New Taurus .22 semi auto pistol - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Gunsaccessories

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thank You for the report BOARHUNTER. It is a fun gun for sure. I did some accuracy testing this evening also.
You're assessment is right on!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 PM
copfish
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
%%%%, I played with one yesterday at my LGS. I passed, but finding this thread made me call them and have them hold it for me. Totally missed the mag capacity when I looked at it...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
at 300 bucks and change ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARHUNTER View Post
Well, my buddy bought one today and sent me a picture of a fairly impressive 25 foot group. And then he dropped it off at my office so I could give it a try tomorrow during lunch.... I fear I will be rummaging around in the safe tomorrow afternoon looking for trading material....

BOARHUNTER
Are these going for the street price of about 300 ? Some things I can do better

buying locally due to transfer fees and tax entered into the equation.

They sure look good. The trigger guard is a little different shape, but that

thread protector look is cool. With that high capacity, shooting will be a blast.

I like my CZ 75 Kadets, and that pistol looks close to their size.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 AM
BOARHUNTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure the sticker price til I pick mine up during lunch today, but I think it is priced a bit over $300.

The owner of the gun shop has been a close friend of mine for over 40 years and is a client, so I usually get "family rates."

His family rates are retail PLUS 10 PERCENT! I don't think he cares much for family....

BOARHUNTER
Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Boarhunter.

Sounds about like what I was expecting - decent, but not a high-end comp gun or anything.

It should do exactly what I need it to do - which is mostly put a smile on my face but also be something that I can start a new shooter with.

I paid $309 shipped from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore plus a few bucks to the FFL.

Last edited by jkv45; 02-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:20 PM
BOARHUNTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jkv45,

You pegged it.

I put 100 rounds through my own Taurus today, and it will be a fun gun to have and shoot.

My gunshop has mini-mag "over-runs" priced at $9.99/200. I have found them to be just as accurate and reliable as first run ammo. I think I will pick up a thousand rounds and commit to running them through the Taurus over the next couple of weeks.

BOARHUNTER
Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Gunsaccessories

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wrote out a bulleted list of my thoughts of the TX22. Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

-Polymer frame, full size, striker fired, 22lr pistol.
-Polymer frame, Solid 7075 aluminum slide Steel insert for breach face, Steel
barrel
-Includes 2 mags, Thread adapter
-4.1Ē barrel. Threaded barrel. Includes thread adapter for 1/2x28. It is a fixed barrel design. But easily removable. Barrel just feels and looks like good quality.
-TX possibly, probably military jargon means Training Excercise
-16 round capacity. Will have 10 round version.
-Mags probably need to be loaded carefully because of the design to allow for 16 rounds.
-5lb trigger. Very short though. Great trigger! No blade safety. Built into trigger shoe. Some take up. Most of that is the trigger shoe closing the gap to the actual trigger. A little bit of creep, but very minimal.
-TX22 17.4 ounces. Glock 23 23.8 ounces. But TX22 frame is 8.55 ounces where Glock 23 frame is 4.6 ounces.
-Sights replaceable. G2C and 709 sights.
-So far very reliable. It didnít like M22. Shot Winchester White Box, Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet just fine. Of course, it shot higher quality stuff just fine. Ran 325 round gauntlet. Had 2 small stoppages.
-For me very accurate handgun. Itís not a bulls eye gun though. Thatís not what it is intended to be.
-Taurus markets this a competition ready. They donít mean by that that this is a high end bulls eye gun. They mean it is competition ready in the sense of running around shooting steel targets in a fast paced competition.
-Easy takedown.
-The polymer frame is very high quality. It feels nice. The metal central block adds rigidity and weight in the right spot. The polymer parts donít flex. All the molding marks are very smooth. Looks like very good attention to detail of the lines. No sharp edges.
-Dry fire safe
-Standard 1913 rail
-Fairly small ejection port, but I havenít had any problems with ejecting. It generally throws the shells 6-7 feet.
-No undue wear. Some loss of finish on slides and underside of barrel where it is natural.
-The Slide stop catches on the steel impact insert instead of on the aluminum slide. Very good idea!
-Nice stippling on the frame. Not too aggressive like SWMP92.0
-No mag safety
-Manual safety. Just right. Wonít engage unless cocked.
-Scallop on side of frame is perfect for resting forward thumb.
-Mags have thumb stud for load assist. Biggy1 showed how he removed the stud and used a rod to pull follower down
-Mags seem to be of high enough quality. They arenít the best I have handled, but they are good.
-Grip is nice. A little on the big side.
-Suppressor ready!
-Mag release is reversible and metal.
-Like a friend of mine jkv45 said about the gun.
ďSounds about like what I was expecting - decent, but not a high-end comp gun or anything.
It should do exactly what I need it to do - which is mostly put a smile on my face but also be something that I can start a new shooter with.Ē
-Pretty good price! MSRP is 349, but street price should be around 300. Some a little more some a little less.
-Designed and Made in the USA
-1 year warranty
-Mine is a sample size of 1.

Pros:
Higher Capacity
Built very well
Nice Trigger
Threaded Barrel
Easy Takedown
22lr

Cons:
Some parts made out of polymer
1 year warranty
22lr
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 PM
BOARHUNTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent and accurate summary, Gunaccessories!

BOARHUNTER
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 AM
cnj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I don't see it giving the Ruger real competition as far as sales, the one year

Taurus Repair Policy screams loudly about that. If you have a problem with a

Taurus, it will be gone for two months, so two months of a year warranty only

leaves about 10 months of coverage , if you have to send one back.

