Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:46 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rem 582 secont receiver screw

If anyone is interested, I just finished putting a 2nd screw in the receiver on my 582. I got a #14 drill, 12-24 tap and drilled out the hole under the small screw in front of the trigger guard with a 7/32 bit. Marked where it hit the receiver and drilled and tapped a 12-24 thread. I had to clean out the inside of the receiver pretty good and get rid of the burrs. I found some 12-24x1.5" socket head screws at amazon, 25 of them. I shortened one for the front lug, had to make a waist on it to clear, same length as original. The rear one I had to remove about 1/8" from the threaded end so it didn't go through the receiver and hit the bolt. Drilled out the hole for the small screw in front of the guard with the 7/32 bit and put it all together. Now I've got the barrel free floating in front of the lug and it's tight in the stock. I may slightly bed it with some JBWeld. Now I need a good day to go out and shoot it. I really haven't put much through this 22.

When I got the rifle the stock was a mess. Birch, so I stripped it, made sort of a Schnabel front end on the thing by just filing and sanding it down. Refinished it with minwax special walnut and put Tung oil on it. Looks better than original. I hate yellow stocks. It sorta looks mahogany now, not quite like walnut.

I sort of filed off the pattern on the side and made the head a bit more like a button head, but didn't remove too much, the socket is not deep enough to make it look like a real button head. I did one and the Allen key barely goes in it.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the results. We'll see how it shoots.

Make that a 12-28 tap.

Last edited by DogT; 02-14-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:59 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like that should work well,let us know how it shoots when you are done with it.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will do. I try to follow up on my threads. It's supposed to be 50 on Sunday. We'll see if I feel up for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
My 582 is walnut. Did you put on a sling stud? I have a barrel band but I would prefer one in the stock. Just not much meat there with the channel for the tube.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:52 AM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, I have no sling studs. Not worried about it. I prefer straps that I can put where I like.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got it all together and got it out last week. Put about 20 Auto Match through it and it groups about 1" or a bit less at 50yd. I guess that's about it. Anyhow I'm done with it, it's not a great shooter. My Savage MKII shoots better as well as the 513T. But it's a nice tube fed Bolt action. Kinda like my Win 61 pump better.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM
Dead Eagle Eye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I would not give up on it based on shooting Federal Automatch. That doesn't shoot well in most of my 22s. Try different ammo. It may surprise you.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could try some Eley Club in it. That seems to shoot good in everything I have. But usually the Fed AM shoots pretty good in everything I have but with pretty consistent flyers. There were no flyers with the 582, unlike all the others. I've got a couple others too I can try, but it's got to warm up.

I need to get to the eye dr. too, I've got a floater right in my good eye right where I look through it, plus the cataracts which they want to fix. We'll see, so to speak.