it out...

Again thanks for the tip,

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 06:41 PM
retiredsquid
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredsquid
Allan,
I wish I knew half of what Chim has forgotten about with Buckmark pistols. He is the man.
Regards,
Rich
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 PM
lexmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same problem with mine, as another member instructed me to do, check your mags. Look at the button that you hold down while loading the magazines, is it perfectly round or is there a bit missing off the top?

You last shot catch might have worn it down a bit...
Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
HotIce

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Being the last round, I'd check the mags spring, and try different mags.
Clean the mags too, and take a look at how the follower operates when it's in the uppers positions.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
22bond

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
95 Buckmark is that the one right after Challenger III?

I just a used Buckmark - the one that uses the same mag as the Challenger III and not the current Buckmark.

W/an empty mag in the gun, I pull back on the slide and it doesn't hold back.
I tried all my Challenger I,II and III - they don't hold back either.
Is that how they are like that?

My current Buckmark does hold back.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I have an '86 Buckmark that came with the same mags as the Challenger(narrow baseplate). The slides always has and still does lock back after the last round.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up replacing the Stop Open Latch and its little spring to fix this problem on my Buck Mark Camper.

The latch was very rough on its bottom edge and had worn the little "buttons" on my magazines. The friction was too great to allow the magazine spring to reliably push the stop-open latch upwards after the last shot.

This is where the binding was occurring:

This is what my magazine buttons looked like:

The new Stop Open Latch Assembly is nice and smooth and does not bind up nor wear the magazine buttons.

There is a balance between the little spring that holds the stop open latch down and the magazine's spring that tries to push it up after the last round.

If the little latch spring is too weak, the latch can bounce upwards and stop the slide even when you have NOT reached the last round.

If there's any roughness causing friction where the mag buttons push against the stop open latch, then you end up with the magazine spring being unable to push the latch upwards.

You can also get stiffer springs for the magazines (you just order replacement mag springs designed for the Ruger "mark" pistol mags). They fit right in and work fine with more upwards force.

But in my experience, if the stop open latch is properly formed and smooth, and if the little spring that holds it down is bent just right, then the stock Browning magazine springs work just fine.

I now have a happy Camper.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
HotIce

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great post and great pics Jim, make perfect sense.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
22bond

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Great pics Jim.

You sure have a lot of lub around that area.
Is it necessary and what kind are they?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22bond View Post
Great pics Jim.

You sure have a lot of lube around that area.
Is it necessary and what kind are they?
I was desperately trying anything when I shot those photos. So I had an excessive amount of lube in there while playing with things by hand, seeing if I could get it to stop binding up.

I generally just use a tiny coating of grease there these days. I've used a couple of products, but I'm not really convinced that it makes much difference. The real fix for me was getting the new latch piece and spring.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
22bond

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
thanks Jim

I checked my mag followe button too and it does show some rub but not as bad as yours.
Probably the gun was barely shot.

I cleaned the Buckmark and shot it.
For the first 2 mag, the slide would not hold back on last shot.
Made me dry fire twice - didn't see any damage to chamber.

Then suddenly it would lock back on every last shot.
(Forgot to try it w/just an empty mag and pulling back on the slide.)

Now I am in love w/Browning again - the best used Browning I have bought - unbelievable accuracy and feel.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
dwnthehatch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a brand new Buckmark Camper Whisper that's intermittently doing the same thing. There is absolutely no wear on the mag button. I'll take a look at the sping.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While you've got it apart, feel and look-at the bottom edge of the stop-open latch. It should be nice and smooth.

It could be rough, causing the excessive friction like mine had, but since the gun is so new, maybe it just hasn't had enough time to wear the mag buttons.

You can actually play with all of this with the gun apart. Just put an empty mag in the gun and see if it can push the stop-open latch upwards or not. You kind of have to hold the latch in place with your thumbnail, but if you do it right, it doesn't put it in a bind, and you can tell if the mag buttons are able to push it upwards.

On mine, with the rough stop-open latch and the spring that was in there, an empty mag was unable to reliably push the latch upwards. And it obviously needs to be able to do it easily and quickly so it will move up in time to capture the slide before it can slam closed after the last shot. It's all got to happen fast!