Wolf Match Extra dissapointment - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 PM
dhuze
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolf Match Extra dissapointment

I picked up a brick of the Wolf ME and so far it hasn't shot good at all out of two different rifles. I don't get it. There are a couple other people using the same lot as me with one hole groups. I can't get better that a 3" group with mine at 50 yards. Hell I can't even get two shots out of 10 to touch. I can put 5 rounds of Blazer or PMC sidewinder in the same elongated hole, but nothing with the Wolf. I shot some Eley EPS which had a hell of a group, but I didnt have time to fine tune it.

I didn't know it was possible to get Wolf Remington? (I had to make that comment)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Every gun is different. If your gun shoots cheap ammo well there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
ejk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Wolf ammo shoots great out of my son's match chambered 10-22 barrel, , but shoots terrible out of our factory barrels that like standard to high velocity ammo just fine . Every barrel is different .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Number10GI
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Just because one lot will shoot well in someone's rifle doesn't mean it will do well in another. A friend had a lot of Lapua that shot fantastic in his rifle but when I tried it in mine it shot patterns instead of groups. He had a lot I tried that did poorly in his rifle but did well in mine. The only way to find out what shoots well in your rifle is to buy a variety of different brands, find what brand does well and then buy different lot numbers in that brand till you find one that performs to your expectations. There is no such thing as one ammo that shoots well in all rifles.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Must be new to .22's. Every gun and even two of the same make and model may like two totally different ammos. You must try a box or two of many ammos first, before buying bricks.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
dhuze

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm aware every gun is different. I'm just amazed that some of the better ammo available looks like I was using a shotgun instead of a rifle. I might bring all my .22's to see if any of them like the Wolf. If not I'll bury it with the squirrels.

I'm glad they like the cheap stuff I just wish PMC still made the sidewinder. That stuff was cheap and shot great groups in everything I shot it in. I only have a half a brick of that left, but the Blazer seems to do almost as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
farkill

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Must be new to .22's. Every gun and even two of the same make and model may like two totally different ammos. You must try a box or two of many ammos first, before buying bricks.
Gizzy, sometimes the condescending tone of your posts is a little overwhelming. Especially so considering that three other posters before you said the same thing without talking down to the OP. I'm not trying to cause any trouble, just pointing out that the OP has fifty couple posts and doesnt need to to hear crap like that from you.

dhuze, I've found that both wolf ME and MT shoot pretty darned good in just about everything I've tried them in, from pawn shop marlin 60's to 1712's and 57M's and 452's. Although they may not shoot as well as some other ammo in the gun you tried, I'm a little surprised that they were that bad. Typically for me, they shoot nice round groups in mostly everything while throwing an occassional flier in guns that like them less. I think you're on the right track with trying them in some of your other guns before giving up on them. You may have a rifle that's been ho hum up till now turn into a great shooter with them.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 AM
NickSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 ammo differences

In the last year I took up 22 silhouette shooting at my club as they started holding matches. Right away I found that my 10-22 carbine was useless past 100 yards with any ammo. So I laid down the bucks and bought a CZ Varmint model 453. A lovely rifle but then I went on a hunt for accurate ammo. None of the cheaper ammo in bulk packs was accurate enough past 100 yards. A lot of my buddies were going to the higher priced ammo but I am cheap so I started looking at medium priced ammo and found right away that CCI mini mags would print 2 inch groups at 200 yards in my rifle. Once I found this out I bought a case of the stuff and use it for 150 and 200 yard stages. I use Federal bulk for shorter ranges as they shoot well enough out to 100 yards to knock all the pigs down but I am still having trouble with chickens off hand but thats me not the rifle or ammo.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
dhuze

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkill View Post
Gizzy, sometimes the condescending tone of your posts is a little overwhelming. Especially so considering that three other posters before you said the same thing without talking down to the OP. I'm not trying to cause any trouble, just pointing out that the OP has fifty couple posts and doesnt need to to hear crap like that from you.

dhuze, I've found that both wolf ME and MT shoot pretty darned good in just about everything I've tried them in, from pawn shop marlin 60's to 1712's and 57M's and 452's. Although they may not shoot as well as some other ammo in the gun you tried, I'm a little surprised that they were that bad. Typically for me, they shoot nice round groups in mostly everything while throwing an occassional flier in guns that like them less. I think you're on the right track with trying them in some of your other guns before giving up on them. You may have a rifle that's been ho hum up till now turn into a great shooter with them.
Don't worry about Gizzy. I've already seen a few of his posts with his better than thou attitude. Theres one (or two) on every board. I can read through his attitude and pick out any real information he adds. He's welcome to his opinion.

That was my point about the Wolf is that it shot THAT BAD. It seems to be the worst ammo out of everything I have, and I have a large variety from Eley and Wolf to bulk pack Federal and Winchester to CCI mini-mags and beyond. If I don't have at least 25 diferent types of .22's I dont have any at all. Not bad for someone whos "New to 22.s'"

Last edited by dhuze; 04-11-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 AM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
my worst ammo ever besides that junk russian in the orange box was Eley 10X. would not shoot in ANY gun i shoot it in thats 12 different guns. JUNK ammo burned me from ever liking Eley high end ammo again. they could have cared less when i contacted them too. some lots of Wolf dont shoot that great out of some guns. i find that MT is more likley to do well out of most guns VS ME which is more specific.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
+1 on what nemohunter said about Wolf MT vs ME, more of my rifles like the MT than the ME.
I keep some ME on hand, but I've usually been happy with the results of Eley Sport, Fiocchi, or Wolf MT in most of my guns, and some of my high end guns want Lapua Midas + to reach peak performance.

I own or have shot more than 40 rimfire rifles and have yet to find one that likes Federal 510 - yet I keep some around...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Paul39
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awhile back I did some serious ammo testing with a rifle that had just been rebarreled, including three lots of WME. One lot was notably substandard.

I wish there were more consistency among lots of higher end emmo, but I guess you can't take anything for granted.

You just have to do the testing.

Paul
Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM
mikengracie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkill View Post

And who are you to give it back to someone else? I didn't read any condescending tone to his post but I did to yours.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
dhuze

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was at my club today for a lollipop shoot and some of the people there couldn't believe that the Wolf shot like it did. I showed them my target and they all were baffled. I also showed them the target with the sidewinder which they were impressed with. I shot my PMC sidewinder today. It's too bad they are almost gone.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
steve b.

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dhuze,

Rimfire's are an odd thing when it comes to ammo selection, and it seems like your rifle is showing some unusual preferences. I would keep with the Sidewinder for now, and try to sample some different ammunition types when you can. The PMC has fairly large dimensions, and that may be just the right fit for your chamber. If you can, try a bit of CCI SV and CCI Select. They also run a bit on the large side of the scale.

Just for grins, if you can, see if your rifle easily chambers the CCI Velocitor round. If it gives you little resistance when you close the bolt, then you more than likely have a fairly large chamber and may need to use sporting ammunition for better performance. A good fit there will tend to yield good accuracy at times, but unfortunately sporting ammunition is not very consistent lot to lot and even round to round, so you may still get a few fliers.

3" groups from Wolf is very odd, but that may just be how your rifle shoots. Don't forget to check all the other details in terms of cleaning, proper torque on your actions screws and such.

Keep us posted and good luck.

s.