Ruger will take care of their own, and so will Smith and Wesson. Taurus used

to be lifetime repair on all their pistols, but those days are gone.

You are 100% correct. You know, I was really thinking hard on getting a TX-22 (and still might), but the more I chew on this fact, the less likely I am to purchase any more Taurus products. Their lifetime warranty used to be kind of a "safety net", in that, if you got a problematic pistol, you knew you could always send it back for repair at no cost (sometimes they would even pay the return shipping). As a whole, I disagree with the overall direction that Taurus is heading as a company.
- They still manufacture mid-level quality (at best) guns.
- The lifetime warranty has now turned into a 1 year warranty on all models created after Jan 1, 2017.
- Taurus states that previous models (created prior to 1/1/2017) still carry the lifetime warranty........until that model goes out of production......then the remaining lifetime warranty is considered to be 5 years.
- They seem to have adopted a strategy of discontinuing existing models, and creating ever-so-slightly-different new models to get out of the lifetime warranty. The PT111 G2 to G2C, and PT809 to TH9 come to mind.
- They still let pistols out of the gate that have inherent design flaws, and refuse to acknowledge and correct the issues (Taurus Spectrum).
Like I say, I MAY still get a TX-22, but if I do, it will need to be at a significant discount, and it will be well after all of the consumer based beta testing is done, and the results are favorable.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
You are 100% correct. You know, I was really thinking hard on getting a TX-22 (and still might), but the more I chew on this fact, the less likely I am to purchase any more Taurus products. Their lifetime warranty used to be kind of a "safety net", in that, if you got a problematic pistol, you knew you could always send it back for repair at no cost (sometimes they would even pay the return shipping). As a whole, I disagree with the overall direction that Taurus is heading as a company.
- The lifetime warranty has now turned into a 1 year warranty on all models created after Jan 1, 2017.
- Taurus states that previous models (created prior to 1/1/2017) still carry the lifetime warranty........until that model goes out of production......then the remaining lifetime warranty is considered to be 5 years.
- They seem to have adopted a strategy of discontinuing existing models, and creating ever-so-slightly-different new models to get out of the lifetime warranty. The PT111 G2 to G2C, and PT809 to TH9 come to mind.
- They still let pistols out of the gate that have inherent design flaws, and refuse to acknowledge and correct the issues (Taurus Spectrum).
Like I say, I MAY still get a TX-22, but if I do, it will need to be at a significant discount, and it will be well after all of the consumer based beta testing is done, and the results are favorable.
I have heard this before about Taurus, and this type of perception is something they should address as a company.

The TX is the first Taurus gun I've purchased, and it's strictly for casual shooting and instruction. Would I carry a Taurus? Probably not, but I've had issues that needed to be resolved by the factory on 2 recent purchases from "top tier" manufacturers - so nobody is producing perfect guns. It does surprise me that one of the guns has been in production for decades and still needed to go back for modifications.

The other guns in the TX's class and price range that I considered (M&P, Walther, SIG) can have problems of their own. The Ruger SR seems to be a quality piece, but I didn't care for how it felt. I was not considering a new Ruger Mark IV, Buckmark, or that type of traditional pistol.

I am giving Taurus a chance, as they did when they designed, manufactured, and assembled a new gun totally in the U.S. Credit should also go to the designer, Jason Pittman, who looked to be completely in-charge of the project from start to finish including manning the Taurus booth at the SHOT Show.

To me it really didn't matter what company name was on it, I was prepared to purchase it based on the design and the fact that the designer was out front during the entire process and seemed very creditable to me. His complete involvement was really the key.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:07 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recently posted on YouTube by Gunsaccessories -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7JsYg-umO8
Old 02-20-2019, 04:16 PM
BOARHUNTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent video review by Gunsaccessories! Everything a potential buyer needs to know about this newest of 22 handguns.

BOARHUNTER
Old 02-21-2019, 06:06 AM
cnj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a side note, KY Gun Co. has the TX-22 16 round model on sale for $299.99 w/free shipping at this time.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:58 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That used to be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
The policy of grandfathering in models in production before Jan1. 2017, is

no longer the case. An example of this is the 992 Tracker in .22/ .22 magnum.

The warranty on 992 Tracker models will be one year now. and when I asked

about which policy will be used in the event of needed repair and how they

determine one year or " Lifetime is by serial number. I asked what serial

number the policy changed on , and I was told they didn't know.

I had wanted one to simply play with, and I even considered it after the

Warranty change, but the street price increased about 60 bucks, and the finish

is far rougher. The blued models were almost black and highly polished in the

past, they are now flat black. The stainless models are far rougher in

appearance now. I went for the Smith and Wesson 617 for just a few dollars

more. I also went crazy on the less than 400 buck price for the Stainless

Bisley .22 . This seems to be the year of getting less for more money from

several arms makers, but there were a couple of bargains out there so far.

Rant over, but it appears the Taurus TX .22 is one of the arms deals that is

worth the dough. Kirby seems to be a pretty good pistol shot, I would like to

see him wring one out . The younger guys clean my clock with open sights

these days. LOL !!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Terry G
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm buying one. All my pre 1990 Taurus revolver's and semi-autos are still working fine. Taurus quality took a nose dive when they tried to get in the CCW market without adequate QA & QC. Customer Service was terrible. I'm going to buy a first run TZ22 and see how it does. I've wasted more than $300.00 on other guns, so what the heck. If it doesn't pan out, I'll post it on every Forum I can think of. Ditto if it's all it's cracked up to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B Taurus.jpg (17.4 KB, 120 views)